3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

flywheel problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM

flywheel problems

hey guys, hope everyone is doing extremely well or at least very good. i have yet another problem. i have a 86 camaro with a 78 350 that i just swapped over a little while ago. they flywheel was a different bolt pattern and so i had to order a new clutch however when recieved my new one from ebay the clutch area was a 9inch clutch and i havea 10 1/2 in clutch and pressure plate and now the bolt pattern isn't anywhere near what i need it.

to grove the flywheel bigger or to make the flywheel flat? is it possible for me to do this? also the bolt pattern is wrong however the flywheel is exact same size as the old one with the new bolt pattern with the same number of teeth on the outside. can i just mark from the old flywheel where the holes are? is there a place i can get this done professionally? i really dont want to put it all back together and then find out its not balanced perfectly and then have to do this all again. any advice would be exceptional. tahnks in advance.

Douglas
Old 07-11-2006, 01:46 AM

Re: flywheel problems

So, was the 78' flywheel for a stick, or an auto?

What year is your new flywheel for and what did it come out of?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 AM

the 350 i got came wit the flywheel for a autp tranny..so it was no use.

i bought my flywheel and pressure plate and clutch disc for my 305 v8 motor that i swapped out. because the motor was ****ed up.

the new flywheel i bought was from a 67 vette. only because that is the year where the flywheel would fit to the exact same demensions i have. i can get the dimensions when i get home again and i could take a few pictures.

i really dont want to have to downgrade to a smaller clutch and pressure plate due to cost and also grab area. swapping to a smaller clutch would give me less grab and more heat on the flywheel meaning more wear correct?

if im wrong by all means let me know thanks

thanks in advance
Douglas

Last edited by Camaro_Boy; 07-11-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 AM

To start I wouldn't completely worry to much about the different clutch sizes unless you are planning on beating this car down the track alot.

To get the right clutch disc, you'ld have to buy a disc and pressure plate for the car the flywheel came from.. The biggest problem that you're probably going to run into is the clutch disc splines matching up since I'm assuming you have a T-5 and the Vettes back in the day had M22 Muncie's.. I believe the T-5 has more splines..

Why is it that you're not using the flywheel from your 305? You do know that the 305 and 350 cranks are exactly the same don't you? So you wouldn't need to get a different flywheel for your 350 unless your old 305 was a one piece rear seal, but those weren't around until 87, but,also doesn't mean somebody didn't toss one in there.

Is your old flywheel shot? Or are you dealing with starter mounting issues?

I know some of the blocks have the 2 different starter bolt patterns to accomodate for the 2 flywheel sizes, and also with that, some blocks are set up for only one size flywheel, thus, only one set of starter bolt holes machined.

Personally, I would've gone down to the local salvage yard and picked a flywheel up from a chevy or gmc truck. Majority of the pickups took 10 1/2" clutch discs since they were more than likely going to be used for either towing, or wheeling.

Sorry for the long reply, just trying to spread the knowledge.

Hope this sheds some light..

If you have any questions man, just email me. I check that more often than I read the bored.

Brandon spook_cutlass@hotmail.com

Last edited by BrandonKeith; 07-12-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:57 AM

Auto's dont have flywheels... they have flexplates... And just remove everything off of the old 305, and bolt it to the 350. Problem solved.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM

i would have to pull the whole crank apart and reattach the pistons to the crank? that would be horrible to redo no? im not to knowledge able wtih this. and my 350 is a 1 piece rear main seal the bolt pattern is different. if there is a way i would love to use the old flywheel cause i just bought it a few months before i found out the 305 was shot. thanks alot for all the help i appricaite it alot

Douglas