3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Is the 305 L98 Worth Building??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
zjr

Re: Disillusional Say it everyone.

Originally Posted by pgm
I don't recall anyone here ever claiming that a 305 can't make power, only that it isn't cost effective. Anything can make power, the real question is, how much do you want to spend? You'll spend more to get the same amount of power from a 305 as a 350. Period.

If you had used a 350 instead of a 305 stroker, you would simply make more power for less money. No matter how you paint it, in terms of cost, it is not worth it to build a 305 and that's the answer to the original poster's question. End of story.

FWIW I was the one who mentioned added coolant to demonstrate that 83's "light weight" claim cannot possibly be valid. The engines are within several pounds of one another. His claim is just not true.
FWIW I know you were and yet he correct the 305 block is a lighter light on the weight not much but in the end is it sill lighter? So how could it be untrue.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
zjr

Originally Posted by 82355
You didn't get it either huh? That doesn't surprise me. I will make a rebuttal to the rest of your (notice the correct use there) drivel later. I don't have time right now.

Martin

Please do so take all the time needed. Yes take the time to properly research the idea before sticking you *** in the sand. OOPs term was head up your *** or was that in the sand either way point was made.
Your truly dont understand yet either then do you?

If I take a 305 stroke it and move power from it's low life from it was and end up with more in the area that works what this to understand?
Please tell me ohhh great one.
Did I do something wrong to when achieved this, or just wrong in your view point? If it is your intention to tell me motor combo is junk then back it the FAWK up.
I can and have run in yes the 5l class and yes I have broke a few rules but then so has half the field I am against so please give me your engine building and hot racing info because I have been doing it wrong now for several years and need someone to take me by the hand and show me my errors.
If you raced as much and screwed motors together half as much as you claim and prove these to me (which by the way I can produce any documents on my car and it's build FWIW) then I will consider you the master.
In my class we used to put up with stuff such as *******s grinding and stamping new numbers to several different block's to show it as a 305.
I have been doing what I do know for several years only because several reasons none of which I will deny or justify thats racing as the term is said loosely.. But here they are:
1) if it is 5l class action should I be faulted for not doing so. Almost all the others are.
2 )why should I be given a field disadvantage.
None of which I feel I have to tell you because I dont and wont see you in the 5l classes.

Answer them 1st legitimately and I may consider different strategies but till then dont brain wash people into the thought of a 305 stroker not working or by far not worth it.

As for the comment on the 350 being turned down to make a 305 think it over before giving useless info such as that.
First you'd have to sleeve the cylinder down to the 305.
The crank of the 305 is almost Identical as that of a 350. Because they BOTH share a 3" inch bore. Even more so in later years. Yes look at it closer there strokes are the same. You'd have to grind it down farther then you proposed which would leave you with a 307 or 283 not a 305 these are the small journal motor's 305 350 and 400 are what? Good answer large journals.
Dont believe me look hell if too lazy google it. Thats why a 400 crank produces 340 in the 307 has more room it can run up the cylinder get it small but a lager bore..
Here is a prime example for you and have done it on other stroker's but not my 334..... The 305 350 share same parts and interchange. I can literally take my 334 crank and swap it into the 350 for 383 if I choose.
Only reason to be leery of a 305 crank over a 350 is the guess?

Strength. Yes the 305 crank isn't as strong a but only on certain years. It has a two piece cast and you easily spot it if looking at it.
If still unsure rub a penny across the journal or spout if you prefer.. Can you tell me why one crank will have a copper spot on it and not both? Or at least tell me which crank will have a copper spot?

Hmmmmmm who is the idiot now?
83 yes you were right with my attitude and knowledge I just may belong here instead thanx.

Give a man time and he will hang himself once proof is shown against what he dont believe.

Last edited by zjr; 10-26-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by zjr
As for the comment on the 350 being turned down to make a 305 think it over before giving useless info such as that.
First you's have to sleeve the cylinder down to the 305.
The crank of the 305 is alomost Identical as that of a 350. Yes look at it closer there strokes are the same. Youd have to grind it down farther then you proposed. Because they BOTH share a 3" inch bore. Dont believe me look hell if too lazy google it.

Hmmmmmm who is the idiot now?
Still you apparently, I never said that. As for the cranks between a 305 and a 350, yes they have the same stroke (3.480"), but they are different. They have different counterweights to make up for the "massive" amount of weight diffeerence between a 305 and a 350 that makes the 305 so much better.

