3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

LT1 or L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 01:20 AM

Like I said before, my goal is to have a fast but very streetable, fun car to drive..

Sorry about those Vette's, I guess they didn't learned the right combo...I was pulling @ 101 mph with the meager mods I had..
But this isn't a court decision that now says, "Now no-one in a 383 TPI can top110 mph"...

Who cares about 8's, 9's or even 10's...they're just not streetable...or fun to drive on the street...
I'm not trying to "Kenny Bernstein" and I sure don't want a "Trailer Queen", sitting in my garage 90% of the time...

I'd say mid 11's is about the limit of good streetability..and I think I'm in good company in that asessment...
And I believe, that with an aftermarket TPI base and runners, mid 11's can be had...

And my '90 is one of like 1700 made during the 6 month production year in which they held the name "IROC", cut short b/c GM refused to renew its rights and Chrysler quickly jumped on it....

Just for thech's sake I'm gonna take my TPI(&heads) to the flow bench at my local speed shop after Christmas and post the results...I was gonna have it bead-blasted anyways...
I'm gonna get cold, hard, facts...we'll see how it goes...

I don't get hostle bro.. I think debates are essential to cut through all the propaganda BS...
I might get frustrated when people tell me I can't do something and no evidence to prove it... not hostile..
But hey, I knew my decision wasn't a popular one; everyone wants to buy/ sell parts, or promote them, or justify why they bought them...human nature...
If there's a will, there's a way...remember..
Old 12-24-2003, 01:21 AM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

I think things are getting a little clearer now.

For a 12 second street ride, you guys are right. You can make due with TPI. And I'll end it at that.

Everybody has different wants and needs, and there are many ways to obtain it. I am still learning, and just wanna have fun with the ride.

Best wishes to all.

Steve

Last edited by steve10358; 12-24-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by 90rocz

Who cares about 8's, 9's or even 10's...they're just not streetable...or fun to drive on the street...
I'm not trying to "Kenny Bernstein" and I sure don't want a "Trailer Queen", sitting in my garage 90% of the time...

I'd say mid 11's is about the limit of good streetability..and I think I'm in good company in that asessment...
And I believe, that with an aftermarket TPI base and runners, mid 11's can be had...

And my '90 is one of like 1700 made during the 6 month production year in which they held the name "IROC", cut short b/c GM refused to renew its rights and Chrysler quickly jumped on it....

slightly off topic, and just to push the envelope a bit, I would say all motor, high 10 low 11s would be around the limit to a very streetable daily driver. But with any kind of power adder allowed, anywhere in the 10s (atleast) can be very streetable, for what I consider streetable

The LT1 can breath fairly well, has a stronger aftermarket than some people want to acknowledge, and has been a proven performer in the 9 and 10 sec street car range. anyway, I'm a huge fan of the LT1 (vs the LS1), so while I can come here and back up the benefits of an LT1, I am also quite careful not to step on L98 guys the way the LS1ers try to do to us.

The abilities and drawbacks of both motors is very well known, and there are a ton of options for both. Driver preference is going to play as large of a role as anything. If it was me, I would swap in an LT1, sure, but if it was me I would also love to have an iroc sittin in the driveway to go with my 4th gen. Both can make power, its a matter of how streetable you want it, gas mileage, tuning capability, drag race or roll race or cruiser or daily driver ,etc
Old 12-24-2003, 02:39 AM

Right, I was speaking of mid 11's NA, you're right a Turbo or Supercharger etc would easily subtract another 1/2 sec to 1 sec...
Which I have'nt rulled out yet...down the road.
Yes I know it's "easier" to make more Peak power at a higher rpm with a shorter runner and taller port heads, just means I must go a completely different route than you...
I would'nt kick a 4th Gen outta my driveway either, but My ROC's my Fav and it's not going anywhere soon...
I'd also like to round out the stable with a 1st Gen BBC SS Camaro, like my dad's...someday...
Old 12-24-2003, 03:48 AM

i love my L98... but i like how the LT1 doesnt die as quick as the L98 does top end wise. thats why im going the extra mile in putting an LT1 to replace my blown L98 instead of looking for another L98 to put in it's place. im going to miss the low end torque you get out of an L98, but i think the top end power from an LT1 will make up for the missing 10 lbs of low end torque lol

if this topic is still goin' around by the time my swap is completed, ill reply and let you guys know how big of a difference i feel going from a slightly modded L98 to a bone stock LT1

