3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Motor not starting!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:00 PM

Motor not starting!

welp we finally got the swap in from a 305 TBI to a 350 TPI and all the wires to turn the motor over are on or so we think.

The motor turns over but does not start, WE have spark and the plugs smell of fuel, so it seems to be a safe assumption we have them both. My dad said to check the injectors but i wanna know what u all think!

One thing we found out, when hooking up the starter there are 3 wires to the big positive, and there were 2 to the littlier one. BUt every time we touched the positive to the battery it would turn over, so we took the one little wire off the littier positive and it started with the key like normal... can anyone think of what this wire goes 2? Also this wire is in the same loom as the 2 that go to the big positive. THe third being the starter wire to the battery of course.

I know this is confusing but we in a jam, any help would be good!
Old 08-31-2003, 08:05 PM

very confusing of sorts but not too bad. if you did a swap chances are you had to redo all of your grounds. if the fuel is pumping and the starter is turning sounds like that area is ok.

only one wire goes to the post on the starter where as all the others are on the opposite. it's pretty straight forward when you see it. you must be sure that all the connections are good.

with that said make sure that your fuses are good as well as your battery. very easy to overlook and simple to check.

assuming all electrical is good and your components are in decent shape check your grounds to the engine block. when i did my engine swap it was one of the simplest things yet i overlooked it.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:12 PM

Timing could be like 180* off. THen you will get spark, but the car wont start
Old 08-31-2003, 11:45 PM

Hmm maybe the timing but i am pretty sure we had top dead center when we put the distributor in. Def something to check.

Kandied: The started had 2 small wires and 3 large ones... thats what was hanging there when the motor was installed. We removed the 1 small and now it starts with a key... do u or anyone else have a clue where that wire might go? Its just hanging there but the damn thing just doesn't wanna start heh. I am thinking it might be a ground... but i am not sure.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:53 AM

i've altered my own car so much that i don't know what's stock from modified so i'm affraid to say anything. check out a hayens or a chiltons manual as they should describe what the situation is. i do know that only one wire goes to the post and the rest follow suit on the opposite and it's pretty plain to see since only one will stretch that far.

i'll take a look at my own car tommorrow if you haven't gotten the answer by then.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Banned

Sounds like timing is 180 deg off. If plugs smell of fuel and there is spark, it probably is coming on at the wrong time.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:29 PM

welp, here is an update after today and i need all ur inputs... The swap is a 92 305 tbi to a 87 355 tpi (bored out). We found out that we had no fuel pressure... (my bad). But we have spark. We traced and trouble shooted that the computer is not turning on... (fuel pump is not coming on). now, with the 92 tbi wiring harness that connects the ignition to the computer (under the dash) we found an extra plug that is suppose to go into the computer but will not fit because of the lack of plug hole. the 87 TPI harness from the motor connects fine into the 87 TPI computer but we seem to think this one plug from the 92 tbi harness under the dash is the reason why its not turning on.

My question is.. there are 3 wires in this plug.. they are:

Light Pink/Black
Darker Pink/Black
Black - Negative most likely.

Now does anyone know anything about this and how maybe we can adapt these 3 wires into the 87 TPI Harness or anything we can maybe do?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:55 AM

TTT