Martin
Old 10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
pgm

Originally Posted by zjr
FWIW I know you were and yet he correct the 305 block is a lighter light on the weight not much but in the end is it sill lighter? So how could it be untrue.
It is not lighter. It is theoretically slightly heavier. Think about an sbc with a 1" bore and all the extra iron that would be required on the deck and at the base of the cylinder. A smaller bore means more iron around the cylinder. I have explained this numerous times and if you can't visualize this then quit embarrassing yourself.

There may be variations in the castings of both 305 and 350 throughout the years, but on average, the 305 would be slightly heavier.

Even if it were 5lbs lighter, to call it "light weight" is absurd.

Originally Posted by zjr
First you's have to sleeve the cylinder down to the 305.
The crank of the 305 is alomost Identical as that of a 350. Yes look at it closer there strokes are the same. Youd have to grind it down farther then you proposed. Because they BOTH share a 3" inch bore. Dont believe me look hell if too lazy google it.
Nobody ever suggested such an idiotic thing as sleeving a 350 block to 305. Apparently only you would ever think of doing such a thing. I am quite well aware that 305 and 350 strokes are the same, but what the hell SBC has a 3" bore? I said that it is better to run a 302-like engine and scrap the 305, ie 4" bore with 3" stroke.

If nothing else, please try and direct your comments at the right person from now on.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 PM
zjr

Re: Is the 305 L98 Worth Building??

Hmmm two complete idiots cant believe my eyes.
Are either one of you two related?

So I guess I'll start a new thread labeled 334 chevy and why not.
See you there. Anyone else sorry this turned into a 6 page post over nothing being proven against what is a good combo.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by zjr
I miss typed spell accidentally, sorry. No it isn't disillusional, it is delusional, just like I used. Here, try this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=delusional

As opposed to this one:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=disillusional

Good thing you tryed to make yourself look smart there.
zjr -- Wont argue this just want to say some one here needs prozac.
No, not really, I don't even take aspirin, but hey what ever you need to tell yourself.

Originally Posted by zjr
Yeah, Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons are the single greatest pistons in the world. Do you believe yourself when you say stuff that stupid???
zjr-- And you ole master care to enlighten us on a good brand? Especially one that is committed to providng matched sets? Dont know to many that really take their work at heart or that dedicated.
Kieth Black makes quality products, but they are not the greatest pistons in the world, especially since they are hypereutectic as opposed to forged.

Originally Posted by zjr
Because I care??? Is that where all your misinformation comes from? Reading comic books? I prefer my correct info that comes from hands on experience.
zjr-- Hmmm Comic books? Do you realize they have more money and experience then you? They are paid to play.
Also they get to do so on a unrestricted budget? Meaning that they can build test run dyno about anything they care to. Bet you cant.
Yes we know you love hands on experience dont you.
I never said there is anything wrong with Hot Rod or Car Craft. In fact I used to have a subscribtion to each, and read them religiously. I am just saying you can't just read about something and be an expert, you have to actually do some of it too.

Originally Posted by zjr
No it isn't. The fastest way to make more power is to flow more air. There is no denying that. You take a crappy, restricted engine and make it bigger, all you have is more displacement that you can't fill correctly. Sounds like you are going in the wrong direction to me. You still think people dislike the 305 because of its diminutive size don't you? IT IS NOT A 305'S SIZE THAT MAKES IT SUCK. Once again, a 302 Chevy or Ford, are both very good engines, that are smaller than a 305.
zjr-- At some point in time dont you think airflow can be acheived and well move from there?
I think it's stock size sucks or wouldn't have stroked it to begin with. Think about that.
I am not going to lie, your complete lack of grasping the English language makes that a little hard to understand. I think you are trying to say "with the correct components a 305 can be made to flow descently. Yes the displacement of a 305 sucks, that is why I stroked it, to improve it"

Well that's fine and dandy, but with the same parts on a 350 you would of made much more power and flowed even more air. Even with out the stroker crank in the 350 it would of done better. Actually it would of done much better because of being an undersquare engine as opposed to the oversquare 3.746 x 3.750 stroked 305.

Originally Posted by zjr
I read every post in this thread. None of the misinformation you spewed was of any consequence. Oh, and I don't wear hats.
zjr-- Try one your bald spot is showing. misinformation huh? He stated a good build from a very reputable source. Even showed links who's misinformed?
And if you read so good read down a little and find the post reffered to on water jackets.
You need to work on using commas. It would make your garble much easier to read. I don't have a bald spot. If I did I am pretty sure I wouldn't care if you made fun of it. Making fun of my physical appearance seems irrelevant. . . . .

Originally Posted by zjr
Yes, it would exist, because we live in a capitalist society, and people are willing to take stupid peoples money for their own advancement. As for being used in the racing "WORLD", where??? I am involved in dirt track racing, figure 8 racing, demolition derbys, drag racing, and street racing. I have screwed together many engines, transmissions, and axles. Never once have I ever seen a stroked 305.
Originally Posted by zjr
But I bet he strokes himself ALOT.
Once again, the relevancy??? Besides that, what is wrong with a little masturbation?

