3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

need advice on heads, headers, cam for an L98

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 PM

need advice on heads, headers, cam for an L98

I have a 91 Z-28 with around 35,000 original miles. I was thinking about supercharging but scratched that idea. I need some advice on a good set of assembled heads, cam kit, and headers for this car. I dont want anything crazy because I dont want to have to get into the bottom end, just something for a stock motor.

Here are my current mods, Edelbrock high-flow intake and runners, edelbrock 52mm throttle body, underdrive pullys, hypertech chip, 3" Flowmaster American thunder exhaust on hollowed out cats, 3.73 richmond gears, slp shiftkit and 7qt tranny pan, 17/275 tires (on ZO6 wheels), hotchkis suspension.

Any advice, reccomendations and links would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty new to this and not sure which route to go, but im sure alot of u out here have similar set-ups and can help me out. Thanks alot fellas
Old 04-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Re: need advice on heads, headers, cam for an L98

A tech guy reccomended me these heads and cam, I think I can go a little bigger with the cam and I dont mind using having to get a stall speed. Any advice guys? Thanks

http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageA...D&ProdID=15044
http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageA...D&ProdID=32758
Old 04-13-2005, 12:58 PM

What is the runner size on those heads? My guess is that if you went with a larger cam you are not going to be able to run those heads. They probably would not be able to breathe enough for a large cam. Depending on if you want to run aluminum heads or not the Dart Iron Eagle have been know to flow really well for a pretty good price. Go here and take a look at how each head measures up to each other. Unless you are going to be going crazy with the cam you are not going to need a head that flows 300cfm at .700 lift. I would say up to 195cc intake runner is all you are going to need so look under section 1 and section 2 of that link.

The cam is going to be rather difficult because you are really going to need to figure out what type of driving you are going to be doing and then go from there. If it is going to be mostly driving around town a 2200 to 6500 cam is probably not going to suit you best. Also you are going to want something with a 112 LSA since anything more (numerically lower) is going to take a lot of tuning to get to run right. Regardless of what cam you run and what heads you run you are going to need to reprogram your computer so that is something else you are going to need to factor in.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:15 PM

don't go with the hypertech chip, those barely work on a stock motor, get a custom chip from madz28 or pcm for less
Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM

The duration of the cam is fine but the lift is very small for a hydraulic roller cam. I know they make one with much higher lift. Your friend may be confusing that cam with the one you linked to. Comp Cams also makes a better roller cam in the 212 to 214 degree intake duration at .050" with much higher lift.

As far as the heads go I would seriously look into the new Trickflow heads for the 305 Chevy if you are keeping your short block. They will work great on a 350. They flow much more than the Edelbrock. Have a 58cc combustion chamber which works out just right for your factory pistons.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:23 PM

If youre going to keep the intake setup you have, you dont want too big of a cam/heads as youre limited to about 5500rpm max--but it will make great torque for a street car. For lower $ i would recommend trick flows[350 size], but for a little more $ i would look into CNC ported vette castings by Lingenfelter or weld tech. The runner size/ flow#s are perfectly optimized for that kind of setup, sure a track1 or Dart 2xx might flow more air, but it will be too large.AFR 180s would work well too. As far as cams LPE makes a non Superram cam that would do nicely,TPIS has some proven grinds, and crower has some good fuel inj. cams that fit that rpm range.

edit;I guess dart has an aluminum 180 head now[?] worth looking into, they make good stuff.

Last edited by stealthblack; 04-13-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:15 PM

The best flowing heads for our L98 engines is the AFRs. However, in considering cost, the Trick Flow 195s are really good. Because modified TPI setups starve the engine of air above 5500RPM, coose a cam that comes in below that RPM, like maybe a split duration around 218/224 max. Look thru Comp Cams catalog on-line, you will find something for sure.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM

I am going to look into the AFR heads, not sure yet on the cam. I heard fastchips are the best for custom chips so im gonna look into them. Thanks again for the help guys any more is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:27 AM

I just read about the new bowtie vortec heads they're 539 each from sdpc2000.com chevy high tech tried them on a 355 with nothing else but a back cut and valve job and it went 632.7 Hp and 503.2 ft/lb torque at. of course they spun it 7500rpm to get it but that goes to show the capabilities. the old vortechs were good these are way better. they flow max 269.1 at .7 263.2 at .6 and they come with springs that can go .530.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:19 AM
5-7

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
The best flowing heads for our L98 engines is the AFRs.
That's hardly true. Dart Pro 1 230, Brodix Track 1 227, Proline Aluminum 230 and 240 and Motown 220 Lites all outflow AFR 227 as cast and cost anywhere from a little less to significantly less. You can run any of these heads on an L98 as well. My recommendation if you want to most flow for the $$$, get a pair of ProLine Top Lightning 240cc heads. They flow a hair over 300 cfm as cast at .700" lift, and even at midrange lifts of .500-.550, they are outflowing fully ported vortecs or L98s or anything else with a tiny runner by a bunch (approx 260-270 cfm) . On top, put a holley stealth ram and port match the base with the heads. Then consult a cam grinder and see if you can either have them make a custom camshaft for the build or select an off-the-shelf cam that best matches what you need for this build. You can make serious power and go seriously fast if you do this. There is no reason why you couldn't take a car like this with an HSR, ProLine 240cc headed, custom cam'd, full exhaust and fully tuned 3rd gen into the 11s on a stock bottom end with a small, high stall converter and some ET Streets. Your car is speed density, so tuning is already that much easier than MAF.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:40 PM

