3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Drilling out stock holes for new gauges.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM

Drilling out stock holes for new gauges.

Allright, on my car I have a guage cluster like this in my car. I was hoping to run a cleaner looking set-up then some cars with gauges on the a-pillar, a monster tach to the side and the the stock gauges just not working in the middle (except the ugly stock speedo).

I was hoping to run a 5" tach and a 5" 160mph speedo where the stock holes are now, and I'd just drill them out larger. I already run water temp off to the side of the car (where most people run a monster tach) and I could drill out one more hole for oil pressure in the stock cluster.

So in the stock cluster I'd have a 5" speedo, a 5" tach, a 2 1/16 oil pressure gauge, and maybe a fuel gauge if I can fit it.

The batter voltage gauge would be where my cigarette lighter is using this.

This would give me all the gauges I have right now, with a much cleaner look.

Another one I've contemplated is having a monster tach where most people run one (where I have my water temp gauge right now) and then fit a 5" speedo and all the other four 2 1/16" gauges in there.

What do you guys think of this? Which idea do you like better? If you need anymore explaining just let me know.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Re: Drilling out stock holes for new gauges.

IMO, the two 5" gauges and the single 2" in the center would look retarded. Especially with two other 2" gauges spread throughout the car. Try to get them all in the same place. Preferably where they're easy to see without taking your eyes off the road. Instead of 5" tach and speedo, go with a 3 3/8" in dash setup. That'll give you more room in the panel to put 2 or 3 of the 2 1/16" gauges. Lay them out however you want, like the stock configuration or swap 'em around a little bit. Just try to keep it all balanced. As for modifying the panel, I would trace it on a piece of ABS plastic and make a new one. Then put the holes wherever you want. I used a 2" hole saw for the smaller gauges and opened them up a little bit with an emory roll until they were a snug press-fit. The 3 3/8" holes I used a jig saw and smoothed them out with the emory roll. Basically try to make the new panel install like the factory one.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:55 PM

I kinda came up with a new idea. I forgot the companies name (I'll look for it later) but they sell gauge panels for the camaros with gauges installed. I was figuring of buying one of the panels they sell without gauges or holes. I was gonna run a 3 3/8" speedo (maybe 5" if I decide that 3 3/8" doesn't look right) where the stock speedo is now. Then the 4 main gauges (fuel level, voltage, oil pressure, water temp) in 2 5/8" or 2 1/16" size (whichever size looks better in my opinion.

I'd then run a 5" autometer tach off to the side where I see most people run it.

I'm not quite sure though. I also like what is doing with his cluster. Although it's for a Firebird I would really like to fab up something like that.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM

I think you should make your own. The comany is Covan's Classics. Way too many people have bought their kit. Something custom would give the car it's own feel, not like everyone else's.