Originally Posted by zjr
To tell you the truth, I don't even know anyone that has rebuilt a 305.
zjr-- Seems 82355 has very few friends and we see why right?
So . . . . . two childish insults . . . . no rebuttal . . . . . well at least I don't have to read through any spelling or grammatical errors that way.

Originally Posted by zjr
350s and 400s are a dime a dozen here. I have put together a few stroked 350s and a couple destroked 400, but never bothered spending money on a 305. Most people are aware of their crappy, valve shrouding 3.746 bore.
zjr-- Hey if they are only a dime a dozen I want 1200 dollars worth. By the way quick how many would that be?
Because they go for alot more then that here.
Well you drive up here and pick it up, and I will give you a 350. I have a few bare blocks out in the shop and I have a 350 short block in the box of a '75 K20. Hell, I even have a reringed 350 sitting on an old tire out in the shop.

Originally Posted by zjr
zjr-- Good for you sure everyone on this board has or will at some point. Does that make you an expert oh mighty one. Seeing you skipped the 305 build I guess he was right on being biased. Or was aiming at the easy route. Either way it dont matter you already said enough b.s as well to make a very clear case you know absolutely nothing about nothing unless valve shrouding is included in the statement.
I think you are saying everyone on this board has or will rebuild an engine. I highly doubt that. No I am not an expert, but I do realize the shortcomings of the 305. Why does skipping the build of a 305 make me biased? I chose not to because there were always superior alternatives. Building a different engine, just to be different seems really stupid to me. Who would I be trying to prove a point too??? So I know nothing about nothing besides valve shrouding huh? Okay . . . . .

Originally Posted by zjr
My stuck what???
zjr-- A$$ I read it he even went on to say your head was too.
You stil haven't figured out that simple joke yet have you? Do you need me to explain it to you? If so, maybe you should take some remedial classes. Grade school is calling your (not you're) name.

Originally Posted by zjr
You really butchered this line, I had to make fun of it twice. I believe you were going for "Then again, it doesn't matter to you, because you have your head stuck in the sand" or "Then again, it doesn't matter to you, because you have your head stuck up you a$$." I have never seen the two statements mixed together, but maybe that is how you talk. Wouldn't surprise me any. Never start a sentence with "but" by the way.
zjr-- have to say you are quick yep he said it twice just to **** you off I bet.
I'll even bet that it was aimed at saying *** as well care to wager that?
You didn't catch that one either huh? He messed up the figure of speech. he mixed two together, and it came out a garbled mess. Then again, it is very similar to all of your typing, so I suppose it made sence to you.

Last edited by 82355; 10-26-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by zjr
You lose all credibility here (not that you had much . . . .)
Zjr-- Like yours counts. 83 Had to have some I seen a post in another club me and 83 belong to and well I am here to say hi. I have a stroked 305 and proud of it.
Well I am excited for you. What club is that? Thirdgen.org I suppose? I know 305s suck, and I am proud of that.

Originally Posted by zjr
It doesn't weigh any noticeable amount less that any other SBC. Where are you geting this from??? You say it doesn't hold anymore coolant than a 350, of course it doesn't, not a noticeable amount.
zjr-- Can you read it was stated it must because of the water jacket being different then the 350?
Originally Posted by zjr
The same as it doesn't weigh a noticeable amount more or less than any other small block.

I tell you what. I don't have any 305 blocks laying around (I haul them away for scrap iron), but have several 350 blocks out in the shop. You want me to weigh a bre 350 block? I have several, maybe we can test the difference between one from the 70's, 80's, and 90's while were at it. Then you go find a bare 305 block and weigh it.

Then everyone laughs at you.

zjr--- hey I wanna play though we are only going to find a few #'s different if that.
Your (you own these little add ins) little add ins are so cute.

So, you are agreeing that there is no noticeable weight difference between a 305 and a 350? That is the thing your buddy keeps saying that is about the stupidest.

Originally Posted by zjr
No, he doesn't. He asked if it was worth building. We told him the truth.
zjr-- No you gave him your thoughts not the truth. The truth is in the eye of the beholder. That and the fact you even state you never and dont know anyone who has built a 305. 83 gave you the truth when he pointed out a stroked version but you dont like that . Even continue to hound the poor guy trying to pour your thoughts into his head hmmmmm.
The truth is in the eye of the beholder??? No it isn't. You are thinking of opinions. I know people who have tried souping up 305s, but never anyone that has disassembled and rebuilt a 305 for performance reasons. Hell I owned a '90 IROC-Z with a 305 TPI and a T5. It had a cam and a few other things, and I did a few small modifications. I never messed with the engine though. It would of been a waste of time.

