2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums
View Poll Results: Should a V10 be a Camaro option??
Yes! Give me the power to rule the road!
16.97%
No! A V-8 is plenty!
61.82%
Maybe.
3.64%
I don't want to copy a Viper!
17.58%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

V10 in a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
The sound of a V8 owns the sound of most V10. Heard a Viper?....not the best sounding car around.
The auto rags describe the V-10 sound as "milk truck" drone. I'll take a V-8 burble any day.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM

GM can build plenty of firebreathing V8's that are lighter and get better mpg than a V10 so no thanks. No point in changing it up if you're already very good with one configuration.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1stls1
Hay Z28CAMARO4life, what the heck does that have to do w/ anything?! Soooo, if the 5th gen comes w/ a s/c 600 hp motor, you would say hell no b/c a Camaro never came w/ a s/c? I guess you wont get a new 5 gen anyways, Camaro's never came w/ DOD before!
v-10 is totally out of the relam of possiblity. I would welcome a s/c z/28 because that is deff possible. GM has been toying with the idea of a s/c lsx motor which would own any v-10 dodge or anybody else can make!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Uh, first of all, that appears to be a scale model. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't look right.

Second, those cars exhaust notes sound awesome only because they rev so high. Limit that same engine to 6000-6500 rpm and nobody would say it sounded good.

Third, I said show me a V10 that sounds "nice". You know the friendly V8 burble at idle that begs you to get in and drive? That's what I want, and AFAIK, nobody has replicated it with a V10.
all you wanted was to see a v10 with a nice sounding exhaust note, you didnt specify any restrictions

Originally Posted by graham
I believe the Ferrari F1 cars use a 2.5L V8 now?
which is why i showed a pic of the 2005 ferrari, which still used v10s. the only teams that still use them are squadro torro rosso (sp) because of a concession made to assist the minardi team.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
all you wanted was to see a v10 with a nice sounding exhaust note, you didnt specify any restrictions
A Formula 1 V10 exhaust note, as I have already noted, can hardly be called "nice". Wicked, vicious, awesome... sure, but not nice!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28Camaro4life
v-10 is totally out of the relam of possiblity. I would welcome a s/c z/28 because that is deff possible. GM has been toying with the idea of a s/c lsx motor which would own any v-10 dodge or anybody else can make!
except for a 7.75 (whom I kidding) 8.0 liter LSx based SC'd V10.

However, gasp...gasp...gasp...!!!!!! I'd say if Dodge does produce a hemi V10 you might want to recondsider, espcecially if they did something really cool like use a set of CNC ported hemi V10 heads on the viper (has anybody checked out the flow numbers for the CNC'd heads that dodge offers for the small block V8 hemi? Not to shabby). In CNC'd form the regular production pieces are good enough for 600+ HP/NA IIRC.

I'll be the first to say that I'm really not impressed with a hemispherical combustion chamber myself. However I think in a 2 valve configuration, the only way you are gonna equal or better the hemi is with a canted valve head ala' big block chevy or cleveland style ford.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM

Why not make an 8L V8?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 PM

Well you could, but maybe a 8.0 liter V10 might be a bit more compelling when it comes to engine speed and maybe even emmssions issues. An 8.0 V8 would have to have a good size bore in order to have a reasonable size stroke and if crevice volume is an issue then the bigger bore creates more crevice volume (also there is just the issue of the bore size and they way it propagates the combustion event), which I suppose could be offset by jamming the rings higher on the piston, but how high do you go? and what about people throwing chemical/forced air into the engine? An 8.0 liter V10 would solve that problem pretty easy, Its just a 6.2 liter V8 with 2 extra cylinders.

There is nothing inherently bad about a V10 (other than maybe dynamic balance issues) its just a nifty fix for increased displacement without having to reinvent the wheel from the ground up.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Why not make an 8L V8?
Check this out . I found this in a thread in LS1 Tech. An LSx engine, capable of 4.25" bore, 4.5" stroke ... do the math, that's 510 cubic inches!!

...now multiply 510 x 16.387, and you get 8357 cc's . That's right, 8.4 L!! V8 . LSx .
Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 AM

