3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

electric fans on 98 degree days

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 04:30 PM

electric fans on 98 degree days

hey is it normal for my water tempertature to reach like 225 with a 200 degree fan switch while the fan works the whole time on this 98 degree day
Old 07-06-2003, 06:21 PM

my IROC use to overheat really badly, due mostly to GM's crappy fan cooling system design on these cars. so here's how i fixed it, and now i NEVER have the problem anymore. i can try to post more of a diagram of it later if you are interested. i took out my foglamps (don't use them anyway, gives the front a cleaner look and more airflow too, not to mention the cool 1LE look!) and used one of the plugs (the one closest to the fan relay-should be passenger side) and wired it into the red/black wire (the one which powers the passenger fan) and now i can override the passenger side fan. i didn't want to mess with the driver's side fan (primary) for the fear of messin with the ECM (probably wouldn't have) so i just tapped into the passenger side fan (sensor controlled) and now i can override the secondary fan to have them both running when i need them. the beauty of this is if i don't use the override switch (which is the FACTORY fog lamp switch so i didn't have to hack up the dash to put another switch in the car, i just energized the switch off the battery so i could have the fans on when the lights are off since the foglamps only worked when the lights were on) then the factory GM system works (?). sorry such a long reply but i needed to explain this setup thoroughly! if ya need a diagram or anything explained lemme know!

Josh
Old 07-06-2003, 09:38 PM

so your saying just jump out the relay on the a/c fan. heres the deal it didnt overheat at all got hotter then normal bout little above 220 my fan couldnt keep it cool but didnt let it over heat next weekend im installing ram air ducts which mount behind the fog lights is this going to be and ideling problem for me.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:37 PM

hey josh sounds like a great idea i would love a diagram
Old 07-06-2003, 11:25 PM

well, give me a little bit of time and i'll make a detailed one for ya and post it or at least email it to ya...

Josh
Old 07-07-2003, 12:51 AM

My car is overheating as we speak. Your wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 AM

well, since there seems to be a great need for this setup, i will attempt now to post detailed instructions on how to set ths up as well as explain it. you can vary it as you wish. i will try and get a diagram up tomorrow.

1. Remove your foglamps if you haven't already done so (this will also yield you a slight bit more airflow)

2. Remove your foglamp switch (just pull it out of your dashboard so you can work with the wiring. you will need access to the brown wire on the fog lamp switch. you will have to cut this, as it goes to the relay and from there to the light switch. this is what makes your fog lights not work when your lights are off, and you dont want to have to have the lights on to override your fan, as that is some Al Bundy crap )

3. After cutting your brown wire free, you will need to attach a wire (i soldered mine for safety) that will eventually come from a power source (either ignition switch controlled or perma-hot) for your fan. Keep in mind that while these fans aren't too taxing to run, they take a LOT to get started. This means you need a STRONG circuit. I was originally going to make mine ignition switch controlled but to do that i would've needed to wire into the resistor circuit (strongest ignition switch controlled circuit in the car) but now i am very glad i didn't because it is nice to be able to let my car sit and cool when the keys are out of her! i like the power to let my fan run when i want. Later i want to add a time delay module so if i accidentely leave the fan on it will turn off in about 15 mins, pretty cool, eh?

4. Next you have to work up front. You need to cut the connector off for the front right fog lamp. I left enough remaining on EVERY wire i cut in case for some reason i ever wanted it back factory i could have it that way. I also (no crap) kept the cut connector. Your + is the dark blue and white wire, with the black being of course your -. I merely taped the other side plug up and ziptied it to a torsional support.

5. You want to make sure you are messing with the right relay. And to make sure you ARE, i have included the method to test your relays. This WILL NOT harm the circuit. You are just jumping the plug to see which fan it activates. The two fan relays should be to the right of the battery (as you are looking down at it standing in front of the car.). when you find them, unplug one at a time. With a jumper wire, jump the red/black wire to the orange wire. One of the two fans should come on. I labelled my relays with a paint marker when i found out which was which.

6. When you find out which one is number 2 (the passenger side fan), clip the red/black wire about 3 inches off the relay plug. This is where you will wire in your dark blue/white wire. Again, i used a soldering gun here to insure tight weatherproof connections. Now you want to join not only your dk. blue/white wire together but ALSO your red/black wire back together. You should now have a "tee" of wires. Cover this in electrical tape. Now plug your relay in. Now you should have an override switch for your secondary fan!!!!

The wire colors mentioned here are for 88 and later TPI cars. Other cars are similar. I believe the black/red wire is black/pink on 87-earlier cars, but otherwise it is the same. All you are doing is energizing the positive on the secondary fan AFTER the relay and leaving the relay connected so the GM system ALSO has control over the circuit if you let it. I didn't mess with the primary fan because it IS controlled by the ECM and i didn't know what ill effects (if any) it would have on the ECM. And the secondary has always been PLENTY for keeping my car cool.

NOW FOR THE DISCLAIMER!!!
I am not responsible for ANY damages or ill effects that occur to anyone's car who attempt this. I have done it on my car and have had NO problems whatsoever. But things can get misinterpreted. I am not doing it to your car, YOU ARE. Therefore, the person doing the conversion assumes FULL and TOTAL responsibility for his/her actions...

have fun guys!
Josh