2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums
View Poll Results: optional supercharger?
Hell yes!
55.32%
No. Just give me a Z28 already
34.04%
I dont want either, NA SS or V6 is fine with me
10.64%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

What about this? An answer to the Z28 issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM

I still think a Z28 designation could be used the same way the 1LE was used on the 4th gens. Ditch most of the optional stuff, and better suspension gear/tuning. That is, in essence, what the Z28 designation originally was. Make the supercharged top car a ZL1 or something.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM

What I find is funny is that Gm can make a Z/28, with the LSA, and have it handle better and outperform the SS as well as any other Z/28 ever made and "the afficianados" would still complain about it.

FWIW, the Z/28 only met this "elite" criteria for only a small fraction of its life cycle. It's alot like saying that Cobra's should only come with a blower even though it's had one for 2 of its 11 year existence.

Back to OP, I would be all for a warranty-able supercharger kit for the SS just as FRPP does for the Mustang.

Last edited by 95firehawk; 04-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 AM

I think the Z28 should be more analogous to the C5 Z06 insofar as it has a refined NA motor, and more focused chassis, suspension, etc without getting dedicated chassis or handbuilt ultraexpensive motors.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=Nightshade;5860883]

[What if (when GM gets back on it's feet) made a new 5.0L LS series engine, and ][made it real nasty despite it's size like the original 302? (My guess would be if they ][were doing it this way they'd give it DI or a supercharger) Then they would have to][somehow cut a bunch of weight out of the 5th gen, maybe to the point where the ][weight approaches the 4th gens. Then give it a real hot suspension/wheel/tire etc.] [package.

AMEN brother!!! ....... and a "i seccond the motion"
and yes, the top-dawg s/c supercar should be a ZL1...

But probly doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 05-15-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 PM

I sure do hope they drop the z/28 so im not sittin here waiting for nothing! But i do feel they should drop something that can put any level ford to shame because thats the problem gm's been having for some time now in my opinion is lack of competitiveness. They lost that when they started making classic musclecars like the monte carlo v6's instead of the cars theyre historical backgrounds intended them to be. I say make options available regardless what level or model of the car your planning to buy but a model should only be considered a model and badges should only be granted for a model directly from the manufacturer. My question is if you buy an ls9 from the manufacturer and have it installed prior shipment do they add the price of it into the original price of the car and if so then doesnt that mean you should get the original engine as well since you technically paid for it? Wouldnt mind getting an ss with the optional ls9 and then having the ls99 on the stand ready for modifications!! But lets all keep our fingers krossed that the z/28 does drop because domestics as a whole need to stay competitive and chevy needs to hold its crown down!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 AM

i would be all over an optional supercharger through gmpp that was covered under the factory warranty.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by z28camaro1090
all im saying is if they put motor trend had the z28 with the charger written up they were talking about 638hp.. haha whats ford gonna do now.. that will absolutly murder the shelby.. if the new camaro ss already doesnt alone
Add another 100hp to the GT500 - its really just that easy, the 07-09 cars had a 100hp upgrade with a warranty if the regular 500hp wasn't enough.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Add another 100hp to the GT500 - its really just that easy, the 07-09 cars had a 100hp upgrade with a warranty if the regular 500hp wasn't enough.
Can you link it?

I know it is easy in the aftermarket to get that kind of power, but a 100hp upgrade is going to be a new hurting on a factory car. I know how overbuilt the Mustang is supposed to be, and I know there were some GT500 spin offs, but that seems really careless to me. The GT500KR didn't have a warranty.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Can you link it?

I know it is easy in the aftermarket to get that kind of power, but a 100hp upgrade is going to be a new hurting on a factory car. I know how overbuilt the Mustang is supposed to be, and I know there were some GT500 spin offs, but that seems really careless to me. The GT500KR didn't have a warranty.
Yeah, let me dig it up - http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9887

The warranty info is actually in the catalog, but I C&P'd it below. IIRC the KRs came with a warranty until you exceeded the 105hp kit, after that you were on your own since they could be had up to 725hp.

Performance Packs (M-FR1-MGT, M-2005-FR1, M-5251-R, M-2005-FR1A, M-2006-FR1, M-2007-FR1V6, M-2007-FR1SVT, M-7210-T1, M-7210-V, M-7210-B, M-9603-GTB, M-9603-GT05, M-9603-GT05A, M-9603-GT06, M-9603-V605, M-9603-SVT07 and M-2005-FR3, M-2007-FR3V6, M-2007-FR3SVT, M-5230-V6) found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship for 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) when installed on a new vehicle at the time of vehicle sale or 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) when installed after the date of vehicle sale but prior to the expiration of the 3-year/36,000-mile coverage (whichever occurs first) under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Performance Pack Registration – This limited warranty requires that parts must be purchased from an authorized Ford Racing Dealer and installed by a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealer, or Shelby Automotive, Inc. Proof of purchase may be required for submission of warranty claims. Registration for this warranty must be submitted by a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealer, or Shelby Automotive, Inc. through the Ford Performance Call Center (800) 367-3788 with P&A Code, the vehicle identificationnumber (VIN), part installation repair order and date, Ford Racing part number and owner information.