I respect the idea of dropping a V10 into a Camaro...and yet I dont beleive there is any justification that can back it up. Everybody is talking about extra power because of extra cylinders, but when I really think about it, the Viper has what, an 8 liter V10? And the Z06 has a 7 liter V8. So what do the test numbers say about those two when they are matched up? Although the track results are relatively close (with the Z06 winning most of the showdowns...my case in point), the critics insist that even if the Vipers V10 was somehow a better performer than the Vettes V8, they would still choose the Vette over it...not because of the price mind you, but rather because the Chevy V8 is far more practical as far as living with on a day to day basis. So, Chevy already has a V8 that is on par with V10s and in some cases V12s, and not to mention that there is an even CRAZIER V8 on the way that will produce over 600 horsepower. So answer me this, how could anyone justify a V10 Camaro when youve got a perfectly livable yet terrifying V8 that will probably make its way under the Camaros hood anyway (ZL1?). And, just to go off into a side-tangent, Ill bring up the issue of heritage. Now, Ive already read the comments of above concerning heritage in relation with the new IRS, or DOD, comparing both with the V10 versus V8 argument. I cant help but think that comparing all of these things as being simular issues is completly crossing the line. There is a point where your just splitting hairs with the purity of a classic nameplate. If we stayed completely pure to the original, why not just have manual door locks, do away with AC, keep drum brakes, and start getting killed in every car wreck we ever get in because our only source of safety is a belt that we fasten across our waist alone. The advancements in technology since the original are mind-blowing, and yet not so when you consider the time gap. DOD is inevitable and so is IRS...but not the V10. In fact, when you think about it, the more the cylinders, to more phased out they are becoming. You can make V8s go just as fast as V10s in many cases. No, when it comes to heritage, you have to be basic...very basic. V8, RWD, long hood, short rear deck, 2+2 seating, coupe. THAT IS IT. That is what makes a Camaro. Those are its ingredients, where you dont know why it tastes so good...it just does. Hey look at me, Im really enjoying this glass of wine the way it is, but I want a little more kick, so Im just gonna spike it with everclear! That might sound like a good idea for some teenager, but it will cost him later. And to end this already too-long rant of mine, Ill just have to say, do your really think they would put a V10 Camaro on the same line up as a V8 Corvette? Kinda unbalances the universe, dont you think?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Why even make a V10?
Chevy built one or more, as a test bed a while back. It was LSx based, if you do some searching you should be able to find it. I think they came to the right conclusion not putting it out, V8 is the American way and gets the job done quite well IMO. I WILL be getting a V8 in mine too.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jaymac332
That is what makes a Camaro. Those are its ingredients, where you dont know why it tastes so good...it just does. Hey look at me, Im really enjoying this glass of wine the way it is, but I want a little more kick, so Im just gonna spike it with everclear! That might sound like a good idea for some teenager, but it will cost him later.
Analogy of the week...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaymac332
I respect the idea of dropping a V10 into a Camaro...and yet I dont beleive there is any justification that can back it up. Everybody is talking about extra power because of extra cylinders, but when I really think about it, the Viper has what, an 8 liter V10? And the Z06 has a 7 liter V8. So what do the test numbers say about those two when they are matched up? Although the track results are relatively close (with the Z06 winning most of the showdowns...my case in point), the critics insist that even if the Vipers V10 was somehow a better performer than the Vettes V8, they would still choose the Vette over it...not because of the price mind you, but rather because the Chevy V8 is far more practical as far as living with on a day to day basis. So, Chevy already has a V8 that is on par with V10s and in some cases V12s, and not to mention that there is an even CRAZIER V8 on the way that will produce over 600 horsepower. So answer me this, how could anyone justify a V10 Camaro when youve got a perfectly livable yet terrifying V8 that will probably make its way under the Camaros hood anyway (ZL1?). And, just to go off into a side-tangent, Ill bring up the issue of heritage. Now, Ive already read the comments of above concerning heritage in relation with the new IRS, or DOD, comparing both with the V10 versus V8 argument. I cant help but think that comparing all of these things as being simular issues is completly crossing the line. There is a point where your just splitting hairs with the purity of a classic nameplate. If we stayed completely pure to the original, why not just have manual door locks, do away with AC, keep drum brakes, and start getting killed in every car wreck we ever get in because our only source of safety is a belt that we fasten across our waist alone. The advancements in technology since the original are mind-blowing, and yet not so when you consider the time gap. DOD is inevitable and so is IRS...but not the V10. In fact, when you think about it, the more the cylinders, to more phased out they are becoming. You can make V8s go just as fast as V10s in many cases. No, when it comes to heritage, you have to be basic...very basic. V8, RWD, long hood, short rear deck, 2+2 seating, coupe. THAT IS IT. That is what makes a Camaro. Those are its ingredients, where you dont know why it tastes so good...it just does. Hey look at me, Im really enjoying this glass of wine the way it is, but I want a little more kick, so Im just gonna spike it with everclear! That might sound like a good idea for some teenager, but it will cost him later. And to end this already too-long rant of mine, Ill just have to say, do your really think they would put a V10 Camaro on the same line up as a V8 Corvette? Kinda unbalances the universe, dont you think?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28Camaro4life
I agree with the Camaro staying with a V8. If they're going with heritage, tried and true, affordable and achievable, I don't see any reason to spend more money in the development and testing of another engine alternative.

On an unrelated note, is there any information (Or a thread I missed in the search feature) that would show the effect of a supercharger on an engine with Active Fuel Management?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Third, I said show me a V10 that sounds "nice". You know the friendly V8 burble at idle that begs you to get in and drive? That's what I want, and AFAIK, nobody has replicated it with a V10.
How about a Lamborghini v10? Most people with an ounce of car enthusiasm would consider them awesome sounding. How about the new BMW v10. Another good sounding engine. The Porsche v10 sounds amazing at any rpm. As mentioned earlier, the Ford 351 Mustang Boss v10 did sound pretty damn good as well. None of these engines sound anything like a Viper's does. There are actually some aftermarket exhaust systems that make a Viper sound not bad too.

I find this happens with v10s very frequently. People's only reference to a performance v10 is the Viper's, so they just assume v10s sound like garbage. Not the case.

Quick Reply: V10 in a Camaro