3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Desperate for distributor knowledge on 1985 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Desperate for distributor knowledge on 1985 T/A

Anyone with first hand knowledge of HEI distibutor in '85 T/A 305 carb'd please respond!

Had to disassemble distributor to install new pick up coil, pulled distributor out of block, noted what I thought was crud and hardened gasket material around the distributor mounting boss on the block. In the process of cleaning it off I found some pieces of what may have been a plastic hat type bushing.....
Got the distibutor all back together, all correctly stacked up and no left over parts. Went to put the distibutor back in the block, I can feel the cam drive gear mesh with the distibutor gear, the rotor turns clockwise as the distibutor is lowered into the block...so far so good....then right as the distributor flange hits the block boss, the distributor drive gear goes past the cam gear and DISENGAGES....it's like the distibutor is going too far into the block now...wierdest thing I've ever seen. The only thing I can come up with is in the process of building up the engine GM ended up with an HEI distibutor with slightly too long a shaft and "fixed" it by putting a plastic hat bushing between the distributor and block???
Problem is no parts store or even GM dealers seem to be able to find any such bushing in the parts catalogs and I can't get the car running until I either manufacture a spacer or figure out what the stock set up was...the car is all original, it's not an aftermarket HEI distibutor.
Anyone seen anything like this before??? TIA
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Can't say i've ever seen anything like that before. I work on TPI motors and 2nd gen carbureted motors though. no 3rd gen carbs. If you can't find it then you're just gonna have to rig something up yourself. Hate to say it but that's just what I can see. If I was you though I'd go over to TGO because they specialize in 3rd gens and there's going to be a lot more ppl that may be able to help you over there.