3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I gotta get up and fix tommorow so I really need advice plz help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 02:57 AM

Question I gotta get up and fix tommorow so I really need advice plz help!!!

Ok at this point Im thinking the fuel pump craped out on me but tell me what you think, becasue I have to fix this tommorow and I dont wanna just replace parts until I find it.

Heres the Situation:

I have a TPI 305 IROC

Im doing about 75 mph on I-75 talking to my DSM buddy when all of a sudden the car cuts off with no warning. I pull over to the side and try to crank it back up. The car fires so its not plugs or distibutor but when it comes on it sputters like its not getting any fuel. I tried to crank it about 30 times and each time it would sputter if I pumped the gas pedal but if I stopped or held the gas in it would turn off. Finnaly the engine would just turn over with no result leading me to think that it was just sucking the fuel out of the lines and that my fuel pump just all of a sudden went bad.

PLZ Help Im desperate.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:15 AM

Unhappy

Sounds like the fuel pump.....Check these first!!! Unscrew fuel filter and have someone turn car to on position...this should prime pump and make gas come out of open fuel line...If it does then it is not your pump..Change fuel filter and see what happens.....Check your fuel pump relay..could be sticking (electrical ghosts SUCK)...Just some thoughts

Later
Old 09-22-2002, 08:04 AM

First try to listen to see if you here it kick on if it does get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it to the schrader valve and see what it is it should be more than 35psi if not you can try replacing the fuel filter if that dont help most likely the pump maybey a relay but not likely good luck on it ..
Old 09-22-2002, 11:42 AM

check the filter and relay first...
they aren't hard to fix, but that pump is not cool
if i'm not mistaken you have two options to get it out.
one: drop the gas tank out
two: cut a hole in your carpet in the trunk

neither of which sound like fun to me.
Good luck.
Cody
Old 09-22-2002, 05:22 PM

Thanks guys this has helped alot. I checked to see if I could hear it prime up and it made a noise but it was really sickly compared to what it ussually does. People ussually riding in my car tell me how loud my fuel pump is. Looks like Im gonna have to wait until tommorow or Tuesday to get it running.

My god those things are way more expensive than I thought. JUst a thought but my buddy tells me that in his Talon rather than buying a performance one he can tune his pump to pump at an increased rate. I was wondering If I could do that and if you could tell me how.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:27 AM

First off, if you want to check the fuel flow rating on your pump, follow the book. Disconnect the fuel feed line on your tpi which is the top one of the two lines entering the fuel rails in the tpi system. First off pull the feed line off of the fuel rail inlet, being the top of the two lines on the front of the intake manifold just to the left of the thermostat housing while looking at the front of the car. If you have a repair manual for your 82-92 camaro refure to it for fuel pump by-pass instructions. I can not remember of hand the actuall wires that need to be jumped, but I think it is the two left terminals on the fuel pump realy. When you jump these two terminals the fuel pump will turn on without any assistance from the key or anything. There is a certain fuel flow rate that your pump should be flowing in liter's per minute. Obviously if the fuel line has next to or no fuel cominjg out of it , you have a problem with first off your fuel filter, once that is changed and the problem is not fixed,100% for sure your fuel pump. Fuel systems are very simple to diagnose when you use a front to rear step by step elimination proccess. I do have the complete diagnoses instructions for these problems including wire diagrams and fuel flow rates if you would like to e-mail me for more in-dept instructions. Take care,

Martin Gausvik