2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Dealer wants completely satisfied for warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Dealer wants completely satisfied for warranty work

I'm writing this to ask for advice on this.

The service manager at my dealership wants me to mark "completely satisfied" for warranty work. I was going to do it, but I'm having second thoughts and want to know others thoughts.

The issue was my onstar green LED light went red in the mirror and was like this for about 3 - 4 days. I call up onstar and ask them. Diagnostics are fine but Onstar suggests taking it to the dealer.

I took it to the dealer May 29th, waited about 2 hours, the couldn't find anything wrong, but decided to replace the module. So they call me up about 3 weeks later.

I take the car in on June 22nd. Get the part swapped out, and I'm good to go.

I noticed I had to re-pair my bluetooth with the car, and store my numbers again. Ok no problem, as a PC technician I understand why on this.

Later after leaving work, I open my glove box, and the darn thing slams open.

I check the next day and notice that there is a string attached on the right side. A simple fix for me, so I just slip it in.

The service manager called me on Thursday leaving a voice mail to ensure I'm completely satisfied. I told him I would mark it that way but I wanted him to be aware that the string wasn't hooked back up, and also the last time I had my oil changed whoever did that didn't reset the oil life monitor and I did that on my own.

He said he would communicate the issue and apologised for the problems.

Right after I got the email, I decided to actually press the onstar button. Well it seems the "program to vehicle" that was written on my receipt unless I was told I needed to call onstar again after this (I don't remember that), was false.

I had to give onstar my address, vin and wait 5 minutes or so for it to be programmed to the car.

I emailed the service rep and told him that I don't remember anyone telling me I needed to contact onstar after this procedure, and that I don't think I can mark the issue completely satisfied as this "program to vehicle" as it states on the receipt is a lie.

Am I being too harsh? Is there someone who can lookup any TSB to see if perhaps that is standard procedure of having the user contact onstar again?

I'd give them completely satisfied with replacing the onstar part if that is the case as the hookup of the string wasn't a big deal.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Re: Dealer wants completely satisfied for warranty work

Originally Posted by skuttduck
I'm writing this to ask for advice on this.

The service manager at my dealership wants me to mark "completely satisfied" for warranty work. I was going to do it, but I'm having second thoughts and want to know others thoughts.

The issue was my onstar green LED light went red in the mirror and was like this for about 3 - 4 days. I call up onstar and ask them. Diagnostics are fine but Onstar suggests taking it to the dealer.

I took it to the dealer May 29th, waited about 2 hours, the couldn't find anything wrong, but decided to replace the module. So they call me up about 3 weeks later.

I take the car in on June 22nd. Get the part swapped out, and I'm good to go.

I noticed I had to re-pair my bluetooth with the car, and store my numbers again. Ok no problem, as a PC technician I understand why on this.

Later after leaving work, I open my glove box, and the darn thing slams open.

I check the next day and notice that there is a string attached on the right side. A simple fix for me, so I just slip it in.

The service manager called me on Thursday leaving a voice mail to ensure I'm completely satisfied. I told him I would mark it that way but I wanted him to be aware that the string wasn't hooked back up, and also the last time I had my oil changed whoever did that didn't reset the oil life monitor and I did that on my own.

He said he would communicate the issue and apologised for the problems.

Right after I got the email, I decided to actually press the onstar button. Well it seems the "program to vehicle" that was written on my receipt unless I was told I needed to call onstar again after this (I don't remember that), was false.

I had to give onstar my address, vin and wait 5 minutes or so for it to be programmed to the car.

I emailed the service rep and told him that I don't remember anyone telling me I needed to contact onstar after this procedure, and that I don't think I can mark the issue completely satisfied as this "program to vehicle" as it states on the receipt is a lie.

Am I being too harsh? Is there someone who can lookup any TSB to see if perhaps that is standard procedure of having the user contact onstar again?

I'd give them completely satisfied with replacing the onstar part if that is the case as the hookup of the string wasn't a big deal.
If you can't give them a completely satisfied, go to the GM and tell him "because of _____________, I cannot give you a completely satisfied at this time. If you did _____________________ to correct it, I would be more than happy to"

Most will do what it takes to make you happy... they have money on the line from GM
Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 PM

I've found that dealers need to get "5 stars" or completely satisfied or else they get in trouble. I was shocked to find the pressure a lot of lower level dealer employees are in. Pretty much if they don't get perfect it's bad. Which sort of defeats the purpose IMO of the review.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Sounds like whoever did the work just rushed through and wasn't very thorough. While it would be good for the dealer to know about the work habits of this particular technician, it does sound like the dealer did everything they could to ensure that you were satisfied, including a follow-up call. I would tell GM that you were happy with the service, but let the dealer know they might want to watch that particular technician closely to make sure they are doing all the work they are supposed to.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
If you can't give them a completely satisfied, go to the GM and tell him "because of _____________, I cannot give you a completely satisfied at this time. If you did _____________________ to correct it, I would be more than happy to"

Most will do what it takes to make you happy... they have money on the line from GM
I'd like for them to still get paid, I'm not sure what they can do for me now. I felt like I had to finish the job they started.

I was going to mark them completely satisfied if it was just the string on the glovebox, by letting the service rep know.

This is like the 3rd failure by this dealership.

First failure: Trying to get a response out of my sales rep after buying the camaro in terms of the Corsa exhaust. I waited over a month. Why have an email address for your business if you aren't going to use it?

Second failure: 3rd Oil Change. Techs forgot to reset the oil life meter. I noticed this upon leaving. Changed it, sent an email to the dealership. Got a response like I was trying to buy a car.

