3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

block learn numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:13 PM

Question block learn numbers?

anyone know what the typical bottom end of the block learn scale is used through gm?

tpis set my chip at 108 as the bottom scale point and it's still so rich that a scanner can't pick anything up because of it. their tunning solution beyond all the fuel they supposedly pulled out on the second chip is to lower my fuel pressure so now i'm at 34 with the regulator backed off all the way still running unbelievably rich.

tpis sucks at true custom chip burning.....
Old 09-19-2003, 06:22 PM

GM uses 108 as the bottom of the block learn scale. I just bought the components to start reading and burning my own chips but as luck would have it I have been out of time lately for any research on my Z. If you go to Thirdgen.org the prom burning board has a wealth of knowlege. After reading a couple of aftermarket proms I found that most are not really that different from factory, Plus from following some of your posts you have a lot of mods. You could use either your own research to burn your own or a dyno tuned prom taylored to your car not TPIS'generic model. Check out TRAXION's article on chip burning it is enlightening to say the least, a ton of great research information. This guy is awsome. Also pay close attention to Grumpy's Stuff.

Last edited by 92BLKL98; 09-19-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:42 PM

yes i agree with you. the ONLY reason i went with a tpis chip is because i used their cam and their intake along with their suggestions after modeling a recent similar buildup. needless to say the stage 6 chip was neither resonably priced nor well thoughtout. i have had a hell of a time trying to fix their errors. i'm working on one more data log and if they can't burn it properly off of that i'm pulling all of my "tpis" parts off the car and throwing them through their windows.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:45 AM

LOL , I hear ya about TPIS

but I think the BLM count you want is about 128 ....seems to be the ### II keep hearing
Old 09-20-2003, 12:30 PM

yeah that's what i've heard as well.....

there is only one spot in the whole are that comes close to that and it's up around 3800. the rest are 108's across the board....
Old 09-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Banned

A question. How can you expect that K-Mart suit to fit you as good as a suit tailored to your body specs?

Mine is done either by the tuner who sits in the car and takes readings while driving (Lingenfelter) and doing several burns or by taking readings in different scenarios (fasterproms.com) and in the latter case, they get it close, do readings and reburn then take more readings and reburn till it is nuts on.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:47 PM

if you had read any of my previous posts you would know.......

they have the exact combo in their shop with their own dyno tested and supposedly proven numbers. the miniram III and their specific cam were both built to optimize. i built it exactly to their specifications.

that's how i expect a 550 chip to work.

if it's their parts, their build specs and their chip i would hope it would work. gm didn't have to burn thousands of chips for every L98 for the exact same specs why should tpis?

Last edited by kandied91z; 09-21-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Banned

34 psi is way too low. I suspect something else wrong. What size are the injectors and are they known good ones? I may have read your previous posts but unless you are a good looking female, I tend to forget people. The HR guy took me to meet my interviewer which would end up as my boss if I were hired. Walking 100 yards later, I forgot her name.

If it is built to their combination and you are running rich, how did you find it out? Reason I asked is I once had a valve cover crimp my injector harness on the driver side. That shorted out the circuit at the fuse. Car would flood till it died. Gas would be coming out the tailpipe but the O2 sensor read way lean. Could not figure it out till someone helped me and told me that the driver side is cold and the plugs dry while the pass side is hot and wet. All the injectors were not firing on the driver side and hence the lean reading. Changed O2 sensor, checked temp sensor, everything but no joy till the wire was fixed and the fuse replaced.

What is the injector size and what is the pulse width? Also, do the plugs look fouled?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:28 PM

only way i know beyond the horrible gas mileage is through the datalogs when it's hooked up to the machine or i'm running my datamaster with my laptop. the injectors are 30lb svo, i'm not to sure about the pulse and if anything the plugs look almost lean which doesn't add up.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Banned

Whoa!!! Do they know that? I am running a 383 and I changed from 30 pph to 24 pph. Unless I was using forced induction, I wouldn't go much more than that. That is probably why you need to drop the pressure that low. My pulse width is around 1.5 ms. I would be curious to see what yours is.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:46 PM

yes they hand picked all the elements.

i told them what i wanted to achieve and they gave me pretty much all the specs and parts to follow. that's the only reason why i'm pretty upset with them as a whole. it's their damn design you know. i will check with the pulse is and let you know.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Banned

Supposedly increasing the fuel pressure helps in the atomization of the fuel. If that is the case, the reverse it true. In that case, 34 psi would seriously hurt the atomization. You want an fuel air emulsion and the low pressure may present larger drops of fuel. Just a theory.

You might want to get a second opinion on the EPROM. Try my prom burner people and see what they tell you. If I am not mistaken, they have a money back gaurantee.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:22 AM

i call them up. thanks!

Old 09-23-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by aklim
A question. How can you expect that K-Mart suit to fit you as good as a suit tailored to your body specs?
When you bought your torso and arms from K-Mart too, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a decent fit.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

Don't know. We had 3 K-marts that came down to 1 and now none for at least a 50 mile radius that I know of. You know that a universal fit application means that it fits nothing in this universe, right?

Quick Reply: block learn numbers?