3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Calling 5.7L TPI Guys - I need your measurements

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 11:59 PM

Lightbulb Calling 5.7L TPI Guys - I need your measurements

My brother and I are seriously looking into a project of putting a 5.7L TPI engine from say a ‘90-‘92 model F-Body into my ’97 V6 Camaro. We need some measurements, and it would be greatly appreciated if any of you guys that have a 350 w/TPI wouldn’t mind helping us out. I need measurements for height from the center and top of the intake plenum to the center and bottom of the oil pan. We also need a measurement of length from the crank pulley to the back of the engine – or at least the intake where the distributor mounts. The last measurement we need to know is how wide the engine is if taken from the center of one side with headers or exhaust manifolds to the other side. If anybody feels generous enough to go under their hood with a measuring tape and let me know, I’d greatly appreciate it. I need measurements to compare and see what it is going to take to get an engine like this in my Camaro. The mechanical and mounting issues aren’t too big a deal yet. I’m concerned first on if the thing is going to fit. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:17 AM

while i dont know any measurements for my engine, i wouldnt advise a 350 TPI swap in there. the distibutor will NEVER clear the firewall. i would suggest doing an lt1 swap instead. they are going on ebay pretty cheap right now so the time is right for that...hope this helps
Old 11-28-2002, 10:49 AM

Thumbs up Rather not go with the LT1

Thanks for the reply. We're not wanting to go with the LT1 due to the optispark distributors and their many problems among other things. The LT1s are much more computer controlled and we're wanting to get away from a lot of this. An older SBC engine is much cheaper (and easier) to maintain and upgrade than the LT1 engine will ever be. The distributor clearance isn't much of an issue - we're going to cut a hole under the wind shield cowl, I've looked into this a great deal and we're pretty sure it'll work fine. I'm mainly looking for the measurements to make sure that everything will fit in the engine compartment. Clearance issues for maintenance don't bother me that much - they're are plenty of things we can do to fix these issues.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:19 PM

The v6 f bod and the Z28 f bod should be the same body wise. If the 350 Lt1 fits, then the L98 and the older blocks will fit, I don't think there was as length or height difference between blocks.

I've seen a number of LT1 cars with carbed motors with distributors. I think there are a couple of guys in the drag racing forum that are running carbs and distributors, make a post over there and see what you can find out.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:19 PM

thanks onefastgta
Old 11-28-2002, 07:12 PM

Like onefastgta pointed out the measurements are pretty universal among small blocks, however if you want the measurements anyways shoot me a message, I have a complete from pan-tpi on an engine stand in my garage and it would take two seconds to get an accurate profile.