2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

NO MT with AFM ?? No V8 Camaros with MT ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
Manuals dont let the ecu control much of anything - much less how to optimize the reduced power output of the engine while AFM is active.
I know that computer would not be able to change gears in a manual, but I suppose you could throw something like CAGS on there to prevent changing gears whilst in AFM mode, but again that would be cumbersome and probably not be of much help.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM

What About The V6??????

We've all discussed AFM on the V8, BUT WHAT ABOUT ON THE V6????? A few things to consider.......

1. I'm assuming the 3.6L DI V6 used in the CTS will be the V6 Camaro's powerplant, problem is...... the CTS does not currently offer AFM , but.... could it be developed fairly easily and in time for production?

2. Lutz noted the V6 model didn't weigh too much, but does anyone think weight would be an issue as far as AFM on the V6 is concerned? I don't see how it could be, especially if GM is considering a 4 cyl turbo to handle the load.

3. What kind of fuel economy would V6 Camaro w/AFM get??? And how many cylinders would it deactivate (2 or 3??)

Lets think about this.....V6 Camaro would have 300+hp and get better MPG than Mustang (probably 30+mpg on the highway)....."Premium pricing" wouldn't be an issue if buyers could actually save considerable $$$$$ in the long run because of superior fuel economy. Add the "flexfuel" option and now Camaro is really in a league of its own (Probably getting a lil carried away here.....). I'm sure GM has considered all this, I just haven't heard anything about it, which I think is very surpising considering most of Camaro's sales will be the V6 models. I'm really seeing alot of potential here......your thoughts?????
Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 PM

I think I read on some press release the V6 WAS going to be offered with AFM. I believe it deactivates 3 cyl.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Here's an ender....

FBodfather told me AFM doesn't work w/ MT's.

That's not so say that it couldn't at some point I suppose, just not so far.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

What I want to know is why AFM doesn't work with a manual transmission. My only thought is that too much NVH gets transmitted into the chassis (via the tranny mount), but I can't really figure out how that same NVH wouldn't be transmitted through the engine mounts and into the chassis.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 AM

Simple solution?
Put a manual lockout switch to turn "off" AFM when desired, and "On" when in cruise mode.
Like the Traction Control..."TCS" switch.
And like TCS, use ABS wheel sensor feedback combined with TPS or MAP etc. to "AND" switch it.

Last edited by 90rocz; 03-23-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 PM

I was under the impression that cylinder deactivation just doesn't DO much for manual transmissions, so they can save money by not putting it on the manual versions. With a manual transmission, you just put it in a high gear and give it more gas to get up to speed, which is far more fuel efficient (an engine is more fuel efficient at full throttle than part throttle...with full throttle and low RPM's, the amount of acceleration you get for the amount of fuel you spend is maximized)

With an automatic transmission, drivers generally don't have a clue what's going on with the drive train, and AFM works well in that situation because automatic cars are run at partial throttle under acceleration more often than manual cars (I know when I'm just diddling around town I shift as early as I can without lugging and then just floor it up to the next gear...till im going 30 and then it goes into 5th...and I exceed the EPA mileage ratings doing this.....)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the fuel economy improvement with AFM on a manual transmission was negligible. Makes sense that companies would put the simpler version of the engine in manual cars.....and I don't think it's got anything to do with being "too hard" for the ECU. That doesn't make sense....it'd be EASIER with a manual transmission, you wouldn't have to coordinate with the electronically controlled transmission....just the throttle.

Last edited by boxerperson; 03-23-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:10 PM

Seems like they'd make it so that it would come on at least during use of cruise control and just promote that the use of cruise control will increase gas mileage more than typical.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by boxerperson
I was under the impression that cylinder deactivation just doesn't DO much for manual transmissions, so they can save money by not putting it on the manual versions. With a manual transmission, you just put it in a high gear and give it more gas to get up to speed, which is far more fuel efficient (an engine is more fuel efficient at full throttle than part throttle...with full throttle and low RPM's, the amount of acceleration you get for the amount of fuel you spend is maximized)

With an automatic transmission, drivers generally don't have a clue what's going on with the drive train, and AFM works well in that situation because automatic cars are run at partial throttle under acceleration more often than manual cars (I know when I'm just diddling around town I shift as early as I can without lugging and then just floor it up to the next gear...till im going 30 and then it goes into 5th...and I exceed the EPA mileage ratings doing this.....)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the fuel economy improvement with AFM on a manual transmission was negligible. Makes sense that companies would put the simpler version of the engine in manual cars.....and I don't think it's got anything to do with being "too hard" for the ECU. That doesn't make sense....it'd be EASIER with a manual transmission, you wouldn't have to coordinate with the electronically controlled transmission....just the throttle.
your really rough on your engine. you do know your putting much MUCH more load (wear) on the car than you have to. its creating MUCH more heat. and im sure your clutch hates you too.

Last edited by TrickStang37; 03-23-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM

My next question is do any of GM's competitors offer AFM on their manual transmissioned cars?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
My next question is do any of GM's competitors offer AFM on their manual transmissioned cars?
Remember, AFM is GM's marketing term. The generic term is cylinder deactivation.

We've already discussed a couple of other cars in which cylinder deactivation is available on the automatic version, but not on the manual.

AFAIK, there is no car currently in production that has both cylinder deactivation and a manual transmission.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
your really rough on your engine. you do know your putting much MUCH more load (wear) on the car than you have to. its creating MUCH more heat. and im sure your clutch hates you too.
Erm...no. I'm not lugging it at all (I know what that feels like), and have never had trouble with a clutch. I match revs and use very little clutch....I'm gentle with the car. I've never actually had ANY mechanical trouble with a car that hadn't been beat to **** by the previous owner.

And how exactly am I generating more heat? I'm using LESS gas. As far as I'm aware, the heat buildup in an engine comes from the ignition of fuel.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM

It wouldnt be hard at all to incorporate AFM with an manual trans. Its all in the software, based on RPM and VSS signals, the PCM would know what gear the trans is in. I think there is more to AFM than just shutting off cylinders to conserve fuel however. Theres gotta be some auto trans tweaking on the computer side on the way it shifts/TCC lock up, etc.
Shutting off cylinders as an only way to conserve fuel would yield very miniscule results unless the driver knew exactly how much gas to give the engine at certain loads, when to shift, what gear to shift to and so on.
Im sure it could be achieved, but its more than the average driver is willing to do. Most people just get in their car and they are lucky if they glance at the fuel gauge once in a great while.
I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a base V8 car with the L76 and the 6 speed auto with AFM as the only trans offered.
And the LS3 with both transmissions offered.