3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

No rear sensor on 3rd gen a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 PM

No rear sensor on 3rd gen a/c compressor

I have a '91 Camaro Z28 (305 TPI) that has a bad a/c compressor. I recharged the system a few years ago (using a 134a retro kit) only to find that it all leaked out from the compressor a few days later. I left it alone for several years, but now I am just sick and tired of driving in a hot car.

I just picked up a reman compressor from the local parts store only to find that there is no "rear" sensor on the compressor. I can see where it should be but it looks like it is plugged up (with a snap ring and metal plug) on purpose. I spent about 5min tonight trying to see if I could pull the old one off and put it on the new one... but no luck.

My question is... do you think it is ok to leave the electrical connection off?
The sensor (or electrical plug) in the front of the part just behind the pulley is there but I honestly don't know what the difference between the two plugs are.

There was only one option for the a/c compressor, so it's not like I got the wrong part.

Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Re: No rear sensor on 3rd gen a/c compressor

By the way, I found out that the sensor in question is actually not a sensor at all. It is the High-Pressure shutoff valve. Apparently, the auto parts store expected that I would know about this and either A.) buy a new valve separately (dumb) or B.) take the one of my old part.

In my previous post I said this wasn't possible, but after some careful use of my needle nose pliers I was able to pull the valve out. After 20 years of sitting in the compressor it did not want to come out easily. A quick drop in to the new part and viola! it was in it's new home.

I do have another question though... Does anyone know what type of oil needs to be put in the compressor BEFORE I attach the refrigerant lines? From what I can tell, I need to pour the oil in (from a bottle, not a pressurized can).

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Re: No rear sensor on 3rd gen a/c compressor

You mentioned that you had already retrofitted the system to use R134a so use oil that's compatible with R134a.

The parts store told you the wrong name of the part. It's not a valve, it is a pressure switch. It opens (disconnects the A/C clutch) if the pressure in the system exceeds safe criteria.

Glad you got it fixed, good job.
Now stop whining about a "hot car" and drive down here to Texas, you might enjoy our 105-degree heat. I have no A/C but then again what good would it be in a convertible? It would just blow past me and only waste fuel.

Enjoy your "cool" car. (pun intended)
Lou