3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

3RD Gen won't crank. Design Flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:15 AM

You said your sure it will happen when you don't have time to chase it with a test light. If that happens, I'd try that one guy's suggestion and tilt the steering wheel all the way up and see if that works. It may not work, but if it does your back on the road AND that should narrow down your search for the problem to the VATS/steering column.

I have something similar with my headlight dimmer switch. I can get it to go to high beams ALL the time, but sometimes I can't dim my lights. I'm not sure how or why I found this out, but if I tilt the steering wheel up the problem goes away.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by third&fourthgen
I have something similar with my headlight dimmer switch. I can get it to go to high beams ALL the time, but sometimes I can't dim my lights. I'm not sure how or why I found this out, but if I tilt the steering wheel up the problem goes away.
Your problem sounds just like a misadjusted Hi/Lo beam switch.
We have a tech article for the adjustment. It doesn't take more than a few minutes and the article has pictures for illustrations.
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=16

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Thanks Lou, I may be doing this soon.

Nice website, some helpful hints and how-tos on there...
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Learned the steering wheel trick long ago, doesn't work on this one. I've had the kick panel & shifter plate out for 2 weeks now, test light & tools in the back, and she's started everytime. I guess that was the fix! lol
Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM

2 months later and it still has started everytime. I've even been driving it daily since the clutch is acting up on my Ranger. I'm almost ready to put the shift plate & kick panel back in. I did fiddle with the wiring on the VATS module when I took the kick panel out, just to make sure it all looked OK. Maybe it was something with that?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Re: 3RD Gen won't crank. Design Flaw?

So it's been almost a year now and I'm still good. 90% sure it was that VATS module behind the kick panel. Still haven't put he panel back on though...
Old 12-24-2010, 02:47 AM

Re: 3RD Gen won't crank. Design Flaw?

Originally Posted by the_chadster
So it's been almost a year now and I'm still good. 90% sure it was that VATS module behind the kick panel. Still haven't put he panel back on though...
FYI
I know it's been a while since you posted the above, a security device would not be in an easily accessible area. Only the starter enable relay is behind the kick panel, The VATS module is in a time consuming area to reach, time is not a luxury when boosting a car. The VATS still needs to be defeated to enable the injectors.