2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums
View Poll Results: optional supercharger?
Hell yes!
55.32%
No. Just give me a Z28 already
34.04%
I dont want either, NA SS or V6 is fine with me
10.64%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

What about this? An answer to the Z28 issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 PM

What about this? An answer to the Z28 issue

If the Z28 doesnt come out as its on model what if GM offers a supercharger for the SS to essentially make it a Z28 and still cover it under factory warranty. maybe have suspension/brakes upgrade kits as well. Maybe make them dealer installed and can be added before or after you take delivery. I figure it could be a way for GM to offer a Z28 like car that we all want but not harm their cafe numbers. Would you go for that?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
If the Z28 doesnt come out as its on model what if GM offers a supercharger for the SS to essentially make it a Z28 and still cover it under factory warranty. maybe have suspension/brakes upgrade kits as well. Maybe make them dealer installed and can be added before or after you take delivery. I figure it could be a way for GM to offer a Z28 like car that we all want but not harm their cafe numbers. Would you go for that?
what makes you think if that could be done it wouldnt be a Z28 and get Z28 badging? BTW I voted SS as if I can swing one that probably will be it. By some stroke of luck if I get in a position where I can afford a lightweight Z28 road racer I probably will.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-29-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Being a self-proclaimed Z/28 afficianado, I'm torn.

On the one hand, I can see the value for the Camaro brand in having a Z/28 model - both because it would make a glowing and attention getting halo and it would also go a long way towards straightening out the Camaro model hierarchy, so bungled and mutilated on the 4th gen.

On the other hand, is a supercharged, nose heavy, 4100 pound, erm, "ponycar" a Z/28? Nope. Not to me.

Too much GT500 envy at the Camaro Team. Come on guys!! You know that's not the essence of a Z/28.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-29-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
what makes you think if that could be done it wouldnt be a Z28 and get Z28 badging? BTW I voted SS as if I can swing one that probably will be it. By some stroke of luck if I get in a position where I can afford a lightweight Z28 road racer I probably will.
Well the badging could be an option but the idea was that it would start out as an SS and would not come from the factory as a Z28. I dont know the rules behind CAFE but im assuming that aftermarket parts that are still OEM wont affect GM's CAFE rating but having a 550hp Z28 gas guzzler probably would (and not a good one). Do you get what im saying?

say SS is ~$30,000 (starting)
Potential Z28 would be say 40,000-45,000. the differences would be obviously power, then change suspension, a couple body changes, wheels, and maybe light weight materials.
but if GM can not justify the Z28 then they can still build the parts and sell them to the people who want them.
Supercharger kit with accessory items and tune around 7000
new hood 800
suspension components 1000
etc etc
they could potentially make the same amount (if people buy everything the Z would have) or just some. maybe someone wants an SS from the beginning but a year or so down want more power. well with this they could.

Part of this is me wanting the SS, not wanting to wait or pay for the Z28 will want to eventually supercharge but still keep the warranty.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Although I like your idea, IMVHO, the bottom end isn't built to take the boost; look at the CTS-V. Forged crank, piston squirters, better rods, etc., the LS3 nor L99 have these. If GM were to improve the LS3 to stand the boost and live past 100K miles without problem, I'd be down for a kit. Although what I'd like to see Z28 to be doesn't follow the original formula (no arguement there) I'm looking to kill a few Cobras - legally (I live in CA.) Although what I'm thinking is probably out of my price range, I'd do whatever I could to afford one, I'll tell you that.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
Well the badging could be an option but the idea was that it would start out as an SS and would not come from the factory as a Z28. I dont know the rules behind CAFE but im assuming that aftermarket parts that are still OEM wont affect GM's CAFE rating but having a 550hp Z28 gas guzzler probably would (and not a good one). Do you get what im saying?

say SS is ~$30,000 (starting)
Potential Z28 would be say 40,000-45,000. the differences would be obviously power, then change suspension, a couple body changes, wheels, and maybe light weight materials.
but if GM can not justify the Z28 then they can still build the parts and sell them to the people who want them.
Supercharger kit with accessory items and tune around 7000
new hood 800
suspension components 1000
etc etc
they could potentially make the same amount (if people buy everything the Z would have) or just some. maybe someone wants an SS from the beginning but a year or so down want more power. well with this they could.

Part of this is me wanting the SS, not wanting to wait or pay for the Z28 will want to eventually supercharge but still keep the warranty.
Im sure GM will sell tons of parts to make whatever car you want to customize and improve performance on the camaro. If thats what youre talking about there are probably going to be tons of customized camaros with different configurations. NA, Super charged. Some with Lower gears, others with whatever. If thats what youre talking about, Im sure the OEM parts will be available for do it yourself will be there with no consistant theme.

If youre talking about aftermarket shops workarounds that would be a little better. Shelby I think has done that in the past with the Shelby Mustangs. The cars I think were technically Shelbys and he wasnt bound by the same constraints that Ford were. Im not sure about the SLP with the SS cars or even the GMMP ZL1 cars. I am sure those cars will crop up in the way of Saleen, Roush, and the like. Maybe its time to bring back the Central Office Production Order

