3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Oil / Antifreeze Problem PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Oil / Antifreeze Problem PLEASE HELP

I have a 1987 Camaro IROC Z28 and have recently switched it to be a carbeurated setup from TPI. There were antifreeze lines that ran from the air pump to the oil filter, but after we got rid of the air pump due to it being seized, we plugged up each antifreeze line. Unfortunately these lines started to leak and I went ahead and removed the piece above the oil filter that the antifreeze lines went into and was wondering if there was something i needed to do or steps I needed to follow in order to make sure that antifreeze would not run into the oil. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM

??

Something here does`nt sound right. I will look at my `88 Iroc tomorrow when it is light out and finish up my reply. Anti-freeze does not connect or run through the air pump nor does it connect above the oil filter. What you have above the oil filter sounds like an adapter for oil cooler lines.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by martignettij
I have a 1987 Camaro IROC Z28 and have recently switched it to be a carbeurated setup from TPI. There were antifreeze lines that ran from the air pump to the oil filter, but after we got rid of the air pump due to it being seized, we plugged up each antifreeze line. Unfortunately these lines started to leak and I went ahead and removed the piece above the oil filter that the antifreeze lines went into and was wondering if there was something i needed to do or steps I needed to follow in order to make sure that antifreeze would not run into the oil. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thanks
Go to Auto Parts and get a BOOK on 87 Camaro's!!!
Air pumps, pump air not Antifreeze/water(coolent), water pumps, pump coolent.
The thing you removed from above the oil filter is the engine oil cooler. Once removed there is no way for coolent to get into the oil from this system. And even if the lines were leaking, they should be dumping coolent onto the ground and not into the engine/oil. If you want to remove this entire system including the lines, trace them back to the Radiator and Pump and cap them off there, and/or remove the fittings for them.