3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

carb to TPI

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 PM

carb to TPI

how difficult and expensive is it to change a carburated 350 from a camaro to a TPI setup?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:40 PM

This is usually pretty accurate.

Other costs would include:

The electronic fuel pump, air filter setup, any new sensors that may be needed, new wire harness (if you want), etc.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Speed density or MAF, dual cat's or single. If you are using speed density then you need to upgrade to a roller cam and lifters, but you don't have to have the air filter setup (you can use an aftermarket direct filter or cold air intake). If you are using MAF then you have to have the stock air filter setup but you can use your existing cam (still preferable to upgrade to roller cam, though).

Anybody...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:49 PM

BOZS9IROC: What you said was mostly accurate. Just take into account that the TPI link you listed will surely go over $300 before the end of the auction.

Myrdyn98: It won't be difficult but very time consuming. I'm dreading running that wiring harness through the firewall of my '92. From what I've gather, and boy I hope it's right (I'm going to TPI very soon) it's a bolt in. Engine/Computer/Harness/Etc.

I got an entire L98 car for real cheap on Ebay that will have every piece I'll need for the swap. It all depends on the deals you can find. What year 350 do you have? You may not even have to upgrade to a roller cam--which is pretty expensive AFAIK.

-Corey
Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
BOZS9IROC: What you said was mostly accurate. Just take into account that the TPI link you listed will surely go over $300 before the end of the auction.

Myrdyn98: It won't be difficult but very time consuming. I'm dreading running that wiring harness through the firewall of my '92. From what I've gather, and boy I hope it's right (I'm going to TPI very soon) it's a bolt in. Engine/Computer/Harness/Etc.

I got an entire L98 car for real cheap on Ebay that will have every piece I'll need for the swap. It all depends on the deals you can find. What year 350 do you have? You may not even have to upgrade to a roller cam--which is pretty expensive AFAIK.

-Corey
Yeah that is probably true...sometimes you can get lucky but you have to take into account for the shipping charges also. Also about the roller cam...if you go speed density I think you have to have a roller cam because of the vacumn differences.

How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking) for the L98 camaro? That is what I want to do but I haven't found any in my price range.

Sorry to hijack myrdyn98, just curious.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:45 PM

BOZ: I'll PM you

-Corey
Old 01-07-2004, 09:16 PM

Corey: I got the PM, reply should be in your box.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

You could buy the ACCEL kit for about 3 grand which includes everything and most importantly a better intake and DFI which you can reprogram again and again.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM

I did the carb to TPI swap on my 86 Trans Am back in 2001.
It's not all that hard either, just takes some time and all the right parts.
I can do the swap in less than 8 hours if all the parts are there and you use an in-line fuel pump.
Here are two pics of my setup,

Before,

After,

The TPI setup was an 87 MAF style, but I converted to Speed Density so that I could run the SLP Dual Cold Air Intake setup.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by BOZS89IROC

It all depends on what you are looking for. Speed density or MAF, dual cat's or single. If you are using speed density then you need to upgrade to a roller cam and lifters, but you don't have to have the air filter setup (you can use an aftermarket direct filter or cold air intake). If you are using MAF then you have to have the stock air filter setup but you can use your existing cam (still preferable to upgrade to roller cam, though).

Anybody...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
No need to change anything inside the motor.
89+ TPI ECM requires that VATS to be programmed out.
87+ TPI intake base has the new stlye bolt pattern for the heads, running older heads will require the the angle of the 4 center bolt holes to changed.
an Electronic VSS signal will be needed for the ECM
Old 01-08-2004, 01:43 PM

You could expect to spend anywhere from 300 to a grand, depending on what you do, exhaust can be modified for a o2 sensor, but all you really need is the intake combo, wiring harness, sensors and fuel system. Its really not as bad as it may seem, but it would be a nice swap, and certainly not that messy, I mean you could do it with a little work, but not so much that you would mess up alot of stuff. An lt1 or ls1 swap would be alot of work, even for experienced guys, however the after market supports all of these swaps, and they could be done in any vehicle for a price.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

But why reuse the crummy intake? Might as well get a better manifold and carb if you want to go that route.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by aklim
But why reuse the crummy intake? Might as well get a better manifold and carb if you want to go that route.
Why reuse which intake? The Carb intake or the TPI intake?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Banned

Stock TPI intake is crummy. If you want to build a stock intake system, why not get a better carb and better carb intake manifold and go that route?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:40 PM

yeah if your gonna take the time to swap for Fuel Injection switch to a better sytem than TPI. You can buy a modified LT1 intake for Gen I blocks for about $400 I think. Really a good properly tuned carb system is better than TPI.

The only thing the stock TPI units are good for are 4x4 trucks IMO
Old 01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

Darth, you forgot that it makes a good doorstop.

BTW, when I needed gaskets and thought of using OEM gaskets for the runners to manifold, I found that the OEM ones were so small. I'd ditch the entire thing and either go with a good carb system or a good EFI system.

Quick Reply: carb to TPI