I do not think badging should EVER be an option on a model. Either it is or it isnt. A Z28 should be defined inhouse or outside or it isnt a Z28 period. They should be badged without execption. Same with any ZL1 or 1LE or any other model for that matter. I think the worst thing that could happen is a model to come out like the previous ZL1 or 1LE and people argue that there doesnt need to be a new version because technically the unbadged 5th gen Z28 was not badged and therfore is not a model... Think about this. If you buy a Z28 and you debadge it you have a debadged Z28 that still has the value of a Z28 factory car. If you buy a Z28 LIKE car without badging or you modify a 5th gen to what you think one should be, and you decide to put a badge on later, youve just put graphics on a modified/customized car. There is a HUGE difference. One is a factory Z28 new car that is a recognized model with that value/ resale value. The other is a new car you modified yourself say from an SS that is no model and just lost resale value lower than an SS to boot. Also you just possibly voided your warrenty.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-30-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:26 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by radz282003
Although I like your idea, IMVHO, the bottom end isn't built to take the boost; look at the CTS-V. Forged crank, piston squirters, better rods, etc., the LS3 nor L99 have these. If GM were to improve the LS3 to stand the boost and live past 100K miles without problem, I'd be down for a kit. Although what I'd like to see Z28 to be doesn't follow the original formula (no arguement there) I'm looking to kill a few Cobras - legally (I live in CA.) Although what I'm thinking is probably out of my price range, I'd do whatever I could to afford one, I'll tell you that.
They did that. It is called the LS9
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Im sure GM will sell tons of parts to make whatever car you want to customize and improve performance on the camaro. If thats what youre talking about there are probably going to be tons of customized camaros with different configurations. NA, Super charged. Some with Lower gears, others with whatever. If thats what youre talking about, Im sure the OEM parts will be available for do it yourself will be there with no consistant theme.

If youre talking about aftermarket shops workarounds that would be a little better. Shelby I think has done that in the past with the Shelby Mustangs. The cars I think were technically Shelbys and he wasnt bound by the same constraints that Ford were. Im not sure about the SLP with the SS cars or even the GMMP ZL1 cars. I am sure those cars will crop up in the way of Saleen, Roush, and the like. Maybe its time to bring back the Central Office Production Order

I do not think badging should EVER be an option on a model. Either it is or it isnt. A Z28 should be defined inhouse or outside or it isnt a Z28 period. They should be badged without execption. Same with any ZL1 or 1LE or any other model for that matter. I think the worst thing that could happen is a model to come out like the previous ZL1 or 1LE and people argue that there doesnt need to be a new version because technically the unbadged 5th gen Z28 was not badged and therfore is not a model... Think about this. If you buy a Z28 and you debadge it you have a debadged Z28 that still has the value of a Z28 factory car. If you buy a Z28 LIKE car without badging or you modify a 5th gen to what you think one should be, and you decide to put a badge on later, youve just put graphics on a modified/customized car. There is a HUGE difference. One is a factory Z28 new car that is a recognized model with that value/ resale value. The other is a new car you modified yourself say from an SS that is no model and just lost resale value lower than an SS to boot. Also you just possibly voided your warrenty.
I have to agree with this. I would want a Z28 from the factory, not no aftermarket mumbo jumbo. That is what I want...no SS first crap...Only one can be a Z/28.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 PM

Something that has been bothering me is that why are so many people bent on having a supercharged Z/28?

The Z/28 in its history has never been a large cubic inch Camaro let alone having forced induction. The first gen Z/28 had a 302 and the second gen had a 350. They were more of a handling package with a high compression V8.

Really what I would have liked to see was that instead of the SS version of the fifth gen that they would replace those SS badges with a Z/28. Then later come along with the SS supercharged version if the demand and business case is there.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM

I just got my MotorTrend in the mail today, and what was on the cover? None other than the Z/28. It does exist, and it's in the works at some level. I'd guess we can expect to see it in concept or preproduction 1-2 years from now, should the new Camaro sell like hotcakes.

But don't take my word for it, see for yourself:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rns/index.html
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 PM

No one said there isn't a plan for a Z28.

I'll bet on a supercharged V6 for the Z28

Then I'll bet the BLACK edition makes it out as a limited production LS9 Supercar.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 AM

V6 s/c

I,d look into something like a factory/aftermarket s/c kit for the v6 and the Z28 could get a mid level v8 like the 5.3/or become more handling oriented and become more like the 67-69 Z28 option wise(lighter weight,less options that don,t help performance).
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by canuck94z28
I,d look into something like a factory/aftermarket s/c kit for the v6 and the Z28 could get a mid level v8 like the 5.3/or become more handling oriented and become more like the 67-69 Z28 option wise(lighter weight,less options that don,t help performance).
Well I had a similar idea posted on this thread until I got my magazine:

What if (when GM gets back on it's feet) made a new 5.0L LS series engine, and made it real nasty despite it's size like the original 302? (My guess would be if they were doing it this way they'd give it DI or a supercharger) Then they would have to somehow cut a bunch of weight out of the 5th gen, maybe to the point where the weight approaches the 4th gens. Then give it a real hot suspension/wheel/tire etc. package.

I mean it's not what they're going to do, but you know it would be cool as hell. And personally something along those lines would have been a lot more creative than repackaging the CTS-V, even though I know the Z/28 Chevy already put together is going to rock. But that's just my humble opinion, I'm happy with my 'maro.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM

I dunno, the Z28 was never about raw power like it's turning into. Originally it was a smaller displacement engine limited by the qualifiactions for the trans-am series, with a real road handling package. Now its a fatty with monstrous power... wasn't that suppose to be the SS? I think I agree with the guy that said S/C v6. A mild lower displacement engine, i.e. less weight, and a killer suspension/wheel/tire combo with less factory options more with a 1LE-like option code *Shrug* That would be a "real" Z/28 in my eyes. Or make what they're calling the Z/28 an IROC-Z :P Bigger engine with everything the Z got and a different front bumper and gdfx haha
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 PM

all im saying is if they put motor trend had the z28 with the charger written up they were talking about 638hp.. haha whats ford gonna do now.. that will absolutly murder the shelby.. if the new camaro ss already doesnt alone

Quick Reply: What about this? An answer to the Z28 issue