240cc heads won't be anygood for a street/strip combination as they won't provide as much torque down low. making for a extremely high revving small block, his car is a 305 0r 350 sbc those heads won't make good street heads unless maybe on a 454. small intake runners that flow just as good as larger intake runners are better because of the flow velocities. to make .7 lift u would need expensive drivetrain parts and a long duration cam. won't be streetable.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5-7
That's hardly true. Dart Pro 1 230, Brodix Track 1 227, Proline Aluminum 230 and 240 and Motown 220 Lites all outflow AFR 227 as cast and cost anywhere from a little less to significantly less. You can run any of these heads on an L98 as well. My recommendation if you want to most flow for the $$$, get a pair of ProLine Top Lightning 240cc heads. They flow a hair over 300 cfm as cast at .700" lift, and even at midrange lifts of .500-.550, they are outflowing fully ported vortecs or L98s or anything else with a tiny runner by a bunch (approx 260-270 cfm) . On top, put a holley stealth ram and port match the base with the heads. Then consult a cam grinder and see if you can either have them make a custom camshaft for the build or select an off-the-shelf cam that best matches what you need for this build. You can make serious power and go seriously fast if you do this. There is no reason why you couldn't take a car like this with an HSR, ProLine 240cc headed, custom cam'd, full exhaust and fully tuned 3rd gen into the 11s on a stock bottom end with a small, high stall converter and some ET Streets. Your car is speed density, so tuning is already that much easier than MAF.
This is horrible information...disregard it. THose heads might outflow the others but is WAY to big for a mild 350, let alone one running TPI. 240CC runners are for a big CI small block best suited for race as well. Not only that, once you do all that work that you suggest that stock bottom end would not last that long making that much power..thats for sure. Next information flaw is that, even w/ an HSR uptop...it would be inadequate for that combo...for a HSR to matched to a 1206 intake gasket it involves welding more material on the intake, and other work as well.

If you are looking to build a nice engine that you can drive and retain the normal TPI design you are looking for power in the idle-5500 RPM range. With that in mind you should look for a head that has small chambers to bump compression up some, and up to a 195cc runner. IMO the best bang for the buck would be the Trick Flow TFS heads...they flow quite well out of the box, and if you want them to flow better you can have them hand ported and they will yield very good results. AFR's are also very nice heads, but will cost you more, out of the box they will offer slightly higher numbers than the others. Whichever you choose I would suggest you have them milled to around a 54-58cc chamber. For a cam, you have many options...you can go for an off the shelf grind..or you can have a custom cam designed...which doesn't cost that much more but will match your combo perfectly.

Next...do you have headers yet? You are gonna want to get them, they will make a very noticable difference as well...LT's are your best bet for perforance reasons. Def. ditch the Hypertech and get the thing dyno-tuned, or even a good mail order tune wold suffice until you can get it dyno tuned. Port your plenum, get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and do the free mods that you can find on thirdgen.org.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:21 PM

This is what a tech guy over at AFR reccommended me, what do u guys think? Remember I dont want to go all crazy, just get about as much as I can out of the car without getting into the bottom end. Thanks fellas

Our 180 cc head would be a great choice for your combination.
I would go with a cam with 480 to 525 lift a 110 to 112 lobe
seperation, and somewhere in the 220 duration at .050
Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM

I think that is some pretty vague info they gave you. There are multiple off the shelf cam chioces that would fall in that range. Personally those specs are very small....the LT4 Hotcam is about the biggest cam in that range...which is a peanut cam IMO. Go bigger, not alot...but def go bigger. I know the CC-503(224/230) performs very well in the LT1's and is pretty mild. You can go bigger than what you where told as long as you go w/ a ported plenum, good runners and a ported or aftermarket base.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigpoppapump
This is what a tech guy over at AFR reccommended me, what do u guys think? Remember I dont want to go all crazy, just get about as much as I can out of the car without getting into the bottom end. Thanks fellas

Our 180 cc head would be a great choice for your combination.
I would go with a cam with 480 to 525 lift a 110 to 112 lobe
seperation, and somewhere in the 220 duration at .050
I think you'd have a good combo with the AFR 180's and a CC304/305 cam. If you are willing / able to go to the HSR, you can step up to some 195's and the CC 305/306.

Your limiting factor is the TPI - even with the upgraded parts. Lose that and a whole lot more options become feasible.

Quick Reply: need advice on heads, headers, cam for an L98