3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Hi guys, I need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Exclamation Hi guys, I need help!!!!

Doing a rebuild, having the engine boiled honed and such, pressure checked. Stock 350 5.7l. I was considering doing the:

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam and lifter kit 110 lobe, 250 int. 256 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.519 int./0.523 exh.
Int. duration 294
Exh. duration 306
0.00 valve lash

Now I had the stock pushrods laying on roller lifters. Do I need to get different pushrods since this has hydraulic flat tappet lifters. Also with those specs would the factory rockers be ok. Getting the computer reworked of course...

Any info would be great...
Old 04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Re: Hi guys, I need help!!!!

If your getting a new cam, you can bet your *** you better get new pushrods. Look up the Federal Mogul rods on jegs.com, they are not very much at all. Heck, for that matter you will need new lifters as well. Same brand, same website
Old 04-22-2005, 05:49 PM

it all depends on where you want your powerband to be. if your keeping the stock re-build specs that cam sounds pretty good for your re-build. i also agree with 85_305 in doing the pushrods, definatly a must. if you get the cam and lifter set from Comp, you get the cams and lifters so you dont need to mix and match. are there any other mods going in? keep us posted and good luck
Old 04-22-2005, 10:51 PM

Exclamation Re: Hi guys, I need help!!!!

Well yeah Im getting the kit so I get a double roller timing chain, valves stems springs retainers and a cam and lifters. So no guessing about matching the valves lifters and such.
Here's the kit if you want to check it out http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=92794

I go through Summit Racing,
Is there a certain size of pushrods that i need though it asks for intake overall length 7.5 7.95.....
also exhaust overall length
and tubing diameer 5/16th 3/8th and 7/16th i dont want to get the wrong sizes. What size should i get for this kit.
Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:01 PM

ok never mind i found out the 3/8th is for big block so the 5/16th would be the right size. Summit doesn't carry fed. mog pushrods but they carry there kits, funny. So I think ill just go with Jegs fed mog performance pushrods thanks 85 305 for the tip. Plus I like the price

Well now that that is done what about roller rockers how much will stock ones make a difference. Should i go with rollers or a more stronger rocker or will stock be fine?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:07 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Would these rockers do the trick!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91z28man
ok never mind i found out the 3/8th is for big block so the 5/16th would be the right size. Summit doesn't carry fed. mog pushrods but they carry there kits, funny. So I think ill just go with Jegs fed mog performance pushrods thanks 85 305 for the tip. Plus I like the price

Well now that that is done what about roller rockers how much will stock ones make a difference. Should i go with rollers or a more stronger rocker or will stock be fine?

No problem dude. Jegs has EVERYTHING you need But if you are doing all that other work, you sure as hell better get new lifters as well. And like i said, Jegs has the best prices around so look on there.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:39 AM

If I'm reading you correctly, you are going from a roller cam to a flat tappet cam. Yes, you will need new pushrods - the factory roller lifters are longer than the flat tappets so the pushrods will be too short. You can probably use stock length, unless you are making a head change, then you should go with whatever the head mfg. recommends (often they go +.100")

Adjustable rocker arms are also required with this combo. I have the Comp stainless RR arms - very nice and plenty strong.

That's a lot of cam duration you've got there. Is this a street car or a drag car? You're going to need a big stall convertor and a lot of less than streetable mods to make that cam work.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:16 AM

Like what kind bubba, sorry i'm new to this. How much of a stall convert would I need. My whole top end is opened up, everything is ported, no more intake snokel. So it breaths really nice. I'm getting big headers and I have a nice exhaust so no exit problems, what else should I do or should I not get that big of cam.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:29 AM

Let's start with a single question - what do you plan to do with the car? (Daily driver, Street / Strip, or Track only?)
Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 PM

Street/strip. good horsepower, good sound, racy.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:33 AM

Kind of heads do you have and what type of intake manifold, also what type of rear end gears are you using and what stall speed. That is a HUGE cam (duration wise) and if you have the stock 350 heads (even ported) and a dual plane intake manifold/ anything under a 4.10 rear end gear, and a stall speed under (somebody fill in im a manual tranny kinda guy ) that is WAYYYYY too big a cam. I cant believe nobody else has said that yet.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:16 AM

Im just wondering why anyone would go from the roller cam to a flat tappet cam. Why not just find a roller cam made for the tpi setup? I think you give up more than you will gain.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by DevilsAddvocate
that is WAYYYYY too big a cam. I cant believe nobody else has said that yet.
I was working my way there - I just wanted to make sure he wasn't building a race car.....

91z28man - I think you are falling into '"more's law" territory. If a little is good, more is better. Everything has to work together - you just can't pull the biggest cam out of the catalog and drop it into a stock / mild setup.

You need to match the cam, compression, intake / exhaust, heads, and drivetrain components to the application. Otherwise, it will run like a dog and have even less power than you started with.

I'd be happy to help you develop a basic setup, based on your goals and budget. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:10 PM

yes, that is a really long timed cam, youll have a hard time keeping it at idle like when you pull up to a stop light or whatever, but if you get everything set up right and matched that thing will scream once it gets goin

Quick Reply: Hi guys, I need help!!!!