2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

5.3 V8 DI 400HP as the BASE V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Which would be ideal for a functional cowl induction hood
You're on to something there.

Wouldn't the transmission mounts be different too?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:20 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
The LS4 has the horsepower, but does it have the torque to move a Camaro?

You're looking at ~1000 pounds difference.
1000 pounds difference from the Impala SS?

Other forms of the 5.3L are in trucks and they have plenty of torque. The one in my truck didn't have a problem towing my 96 Impala SS. Add direct injection (and maybe increase the compression ratio) and a 6 speed auto and you won't have to worry about low end.

I've been hoping that GM would release new engines in the Camaro. I made a thread about that a long time ago...
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 AM
West South Central Moderator

and I'm pretty sure that the intake manifold on an LSx will fit no matter which way the TB is facing.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I've been hoping that GM would release new engines in the Camaro. I made a thread about that a long time ago...
Thats what Ive been hoping for as well, after all, it is a whole new car.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 AM

I would almost bet a years salary the only V8's you see are a base with a LS3 @ 402 hp and the LS8 for the top model .
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I would almost bet a years salary the only V8's you see are a base with a LS3 @ 402 hp and the LS8 for the top model .

Id be very happy with that.
That being said, I hope there is alot more they are not telling us.
In that thread where those mules were spotted in the hotel parking lot, there was a Lumina with the Camaro drivetrain. It had all that equipment on the hood that supposedly monitored individual cylinder activity. At least thats what they told the guy that took the pics.
If they were just throwing an LS3 in there, you wouldnt think they would need to get that in depth in the development right? Or maybe thats what they always do, I have no idea, just some wishful thinking I guess.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I'd take that bet, what a years salary for you?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
you have zero credible sources.
Really?

Have any of the credible sources on this site ever mentioned a Gen V 5.3L DI V8 as a possibility for the Camaro? No. Have they even hinted at it? No.

And as for the turbo 2.0L going into the Camaro, I direct you here:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...54#post5257154

That's a credible source if I ever saw one.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM

The Gen V engines are going to be introduced on the C7.

The Camaro will receive the Gen V engines after the C7.

We think the LS9 technology is incredible, just wait for the Gen V C7.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah the Gen V has technology they got from the Roswell spaceship.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by texas94z
The Gen V engines are going to be introduced on the C7.

The Camaro will receive the Gen V engines after the C7.

We think the LS9 technology is incredible, just wait for the Gen V C7.
Yeah, the Gen V and C7 should be out about the same time. If the C7 gets delayed, the Gen V is still coming. I'm not sure if all smallblocks will switch over all at once, or if they'll roll it out over a period of time.

Anyways, by '11 they'll be in trucks.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM

IMO, the more GM can do to come out with as many new components on this car the better. I think a potential buyer would find a vehicle with fresh/new engines and chassis more appealing than a recycled car (i.e. Challenger.) If they can introduce at least an LS3 as a base V8, I think that would be great. It sounds like a D.I. V8 isn't going to be ready for a couple more years, so the "fresher" the introductory car is, the better.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
1000 pounds difference from the Impala SS?

Other forms of the 5.3L are in trucks and they have plenty of torque. The one in my truck didn't have a problem towing my 96 Impala SS. Add direct injection (and maybe increase the compression ratio) and a 6 speed auto and you won't have to worry about low end.
Sorry- I screwed that post up badly. I was thinking about the turbo 4 in the Cobalt and comparing Cobalt SS curb weight to the (assumed) Camaro.

I was trying to say that I'm not sure the LNF turbo 4 has the torque necessary to move a Camaro and still retain the desired economy.

Talking about the V8 in the Impala, I can't believe there's any point in taking a set up specifically engineered for cetain FWD applications and re-engineering it for RWD use, particularly when there are RWD V8's that already meet the required parameters without re-design.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
Sorry- I screwed that post up badly. I was thinking about the turbo 4 in the Cobalt and comparing Cobalt SS curb weight to the (assumed) Camaro.

I was trying to say that I'm not sure the LNF turbo 4 has the torque necessary to move a Camaro and still retain the desired economy.

Talking about the V8 in the Impala, I can't believe there's any point in taking a set up specifically engineered for cetain FWD applications and re-engineering it for RWD use, particularly when there are RWD V8's that already meet the required parameters without re-design.
The LLT has 270 ft/lbs and the LNF has 260 ft/lbs with a much flatter curve.

And can't you get a 5.3 in the (RWD) Silverado? I don't know why GM couldn't build a 5.3 for the Camaro from stuff thats already in the parts bin.

But I don't think GM can build a gen IV 5.3 that is materially better than the DI 3.6 without adding either forced induction or DI & real VVT.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM

The LLT has 270 ft/lbs and the LNF has 260 ft/lbs with a much flatter curve.
I have trouble believing a turbo four has a flatter torque curve than a N/A 6, but I'm wrong about a lot of things so I'm ready to be wrong about that too.
And can't you get a 5.3 in the (RWD) Silverado? I don't know why GM couldn't build a 5.3 for the Camaro from stuff thats already in the parts bin.
Yeah, which is why asking for the FWD engineered block from the Impala et al. doesn't make sense, IMO.
But I don't think GM can build a gen IV 5.3 that is materially better than the DI 3.6 without adding either forced induction or DI & real VVT.
And that's why, IMO, having a 5.3 doesn't make sense.

I used to think it did, but with a 300 horse V6 laying around I can't see a business case for that, a mid 300 5.3, and a 400 horse 6.something V8.

The only thing that really makes sense from a cost and regulation perspective is some variation of the DI V6 and some variation of the LS3.

But again, I'm very ready to be wrong about both of those.

Quick Reply: 5.3 V8 DI 400HP as the BASE V8