3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Few 4th gen > 3rd gen part ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 PM

Few 4th gen > 3rd gen part ?'s

First off can I use the sway bars off a 4th gen on a 3rd gen? If so is any modification needed to make this work?

Also how would I swap over the whole front braking system from a 4th gen to a 3rd gen?

Can I swap a 4th gen rear end into a 3rd gen along with the disc brakes? If so what kind of extra work am I looking at and can I use the 4th gen torque are or do I have to buy an aftermarket torqe arm.

Do 4th gen a-arms work in a 3rd gen? Basically could I use everything out of the front end of my 4th gen for my 3rd gen? K-member, brakes, a-arms, etc.

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 PM

Re: Few 4th gen > 3rd gen part ?'s

the rear suspension and rear end are the only thing that will transfer over

all of the rear suspension will transfer including the stock torque arm but the rear end i a little wider so your rear wheels will stick out just a touch more on each side
Old 08-10-2004, 08:46 PM

rear end will swap with no mods.Torque arms are the same.
Rear sway bars are the same but the 3rd gen ones are thicker.
putting on the front brakes requires modified 3rd gen hubs, 3rd gen spindles and caliper brackets.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:57 AM

who does these modifications or where can you get these modified spidles...?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM

WS6 3rdgen bars are beefier then 4thgen ones, and they bolt right up. if you want bigger, go aftermarket.

the brakes can be modified to work. goto www.thirdgen.org and look on the board there. thats THE tech site for 3rdgens... theres several articals on making diffrent brake setups work, including LS1 4thgen brakes (98+). you could just as easily do LT1 brakes, but if you're going thru the effort, might as well gofor the better brakes.

the front suspension is totally diffrent.

do a couple searches on TGO, and look in the FAQ board...
Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 AM

For sway bars you want the 36mm front and 24mm rear off of a thirdgen, the pontiacs with WS6 got them, and some camaro's got them to but I cannot remember which off the top of my head.
The 4th gen rear will almost bolt in, you will need to do some custome work with the e-brake cables, I would think you would want an ajustable proportioning valve. As for the 4th gen rear being a couple inchs wider the solution is to put 4th gen wheels on the car they fit on the back and won't stick out but you will need spacers for up front. For the front brakes go read up on it at thridgen.org, you could also switch to the 1LE brakes out of a wrecked thirdgen but i'm not sure if those or the LS1 brakes are better.
I think the 3rd and 4th gen torque arms are the same piece? I would go aftermarket if your going to need a torque arm heavier than the thirdgens (and i'm not 100% sure what a torque arms even does so I cannot get into that).
The 4th gen A-arms can probably be made to work but by the time you pay for all the custom work you could have bought a new viper or somthing so in other words, no they don't work. There are aftermarket A-arms and k-members for our cars though, you need to research that one though.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by PyRo9862
For sway bars you want the 36mm front and 24mm rear off of a thirdgen, the pontiacs with WS6 got them, and some camaro's got them to but I cannot remember which off the top of my head.
The 4th gen rear will almost bolt in, you will need to do some custome work with the e-brake cables, I would think you would want an ajustable proportioning valve. As for the 4th gen rear being a couple inchs wider the solution is to put 4th gen wheels on the car they fit on the back and won't stick out but you will need spacers for up front. For the front brakes go read up on it at thridgen.org, you could also switch to the 1LE brakes out of a wrecked thirdgen but i'm not sure if those or the LS1 brakes are better.
I think the 3rd and 4th gen torque arms are the same piece? I would go aftermarket if your going to need a torque arm heavier than the thirdgens (and i'm not 100% sure what a torque arms even does so I cannot get into that).
The 4th gen A-arms can probably be made to work but by the time you pay for all the custom work you could have bought a new viper or somthing so in other words, no they don't work. There are aftermarket A-arms and k-members for our cars though, you need to research that one though.
The only reason I asked about swapping all this stuff over was because I have a lot of stock stuff or my 4th gen. The 3rd gen is just going to be a daily driver. Gonna stick a TH350 in the 4th gen and put my T56 and a 355 LT1 in the third gen with a few other goodies.