3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Cam choices for my stealthram'd 383

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Re: Cam choices for my stealthram'd 383

Lazer Cams came up with:

234/240 544/537 @50 with a 108 LSA said I can change the LSA if I wanted but I would loose some HP/TQ

Said I would have more than enough vaccum

HMMM???
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 PM

I talked to Jay from Camshaft Innovations..was on the phone with him for atleast 2 hrs..very informative guy to talk to...has a cam speced out for me but of course wouldnt give the specs outs. I DOnt blame him...had alot to say about his cams and what they can do. Dyno numbers are not where its at as far as power...from recomendations from him Im going to be switching to canfield heads and 1.6 rockers says the springs in the AFR's are junk..and says I will get a cam that should and could get me a low 11 car....or atleast in the high 11's..

says dont be freaked out about the duration and lifts of the cam when they are low...wait until I run the car on the street and the track..

he knows his stuff ..from talking to him..there is not 1 cam company that will spend almost 2 hrs talking to one customer...

HMM!!!!...what a delema!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wishmaster
I talked to Jay from Camshaft Innovations..was on the phone with him for atleast 2 hrs..very informative guy to talk to...has a cam speced out for me but of course wouldnt give the specs outs. I DOnt blame him...had alot to say about his cams and what they can do. Dyno numbers are not where its at as far as power...from recomendations from him Im going to be switching to canfield heads and 1.6 rockers says the springs in the AFR's are junk..and says I will get a cam that should and could get me a low 11 car....or atleast in the high 11's..

says dont be freaked out about the duration and lifts of the cam when they are low...wait until I run the car on the street and the track..

he knows his stuff ..from talking to him..there is not 1 cam company that will spend almost 2 hrs talking to one customer...

HMM!!!!...what a delema!
A cam in the high 220's...low 230's for the intake and mid-high 230's for exhaust would be great for you setup I think. The good lift would be around .540 for .600 springs giving you the GM recommended .060 extra lift clearance.

So if you are switching to Canifeld heads....what are you doing with your AFRs you ordered?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:58 PM

I was going to cancel my order from AFR...but now I dont know what Im going to do...I would have to come up with $2000 to send to Jay and that would get me a set of Canfield 195 heads with some good springs a set of 1.6 RR's and a custom cam from him....but I cant come up with all that money right now..Im $300 short ....so what im going to do is go ahead and get the AFR 195's with the rev kit and pay Jay when he calls me back for a custom cam from him..that will cost $400....

Im almost scared to see what he comes up with as far as specs but he assures me that it will be an awsome cam...says he spends 2-3 hrs designing each cam for his customers.... will have low duration and cant remember what he said about the lift.....says the duration number are only 6* off..and there is only 1* of overlap..or something like that.....hell I dont know...will have about 17lbs of vaccum pressure...

thats all he would tell me.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM

The 195's are a great kit....just put some ARP studs in it(I know from experience here) and you'll be fine.....I haven't had any trouble from teh springs...just the studs.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 PM

yenkost whats up you forum **** just playin man.....its TPIchevy, i just joined for my fathers 74maro. all i know is yenkost has a slow truck so i wouldnt listin to what he has to say
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 74327camaro
yenkost whats up you forum **** just playin man.....its TPIchevy, i just joined for my fathers 74maro. all i know is yenkost has a slow truck so i wouldnt listin to what he has to say
HAHAHA....this from the boy with a 350 and stock 081 heads.

Welcome to the forum dude!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 PM

about the studs? my heads are coming with 3/8th studs but I was looking at 7/16th rockers...can I change the studs from 3/8 to 716ths? do they make studs with opposite thread sizes....Im thinking the part that you screw into the heads are also 3/8th

and what he told me about the cam...whatcha think?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:02 AM

about the studs? my heads are coming with 3/8th studs but I was looking at 7/16th rockers...can I change the studs from 3/8 to 716ths? do they make studs with opposite thread sizes....Im thinking the part that you screw into the heads are also 3/8th

and what he told me about the cam...whatcha think?
The studs are not machined on top so I would just get a set of ARP studs. 3/8" rockers are fine....you don't need to go bigger unless you just want too. I do believe they do make a opposite thread size but make sure......3/8" is fine.....no reason to go bigger.

The cam sounds pretty good.....the 1* overlap can't be right b/c most aggressive cams have between 40-60* of overlap. I just don't like ordering stuff without having the numbers before hand....but that's just me. I've heard great things about there cams and see some on dynos in the GEN III engines but still....I always like to know my combination.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Ok, I got the specs after placing the order...its seems to be right in line with all the others..not to much but not to little either..

224/230 535/535 @50
111 center
115 exhaust
LSA 113

says its should run like a raped ape!.....pull me to about 6300 and make peak at about 5500

again, says he does things to the lobes that make a broader curve and should flat line my curves thruout the power band...something about power under the curves..
He says he is known for acelleration!....dyno numbers dont mean nothing to him
very infomative!

I guess we'll see

Last edited by Wishmaster; 08-21-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Ok, I got the specs after placing the order...its seems to be right in line with all the others..not to much but not to little either..

224/230 535/535 @50
111 center
115 exhaust
LSA 113

says its should run like a raped ape!.....pull me to about 6300 and make peak at about 5500

again, says he does things to the lobes that make a broader curve and should flat line my curves thruout the power band...something about power under the curves..
He says he is known for acelleration!....dyno numbers dont mean nothing to him
very infomative!

I guess we'll see
What he must do is take the lobe ramps and build them up slowly and then have a broad tip instead of a peak.....or something to that effect. 113 LSA would give you good vacuum at idle but I would have thought he would have went up on the lift for the duration unless those are specs for 1.5 rockers and your going 1.6.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 PM

yeah I went ahead and kept the 1.52's per suggestion from him...I was going to get a set of 1.6's but they were not going to be as good as the comp pro magnum's that I have and he said those are damn good rockers...and yeah that what he says he does to the lobes...so whatcha think? looks ok? There a guy over on stealthram.com that in his sig runs an 11.7 and he's using the LT4 hotcam with 1.6's and the old AFR 190's so thats about what mine is with 1.5's but I do have the updated 195's...huh?

as long as the motor runs good I'll be ok....this cam search has wore me out!..LOL!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Yea...I have that Pro Magnums and I will testify that they are some good rockers. Yea....you should have the updated 195s, just clean up the HSR intake from burred and polish it up.....don't port it, and you'll be fine. With the right combination of parts, you should be in the 11's.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:25 PM

what does the centerline numbers..do? when all the other cams have told me like 108 or 110 for the centerline?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Centerline angle describes the installed position in the engine and its a measurement of the position of the cam to the crank.

Quick Reply: Cam choices for my stealthram'd 383