Third failure: The onstar module replacement. Glovebox string not hooked back up. Onstar not notified of module change. I drove around for a week thinking I had onstar, when I really didn't.

Misc other issues: They mounted a set of tires for free for me when I got a set of stock rims. BONUS points on them there.

If you think I'm being petty let me know. I guess technically they did what was required, but I'm not completely satisfied. *IF* I was told after we replace the module be sure to contact onstar.

If someone can show me a GM document that states "customer will need to contact onstar" I will mark it completely satisfied.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator

As I said in the Podcast, if you aren't completely satisfied, don't mark it that way. I think it's **** poor work that you have to finish THEIR job - not to mention fix their screwup with your glovebox. Go in and have a face to face meeting with your service advisor. If the service department would spend half as much time making sure the job is done completely and correctly as they put into making sure their surveys are filled out "Completely Satisfied", then they wouldn't have to worry. Just my humble opinion.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM

You're not being petty. However I have heard the same "story" of anything less than completely satisfied is a black mark. But, what does that mean? Its not like the technician is on a commission and will get his pay docked. The service manager might be, but if they're not double checking their work, then they should be penalized.

Having worked in the industry (20+ years ago), I would want to know if a customer was unhappy, and I would do anything within my power to make sure the problem was corrected and didn't happen again.

FWIW, you shouldn't compare issues between the sales department and the service department. Even though its the same dealership, most operate as if they were independent organizations. I know it sounds odd, but I've found it not uncommon for one side of the house to be completely competent, while the other is run by a bunch of clowns. Case in point, my local Ford dealer. Sales department is competent, although a bit arrogant; while the service department could care less if you bring in your car for service or take it elsewhere. (Which is the primary reason I will never buy a new Ford.)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
You're not being petty. However I have heard the same "story" of anything less than completely satisfied is a black mark. But, what does that mean? Its not like the technician is on a commission and will get his pay docked. The service manager might be, but if they're not double checking their work, then they should be penalized.

Having worked in the industry (20+ years ago), I would want to know if a customer was unhappy, and I would do anything within my power to make sure the problem was corrected and didn't happen again.

FWIW, you shouldn't compare issues between the sales department and the service department. Even though its the same dealership, most operate as if they were independent organizations. I know it sounds odd, but I've found it not uncommon for one side of the house to be completely competent, while the other is run by a bunch of clowns. Case in point, my local Ford dealer. Sales department is competent, although a bit arrogant; while the service department could care less if you bring in your car for service or take it elsewhere. (Which is the primary reason I will never buy a new Ford.)
I guess I shouldn't feel bad for them, I'm still hoping this is just another fluke of the dealership, but I'm starting to wonder. I've overlooked other issues they have had, and now I'm starting to nitpick everything about this whole situation.

I've also had a couple of GM phone calls that I'm either out, or the last time the phone went dead. I'm thinking this is that survey, as I haven't gotten anything in the mail aside from a piece of paper highlighting make sure you are completely satisfied.

Here are another couple failures I just recalled about the same incident. I call up the service rep, he says they can do the module replacement today. I told him, well I'm out of personal hours, can I bring it down around lunch. He said ok, and I told him I would be in at 11:00. Brought it in and waited for about 10 minutes while his colleagues paged him.

When I got the car, his colleague brought me the keys and said he's out to lunch and he will mail you the paperwork.

So yes in my mind they did what was on paper (I'm still not sure about 'program to vehicle' as the Service rep said they did that as it had to be programmed to my radio). They want a 100% rating for 80% work.

I'm hoping to talk to GM on the phone let them know about this issue, plus the last oil change.

Going and meeting with the dealership in person is a bit out of my way.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I'll chime in on this being a 20 year and now 'retired' GM master tech. Sadly I will have to agree if you aren't actually 100% happy don't mark it at a so. I got out in late 2009 after the GM bankruptcy due to massive policy changes within GM and the dealerships. Before the bailout, we had many more good techs to work on the cars then there are now. I always took my time to do it right even though I was usually scraping by to make ends meet being on full commission. After the bailout things changed drastically, techs times were cut for warranty repairs, we were expected to more work for far less or even no pay. So a lot of the seasoned techs with a sense of 'doing it right the first time' lost there *** big time and could no longer make a living. Only mostly hacks or parts hangers hung on because of the lack of scruples, although there are the usual exceptions.
Basically what I am saying is bean counters and head hunters took over GM and the formerly good people in the trenches got ran off for the most part and now dealers are staffing their service dept with more warm bodies that are paid $9.00/hour. I'd say for every 2 good techs there are 10 hacks behind them. It really sucks to be a customer in this enviornment but GM and the dealers are getting what they are paying for. The problem is rampant across the country and not only in certain areas and the only way to change it back is to force GM to see their mistake and change it back with a bunch of pissed of customers.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM

I finally got the survey and I answered it honestly.

I put in the comments of why, and that I felt pursued to answer it completely satisfied when the job wasn't completed.

I was going to give them completely satisfied as they went beyond to replace the module. I was going to give them that with the string on the glovebox was a simple fix, but the fact I was kept waiting, the service rep was on lunch, my only call was to ensure I was completely satisfied, and I didn't have onstar for a week because they didn't complete the job is asking for 100% credit for 80% work.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM

I think you've got too much free time & an idle mind to think about something this petty so much. if you want to protest something go protest government stealing everyones money and chasing all the productive jobs out of the country.

Last edited by Evolution223; 08-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.