Originally Posted by zjr
No it isn't. Especially if one is going to go through the work of rebuilding it. Then it definitely isn't. Why don't you drop your pipe dream about the glory of the stroked 305. If the pipe you are smoking this crap out of was as restricted as a 305, you wouldn't be nearly this high, and you would see what is wrong with a 305.
zjr Once again your opinion not knowledge shows. If it did show instead of pushing your oversize ego and thoughts on what is perfect you would have accepted a thought passed instead of continuing.
I didn't say anything about perfect. I did try to show him the imperfections of the 305 though.

Originally Posted by zjr
zjr--What is worth building is anything that runs. Wanna meet me in texas or silver state? I attend yearly both events and am sure I could definitely prove you wrong on that thought. I will leave the 334 in the car.
No, I have no desire to drive to Texas to watch some mediocre third gen run. I can see that anywhere.

Originally Posted by zjr
See, its cheaper to put a 350 in place of a 305 than to build it.
zjr-- I'll even agree 83 did say that a few times already your point?
My point is, then why mess with the 305???

Originally Posted by zjr
As for the block, scrap iron is bringing good money right now, get rid of that boat anchor while you can.
scrap here aint worth **** and neither ( had to correct this) is any of your staements as of yet.

zjr-- You dont like a 305 stroked fine but I have proof in the pudding bud and do enjoy my motor so just lets say your walking a thin line here and be done with this.
Another nice little add in. I guarantee you scrap iron is bringing good money there too. It is bringing good money all over the US. China is buying the stuff like there is no tommorow, but we are not going to get in an economics debate here. For one, it is irrelevant, and two, I don't want to stress your brain.

Originally Posted by zjr
I will say 83 brought up a combo that I happen to run and yes I have seen a few others running them as well. That is an under statement by the way.
That said maybe you might wanna run what you brung and I will do the same.
I don't need to run anything. I have seen lots of people run 305s. None of them have impressed me.

Martin
Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 AM
zjr

Seeing this isnt our post and this is going alot longer then it should I feel we should be polite and move. It would be much more respectful for a guy wanting some ideas then us wasting his and everyone elses time reading a post dealing none other then mods he isnt interested in. Kind of makes us all asses for doing so dont you think?

That said here goes no I dont belong to any other camaro group. I only own 1 f-body pain in the ***. It is running a stroked BB for starters and cost of running it is outrageous. I will give you these hints 83 had the car before me. I found a liking to it and guess what when we were together in the service it became mine. So guess you figured that out right? A little history he ran a camaro at orange county. It was a 10.2 ,126 mph car in the 1/4er. Fast enough to be tossed out for not having a cage that we rectified by the next outing. Forgot to mention this was in mid 80's as well As a junkyard untuned car, definitely our first outing.
I also want to apologize for being in a hurry earlier and mis posting the stroke of the 305 350. It is 3.48". Was trying to get out to deer camp.
Anyways glad you like my add ins. They are fun. And aimed at being fun not offensive.
Any engine is what you personally make of it. Find it's faults and work from there each has some and even handicapped they can be worked out.
Nothing said that leads you to believe that I would agree with you yet is there well there is a slight difference in weght yes noticeable only if that is what want to think. 5# to you may be 100 to your wife one can never judge espacially if you are tossing as much weight as you can off the car, That said I would have to say in common sense gee yes there is no difference.
We disagree once again, opinions are like well you get the idea. Truth is whatever you want it to mean to you. Example preachers tell you the truth (in their eyes) that Jesus lives. It is up to you to decide if that is a truth for you. (Note quickest idea that came to mind to help explain so offense was not aimed, nor religion denied, pushed, and or mocked.
As for wasting your time then that was your opinion not the truth.
Imperfections of the 305 are like among everything else full of them. Heard all I wanted to hear about the valves being shrouded. Even read on a post stating something about afr heads and such and by way 83 does have them I gave em to him when we partied (raced at) martin in Mich. So Texas isn't only place I run read a few other threads of mine since joining.
I say play with whatever makes you happy. Yes a stock 350 uses almost same amount of gas as 305 but when the fun comes which do you think does better on mileage. How many grins do you think people have looking at something besides another 350 combo of some kind and what makes you think that I cant run with anything bigger then the class I am in? You yourself are knocking a combo that you say is weak all across the board but yet never even been near one.

O.k onward to the post or drop it here because as stated this is a little rude of us.

Last edited by zjr; 10-27-2005 at 10:57 PM.