3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

How to get Motor Mounts OFF!!!! AHHH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 06:44 AM

Exclamation How to get Motor Mounts OFF!!!! AHHH!!!!

I have a 89 I-ROC project car the motor is out of the car and I am putting in prothane mounts. I can't get a wrench on the bottom nut. Do I have to take the Control arm and spring out??? I hope you guys have a trick. I AM DESPERATE !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 10-01-2002, 08:21 AM

no you don't have to take off the controll arm.

it hard to explain, but there should be a couple holes in the crossmember, that you can put a wrench through, you just have to experiment untill you get it. they will come off though
Old 10-01-2002, 10:39 AM

When I put solid mounts in my car I cursed every minute after I tried to put the Motor mounts back on. They came off really easy, but when I went to put them back on they were a b!tch. On one side what I did was since you have to drill the mount anyway I left 2 of the bolts on the mount and took off only one. Then I drilled the rivet and bent the metal back far enough that I could get the old mount out and the new one in. This will work on both side as well. I just didnt realize it at first and had already taken one off.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:49 AM

YOU DID WHAT ??????????

i don't remember needing to drill any rivets to get my mounts out. it sounds like you just took the rubber out of the mount
Old 10-01-2002, 10:56 AM

If you are just replacing the rubber with urethane and using the factory GM "clamshell", then you can just remove one side of the mounts bolts, which you can get to, and just pry the metal top open. Remove the rubber insert, install the urethane, push the top of the mount back down and bolt it in. I am quite sure you can get to one side of each mounts bolts and nuts without too much difficulty. I know you can do this on the passenger side.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:00 PM

i didn't know you could do that. i assumed the urethane mounts installed just like factory ones, not using the gm clamshell
Old 10-01-2002, 01:29 PM

I just went through this last week, and did not like the look of having to get the nuts back on even if I could get them off. So I just yanked the a-arms off and did it that way. It really isn't a big job to take off the arms, and was probably quicker, and definatly less frustrating in the end. As for prying open the shell, when I got my mounts off they were riveted together on the bottom side, so that I will have to grind on them to get them to open. I am not sure how you can pry them open on the car unless they have already been changed once.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Blownyellow
As for prying open the shell, when I got my mounts off they were riveted together on the bottom side, so that I will have to grind on them to get them to open. I am not sure how you can pry them open on the car unless they have already been changed once.
This is why I drilled mine. Just get a bit a little bigger than the rivet and start drilling. Be carefull not to drill into the frame though, not that it should hurt anything. Then I took a big screwdriver and pryed it apart. Very simple took maybe 15 minutes to take it off and put new mount in and back together.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:42 PM

I used a drill and a die grinder and put a slot on the front of the cross member big enough for wrench.

Miles
Old 10-01-2002, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!! I will let you know what I did. If anyone has any more suggestions they are SURLY welcomed.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 10-01-2002, 09:09 PM

Re: How to get Motor Mounts OFF!!!! AHHH!!!!

you don't have to take the control arms out. there is a hole to gain acess to the nuts.i believe the size is 5/8 . you can use one of those wrench with a socket on it to get one of them off. the other ones off using ithink a 9" extention 5/8 non-deep well socket and a swivel. you can also go through the front springs with a long extension. use a flash light it's hard to see up in there . and to get the nut back on put electrical tape on the swivel to stiffen it up to give you more control. if the nut falls into any hard to get places keep a magnetic parts getter handy.it's not nearly as bad as it looks.if your replacing them with polyurethane,you will have to drill the rivets out once the mounts are out of the car. the kit gives you zip ties to hold the whole thing together until the bolts are back in

hope this helps
Roger
Old 10-01-2002, 10:33 PM

Yeah I got em with a ratchet using a long extension and a universal (swivel).