Performance Packs (FR1 only) Note: Customers who purchase FR1 kits are required to use 91 or higher octane fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of premium 91 octane fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair.

Performance Packs (FR3) Note: The FR3 performance handling application is designed for “Track Day” limit ride and handling. Such performance standards suggest vehicle ride will be more indicative of race performance vehicles. Vehicle conditions including,but not limited to, squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not subject to warranty repair.The FR3 Handling Pack requires the use of original equipment size wheels only. Thisperformance handling application should be expected to accelerate tire wear. Prematuretire degradation is not subject to warranty consideration. The front end alignment must be checked and adjusted as necessary after installation. Contact the Ford Performance Call Center (800) 367-3788 for front end alignment information.

Warranty Start Date – This limited warranty begins upon dealer installation and registration by the dealer of the Ford Racing Performance Pack(s) with Ford Racing and ends at either 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) when installed on a new vehicle at the time of vehicle sale or 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all installations occurring after the date of vehicle sale but prior to the expiration of the 3-year/36,000-mile coverage (whichever occurs first) under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

--->edit<----
Unrelated, but the dealer I had purchased my 07 GT from has a KR on the lot still and is discounting it to the MSRP - LMAO - unfoturnately they only list it as a regular GT500 with a price of 82k before discount on the email I got.

Last edited by bossco; 05-26-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM

My understanding is that GM is not going to produce the Z28 at all. I think I read it in one of the business papers and it was quoted from a spokeshead type from GM. No supercharger and no 500+ hp engine. Believe it was because they didn't want to compete against the Corvette and now they are going through bankruptcy this was not a feasible time to even think about launching a super high horsepower car. They didn't rule it out for the future though but now through 2012 it isn't going to happen along with the convertible Camaro.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 PM

i think they already said the convertable is coming but not til 2011. as far as a z28, it will come out and it doesnt matter if it beats the vette because there are still 2 other version of vette that are above the "z28". have you ever heard of the cts-v? it beats the vette and its a sedan. the approach you are looking at is the way chevy USED to be with the camaro. now its a whole new ball game.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
--->edit<----
Unrelated, but the dealer I had purchased my 07 GT from has a KR on the lot still and is discounting it to the MSRP - LMAO - unfoturnately they only list it as a regular GT500 with a price of 82k before discount on the email I got.

Thats funny. The impression I get from that is the car is really a regular GT500 with dealer bought stuff slapped on to make it KR comperable. Meaning for the car to be a true KR, wouldnt Carroll Shelby's shop have to register it as one, or at least give Ford permission to use the name to put on the title?

Otherwise isnt it just a modified car, which would make it worth less than not more? Not trying to derail the thread but that made me curious.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Otherwise isnt it just a modified car, which would make it worth less than not more? Not trying to derail the thread but that made me curious.
Its a real deal KR, I went and checked it out, but whoever did the email flyer didn't list it as such so it just showed up as another GT500 with an asinine ADM on it way late in the game.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i think they already said the convertable is coming but not til 2011. as far as a z28, it will come out and it doesnt matter if it beats the vette because there are still 2 other version of vette that are above the "z28". have you ever heard of the cts-v? it beats the vette and its a sedan. the approach you are looking at is the way chevy USED to be with the camaro. now its a whole new ball game.
Well that's certainly good news. Thought I grabbed a white paper a month or so ago but am obviously mistaken. Thanks for keeping me straight. I hope that whole new ball game involves getting the "kids" in the seat of these great cars and continues the tradition of American muscle car greatness. Part of the reason I believe some of that old thinking is still around is based on their decision to de-tune the 6.2L manual to marginally less HP than the exact same motor found in the corvette. If i can find the info on the convertible I'll post it straight away.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Z/28 should be a smaller displacement like a 5.3 with direct injection....IMHO
Its always been about small displacement, light weight, and great handling.

That being said, I would still go for the package with the biggest engine. But an 8000 RPM DI 5.3 would be real fun to drive and sound real nasty...the 3.6L DI V6 is real fun to drive with the stick....aahh but the 6.2 is still much more fun...

Quick Reply: What about this? An answer to the Z28 issue