3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Help. newbie looking to start a 3gen project

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Help. newbie looking to start a 3gen project

hey guys, im a recovering mustang guy looking to buy a 3rd gen camaro and to start a project. ive always admired these cars when i was younger, and after getting an insurance quote on a 04 cobra, ive decided to take the very used car route and build a weekend driver. 99% of the used mustangs are beaten to a pulp, so now is the time for a chevy. i have already a daily driver,caprice classic 95 with a 4.3 engine,ive dressed it up to be a impala ss clone, now im lookin for that weekend car. i have a lot of money to spend and hoping to make the car go 11's on the quater mile. what are some choices on the 3rd gen's? any particular year i should look for?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:51 PM

Most guys are going to tell you 91-92 with the 350

but I would say 87-92 with the 350.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 PM

hmm thanks but i know those 350's are very hard to find. im expecting to buy a 305 unfortunatly.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:07 PM

350s are not hard to find, you just got to make sure the owner is selling you a real 350 car.

If you are just looking for a 305 car then you have 82-92 to choice from.

Start looking on line like the www.autotraderonline.com
or www.cars.com or even your local Camaro club.

by the way where you at?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:54 PM

To go 11's, chances are you'll want to go with a stroker (Note I said want not need). In that case, I wouldn't be concerned with what motor is in the car, you'll be swapping it out anyway. I'd look for any V8 car, then a 4-bolt 350 block and go from there

-Corey
Old 07-11-2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by krazzycowgirl
by the way where you at?
in the ny tri state area,were many a camaro have been guido-fied.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:23 AM

if youve got quite a bit of money to spend as you say, and have the patience to actually build the car. Ill say this.

Buy The nicest car you can find for a reasonable price, no matter of engine as long as its a V8. Doesnt even have to run, but get a nice car with nice interior and paint, straight body.

Then buy a crate Lsx motor and tranny, either have some fun and do the swap yourself or pay someone to do it. Do a couple suspension/chasis mods so you dont lose power to the chasis, swap in a cam, use a moderate nitrous shot and youll be deep into the 11's with a very mild mannered car. And youll have somehting not many people have.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by krazzycowgirl
Most guys are going to tell you 91-92 with the 350

but I would say 87-92 with the 350.
The reason people say go with a 91-92 is because the car was restyled.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
if youve got quite a bit of money to spend as you say, and have the patience to actually build the car. Ill say this.

Buy The nicest car you can find for a reasonable price, no matter of engine as long as its a V8. Doesnt even have to run, but get a nice car with nice interior and paint, straight body.

Then buy a crate Lsx motor and tranny, either have some fun and do the swap yourself or pay someone to do it. Do a couple suspension/chasis mods so you dont lose power to the chasis, swap in a cam, use a moderate nitrous shot and youll be deep into the 11's with a very mild mannered car. And youll have somehting not many people have.
i would like to get an engine and tranny combo that can be easily fitted in without havin a migrane. i would pay a profesional to install it.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Ville H. Valo
The reason people say go with a 91-92 is because the car was restyled.
i found an 87 auto, body is in good condition,144k miles, the trunk wont close,the owner says its an electrical problem,and has a 3 tone paint job that looks like somebodies nightmare. he says he thinks its a 350. he is askin 2k$ for it.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 AM

If you drop or slam the hatchback, does it close? The pulldown motor could be bad but by slamming it or dropping it from 1/2 way up it should lock down.

If it still doesn't lock down then the car might have been rearended. Compare the back fender flares to the front fender flares (squatting down level with the back fender flares and match the fender flares to the front fender flares) They should line up, if the back fender flares appear to be lower than the front, the rear fenders are bowed out. That can be caused by either jacking the car up wrong or being wrecked (rearended).

As far a 305 vs 350.....look at the vin #. I think the 8th # should be an "8" for a 350. Get the vin # and run it though here: http://thirdgen.org/newdesign/vin/

Good luck
Old 07-12-2004, 12:02 PM

92 rs t tops

ive just found a 92 rs t tops, 104 k miles, interior and exterior is in great shape, used car dealer is asking 4k for it. i dunno about the t-tops though. anyone came across any problems with t-tops? im concerned over safety issues,especially running a quarter mile.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:07 PM

Re: 92 rs t tops

Originally posted by rentacopper9mm
ive just found a 92 rs t tops, 104 k miles, interior and exterior is in great shape, used car dealer is asking 4k for it. i dunno about the t-tops though. anyone came across any problems with t-tops? im concerned over safety issues,especially running a quarter mile.
T-tops usually leak in the front corner. I would never pay $4k for a 305 RS but that's just me. Subframe connectors would tighten everything up. I like the Kenny Brown SFC myself, they are more expensive than most, but they look more solid to me. Just get a set of weld in SFC's before putting alot of power though the body and you should be fine.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:11 PM

if i buy it i will offer 3k for it. im just worried that the tops might fly of at high speeds or in an impact collision.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by rentacopper9mm
if i buy it i will offer 3k for it. im just worried that the tops might fly of at high speeds or in an impact collision.
My 86 Z28 had t-tops and they latched and I could lock them. I never had a problem with them flying off or anything.

Quick Reply: Help. newbie looking to start a 3gen project