3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

New Motor Dial In Problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:36 PM

New Motor Dial In Problem.....

SO I HAVE A FIRST COPY ED WRIGHT FASTCHIP.COM CHIP ON THIS SPEC.... AND I AM GOING ON COMPUTER NEXT WITH THIS PROBLEM AND NEED ADVICE............

SPEC ON CAM....RV CAM E923P ELGIN CAM, VALVE LIFT INTAKE 420 EXHAUST 443 DURATION STRAIGHT UP 270 INTAKE 280 EXHAUST
DURATION @.050 - 204 INTAKE 214 EXHAUST, HYDRAULIC CAM

SPEC ON INJECTORS 24LB/HR
SPEC ON AIR NEW TB 52MM WITH AIR FOIL AND NO SCREENS ON MAF 753CFM

I fouled plugs tonight she fires up to rich......and i engaged gears before smoothing her rich idle out. big cloud smoke when she fires up than when she warms up the exhaust goes normal....so now i goto pull six of the eight plugs and clean them....the other 2 would require me to pull headers 3 hours....no thanks...i think i can get her back up and she'll clean them other 2 right up.

what should be done?

i was thinking getting the rpm range data and sending it back to ed wright fastchip.com....is that correct approach? am i missing something?

Last edited by 85irocrebuildtpi; 12-29-2004 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:42 PM

Re: New Motor Dial In Problem.....

actually i got an idea here ...........

i think the computer is getting bad info from a sensor, my air/fuel gauge fluctuates. the o2 sensor does not send me info with my foot on gas sometimes...it is the single wire o2 sensor.

i had a surging rpm but i cannot confirm i still have it as i have only 2 good drive with car but she stopped surging on second trip. she will idle out fine sometimes and others act up. so maybe i got a sensor that works sometimes and not at others.....

but rather than guess..... i was going to computer now.........when i get her running again....hehe

wish me luck!!! and advice!!!!!!!

she is NICE..... i broke in engine last week.....weeeeeeeeeeee............

Last edited by 85irocrebuildtpi; 12-29-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Banned

Why do you think it is your IAC? Sounds like a chip tuning issue to me. You need to ask him what data he needs. If he just sends you another chip because you said it is running rich, that new program is a SWAG. With the car idling in closed loop, what is the IAC count? Should be around 20-30, give or take. What is the O2 sensor doing? It should be moving up and down voltage wise. What is your WOT fuel pressure? Take hose off to simulate WOT.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:20 AM

he has had some issues here lately with burning chips.. my buddy got two chips that were too rich and one that was too lean.. try number 4 coming up.. lol.. ed wright does awesome work .. but here latley something is up..
Old 12-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Banned

How can it be too rich or too lean? If you have a custom EPROM, it should be based off the datalogs. I use fasterproms but they will tell you that they can burn it but if you really want it nuts on, you need to do datalogging and send them feedback to ensure that the chip is hitting right on.

The first chip that fasterproms did for me was ok. Not good, not bad but ok. We used the datalogs to fine tune it.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by aklim
How can it be too rich or too lean? If you have a custom EPROM, it should be based off the datalogs. I use fasterproms but they will tell you that they can burn it but if you really want it nuts on, you need to do datalogging and send them feedback to ensure that the chip is hitting right on.

The first chip that fasterproms did for me was ok. Not good, not bad but ok. We used the datalogs to fine tune it.

WELL I did this car all over new motor, injectors, headers, wires, dist, and i knew the stock prom would not work so i gave all info to ed wright and they gave me this chip just to get her to turn over.

i took your advice and john from fastchip e-mailed me back today and said i should give them the following info

1. block learn #'s whatever those are and i have an 85 computer that does not learn i thought so????

2. rpm and maf readings, i.e. idle, 2000 etc......

so that means maf readings at different rpm's?

i fouled plugs....i was thinking of just pulling the 6 easy ones and bringing them inside for 24 hours to let them dry and than put um back in... i was not going to hit them with sandpaper or should i?

some1 told me the plugs are toast now that i fowled them....any comments?

they are brand new and have 2 small drives on um maybe 50 miles max. i only fowled them last night and pushed her back in the garage. i was going to pull plugs tomarrow.

i will take her right to computer next...to much work not to get her dialed in now.... oh well....wish me luck

Last edited by 85irocrebuildtpi; 12-29-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

The ECM learns so it has BLM. That way we can see what the ECM is doing for compensation and how far off it is.

Yes. I would want to know what the MAF is reading at 2000, 3000, etc rpm otherwise the idle might be good but the rest suck still. I would go in 500 rpm increaments. Set it as say 1500 and see what the readings are and then go to 2000 and so on. Like I said, better if you have some sort of datalogging software so you can email a bundle at a time and they can see all it is doing.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by aklim
The ECM learns so it has BLM. That way we can see what the ECM is doing for compensation and how far off it is.

Yes. I would want to know what the MAF is reading at 2000, 3000, etc rpm otherwise the idle might be good but the rest suck still. I would go in 500 rpm increaments. Set it as say 1500 and see what the readings are and then go to 2000 and so on. Like I said, better if you have some sort of datalogging software so you can email a bundle at a time and they can see all it is doing.

alright i am with that so i will start asking for datalogging...

now should it be on the road data logging or just TB in garage rpm increase?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:06 PM

well it was rich because the program was wrong.. pulled out the mighty mentor scanner and sent off the blm's, cell numbers, kpa all that stuff.. sent a new chip.. too rich still, was going into enrichment mode way too soon too.. then we put all then info down again and sent it off.. now too lean.. thank god we have a danm mentor..lol.. either way he is doing everything he can to fix the prob.. we did our readings under a load from 2500 then 3500 then 4500.. and of course finally in enrichment mode..
Old 12-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast Orange
well it was rich because the program was wrong.. pulled out the mighty mentor scanner and sent off the blm's, cell numbers, kpa all that stuff.. sent a new chip.. too rich still, was going into enrichment mode way too soon too.. then we put all then info down again and sent it off.. now too lean.. thank god we have a danm mentor..lol.. either way he is doing everything he can to fix the prob.. we did our readings under a load from 2500 then 3500 then 4500.. and of course finally in enrichment mode..
When I got fasterproms to burn my chip I told them and sent them datalogs. I told them that the car was running rich but yet the O2 sensor said it was lean. Found out that the driver side injector fuse was dead. After that, all was ok. OK because it worked. Not rich, not lean but ok. After a few runs and emailing of datalogs, the car was just on. If Ed was as good as fasterproms, it would have not fouled the plugs or run too lean. I have used them several times and never had the problems you described. All of mu good experience has made me confident in recommending them. Will they screw up? Sure. Just so far, not on me or anyone I know. Crap happens tho.