2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Take Your 5th Gen With A Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Demosthenes
Diesel engines are ill equipped to deal with performance tech. From my little knowledge on the subject, Diesels are all low rpms, creating alot of torque, perfect for trucks and semis, but are slow to accelerate, have to be warmed in the winter, and diesel is more expensive. In trucks, diesels generally get more mileage, because of the low rpms required to pull a load. but cars are a bad Idea. I know it's been done, but never a performance car. . .

Ill equipped to deal with performance tech NOT Do some research on the current DuraMax Diesels. I added a custom tuned ecm from John Kennedy, one of the premier DuraMax tuners in the country, to my '01 DuraMAx and man what a difference. The performance increase per dollar is a far better value on a diesel. As for being slow, I can burn the tires with little effort, grab second gear and burn some more!!!

I've driven my share of modified Camaros and am still very fond of gasoline powerplants, but do a little reading on the web at the dieselplace.com and you might have a new found respect for diesels!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM

I posted this on my site. I thought it might be thought provoking here.

I've been fascinated lately, by all the modding action going on with turbo diesels. There are a bunch of companies out there, that are currently offering SUBSTANTIAL performance upgrades for your turbo diesel truck or RV. Did I bold type substantial? Some of the torque figures are just ridiculously sick.

My brother in law, in fact, just recently bought a new Ford, extended cab, F-250, pickup. Kind of a plain Jane work truck, he also made sure to get the 6.0L Power Stroke turbo diesel though. With a stock 325 hp and 570 lbs-ft of torque - it's no slouch as is.

But add the Gale Banks Six-Gun Bundle - which includes electronic tuner, free flow intake and 4" exhaust - and you get an additional 138 hp and 231 lbs-ft. That's at the rear wheels, by the way.

Set the Six Gun tuner on "6", (the highest performance level), and stomp on the throttle at 40 mph, and you are immediately shoved back into your seat (HARD), as you watch the speedo needle go past 80. At speed the acceleration feels absolutely limitless. The only thing holding you back, is the fact that you realize you're driving a big honkin' work truck - with it's associated chassis dynamics.

Do a slight brake torque off the line and you can literally smoke the tires indefinitely, fishtailing as you go. Just awesome torque, what an impressive package.

All I kept thinking though, is this: Can you imagine this powertrain in a regular cab F150, equipped with all the SVT Lightning chassis pieces? Has the time come for a factory diesel hot rod?

Last edited by Z284ever; 05-14-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
well my main concern with a diesel is performance. we are talking about a musclecar not a lil econo box. The reason why we dont have diesels like that in America is that they dont pass emissions and their isnt really a market for them. no diesel will ever be the same as small block v8.
This is where research comes in.

The new diesel formulations lower emissions, particularly particulate and sulfur emissions, so that's not an issue.

There's no market? So, you aren't interested in a factory 350 horsepower? 500 lbs/ft doesn't grab your interest? 30% better mileage with the same ET isn't intriguing?

Oh, I know. They're loud. Did you know that there is no significant difference between the gas and diesel engines in most european cars when it comes to cabin noise?

The exhaust note is different. You got me there. It is different from an LS1, that's true.

God I hope they put a carbed 327 and a powerglide in it.

That's really what a Camaro should come with.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:08 PM

alright you win

you can take your camaro with a diesel but i NEVER will.
To each his own i guess...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM

I would definitely consider it. I drive a TDI Jetta daily getting 40 mpg (and i currently pay $0.20 / gallon LESS than gas). Because of the torque you would never know it puts out 110 hp. Modern diesel engines are not the clattering, smoking beasts of the past. I can not get the Jetta to blow black smoke (I have tried).

If the option ever became available, drive one before you ruled it out.

BTW Lamborghini (which is owned by Volkswagen) has supposedly played with diesels in the Gallardo.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I posted this on my site. I thought it might be thought provoking here.
A friend of mine has a similar truck, I was impressed.
Plus they have that sweet turbo sound.

I would definitely consider a turbo diesel camaro, 12/13s in the 1/4mile and 40+mpg. Yea, I'm sold.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM

I'd just like to say I am glad to see a great discussion regarding a diesel Camaro OPTION on the 5th gen car.

Great to see I am not burned at the stake...at least not yet.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2K1SunsetSS
A friend of mine has a similar truck, I was impressed.
Plus they have that sweet turbo sound.

I would definitely consider a turbo diesel camaro, 12/13s in the 1/4mile and 40+mpg. Yea, I'm sold.
Yeah, it's truly amazing. It's one thing to read about them, it's another to actually feel how it pushes you into your seat when you floor the gas...umm, er...accelerator pedal. BTW, my brother in law just got the Gale Banks intercooler to replace the factory one for his truck. Add another 30 or so hp and I don't know how much more torque.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DmaxCC6spd
Ill equipped to deal with performance tech NOT Do some research on the current DuraMax Diesels. I added a custom tuned ecm from John Kennedy, one of the premier DuraMax tuners in the country, to my '01 DuraMAx and man what a difference. The performance increase per dollar is a far better value on a diesel. As for being slow, I can burn the tires with little effort, grab second gear and burn some more!!!

I've driven my share of modified Camaros and am still very fond of gasoline powerplants, but do a little reading on the web at the dieselplace.com and you might have a new found respect for diesels!!!!
I can make a 4cyl burn through 1st and grab second still spinning as well. what are the 1/4 times from your new setup? Saying you got a big difference doesnt really mean anything if you start from a slouch. For give me if I am sounding a bit harsh, I am not trying to. anyhow, I don't want my Camaro sounding like a Peterbilt. Gasoline for me please.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mjolnir

There's no market? So, you aren't interested in a factory 350 horsepower? 500 lbs/ft doesn't grab your interest? 30% better mileage with the same ET isn't intriguing?
actually no. stats aren't good enough. think about a few years from now. remember when the lt1 first came out? the 275 advertised hp was a lot compared to most cars in 1993. fast forward only few years and 275 can be had in a lot of flavors (not to mention by today's standards, only 275?!?!?!?). sorry, the camaro needs to put out more hp than a stock ls1. i realize that torque would be more, but still....My new camaro better have quicker 1/4 times than a 10 year old LS1