EDIT: not gonna do the swap... just gonna rebuild the L98 instead

Last edited by dj haf; 12-24-2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:56 AM

Don't expect a big difference, least not 'til you start moddin it. I pull LT1's around here all the time, even hung with LS1's 0-60; at least before I tore down my motor to freshen it and change cam and do some headwork. Now I want to see how I'll fair with some "strong", modded LS1's...I've still got a few tricks to use...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:27 AM

No offence ,but you must have some pretty slow ls1's where you come from. My buddies stock 98 with 3:73 gears, exhaust, and hypertech programming run 12.78 so I dont think you could even stay with one in the first 60 feet not to mention 60 mph. Just my thoughts and trying to have a little fun. Like I said lets all get together and get someone to host a lt1, ls1, l98 shootout. One of the rules would be that you would have to drive you car like on a 50 mile run before the race and lets see which motor really is better. But I think we all ready know the answer. I am a lt1 guy but even I know that the ls1 is better. I will take second place I guess. BUt I bet those l98's would finish a strong third. Just some laughs guys not trying to be smart.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:37 AM

Ok, L98/LT1/LS1 shootout:

100 mile trip. Pump gas. Maximum of $20,000 invested. Have stock and modified classes.

I honestly think with a limit that high, L98's would be real competitive (not in the stock class). All it takes it money...

-Corey
Old 12-24-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by jonesy91z28
Like I said lets all get together and get someone to host a lt1, ls1, l98 shootout. One of the rules would be that you would have to drive you car like on a 50 mile run before the race and lets see which motor really is better. But I think we all ready know the answer. I am a lt1 guy but even I know that the ls1 is better.
I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. I have no love for the LS1 nor am I impressed

but a shootout sounds cool, too hard to ever make fair, but who plays fair
Old 12-24-2003, 12:26 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Well said guys...
Old 12-24-2003, 01:06 PM

money can get you a 9 second car... i personaly think if i had the cash, i'd go out and get myself a 2002 ss, and a 427 ci c5-r block to go in the place of the stock ls1. would be kinda raw to own a 4th gen with a c5-r block in it, wouldn't you think? i wouldn't stop there though... i'd go forced induction just to make sure i wouldnt be touched by any other car on the street, lol, but thats only if i won the lotto... if i won the lotto, i think i'd build that camaro without a second thought and if i had the money, i think i'd go all out as far as i can on an L98 and on an LT1 just to see which one really is superior, lol

in all honesty, i like the LT1's, but i think you can build an L98 to spank LT1's and it's much more fun to do so
Old 12-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Basically what i'm getting from you guys is that after a little money an L98 is gonna be the better choice but what if I swapped the L98 Intake for an LT1 intake that should compromise the top end loss problem shouldn't it?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:08 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Originally posted by mako350Z28
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the only difference between the aluminum and the iron heads is the materials they were made from.

Same casting, only the aluminum heads are lighter, of course, and probably easier to work with.

No, the iron and aluminum L98 heads are completely different. They are not the same casting. The aluminum heads have 58cc combustion chambers while the iron ones are 64cc's. I forget the numbers but the intake port size and shape, as well as the flow numbers, are different too. Also, the iron heads have EGR ports built into the exhaust while the aluminum heads do not.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by 94LT1Maro
Basically what i'm getting from you guys is that after a little money an L98 is gonna be the better choice but what if I swapped the L98 Intake for an LT1 intake that should compromise the top end loss problem shouldn't it?

What everyone is getting at is probably that its all about combo and choice. You may get an L98 for cheaper than an LT1, and spend the left over $ on something like a cam and headers, and maybe it will be as fast as an LT1. But then if you had the LT1, you could add that cam or headers to that and be ahead again with matched mods but for a bit more $. You can play that same game with LT1 vs LS1 too until you really work over the motor to get rid of advantages one recieved from the factory and not the other.

As for an LT1 intake on an L98, I know intakes can be converted for different applications but I'm not sure what machining would be involved in that, unless their is an aftermarket alternative available for that already. But they are NOT direct replacements bc of the reverse flow cooling of LT1

Last edited by Bad AZz Z28; 12-24-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by 94LT1Maro
OKay lets just set this straight l98's and lt1's are basically the same animal. An lt1 is just an l98 on crack (reverse cooling) Past the bottom end it doesnt really matter because chances are youre going with an aftermarket intake. Put a tpis mini-ram on an L98 and youll outrun and lt1. The bottom end of the engines is really the same and i think the heads are pretty similar? The main difference is the intake.

Quick Reply: LT1 or L98