2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the new Camaro have a nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Where did we have this conversation before?

Originally Posted by sselie
I'd think twice about spending $2K on a factory nav system
$2k may be a little high, but it is expensive.

Lets dig a little deeper into the cost of ownership of a built in unit. IIRC, you get two annual updates free. After that, it's $200 to get a DVD to update the maps from GM. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for updated maps!!!!!

http://www.gmnavdisc.com

The real question is how will Nav be bundled? My guess is it wont be standalone. You want that "LT3" type package with all the bells and whistles, you're foking over the dough for Nav too.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 PM

I could see myself clicking a Nav option , but more for the other features rather than the nav itself . I would be all over a system like the current hardrives with Tivo type features , ipod integretion with full screen display and bluetooth . If I had to have a nav to get all that , I would .

Gotta say though , it would be much sweeter if all the Audiophile stuff and bluetooth was available without navagation . Just have a nice larger LCD full color display like in the Pontiac G8 .
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM

I have a nav system in every vehicle I own. Do I use them for directions?? Almost never.

That being said....the screen makes everything easier to deal with..especially XM and iPods...so it is much more than directions. I have a Pioneer Avic D3..and that thing can do so many things it is mind numbing..from blue tooth for the phone to XM Navtraffic. You can even use it to watch movies off your iPod (in park of course)

I still remember my Grand Prix that showed directions in the HUD...now that is cool.

GM will offer a dirt cheap Camaro to be competitive...but in reality, they want people to load their Camaro's up..and pay for premium options and packages. I would see the NAV system as being a part of that.

Last edited by formula79; 01-15-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 AM

I've gotta have NAV, even if I have to buy a portable unit. And the ones I'm seeing here are $199-$249 for 3.5", and $229-$499 for decent 4.3" screens.
I rode in my BF's car recently, who bought a Pioneer, motorized flip screen, 7" display. I got to say the touch screen NAV with voice, turn by turn was great, even gave alternate routes if needed.
Lifes too short and gas too expensive, to drive around asking for directions everywhere...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
I'm not following this premise, that it's going to need one 'to be taken seriously'. We're not talking about a CTS here. It's a value-oriented sporty coupe. Since when is nav a natural part of that? I for one hope it's not even an option. It would seem very out of place on this car IMHO. Besides, I thought I read speculation somewhere that turn-by-turn nav might be built into the car's stereo.
I completely agree its not needed to be taken seriously.

Its not a Caddy or a BMW sport coupe, Its a Chevy Muscle car.
Not to say it wont be worth adding as an option just not 100% essential to the option list.

Hold the nav please and give me a side order of map.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Sure sounds like some old codgers around here. "I don't want no new technology!" "I fear change!". "I don't need no more buttons." Jason said it best.
If you use a cel, net, DVR, then take the next step. NAV is yet another gadget that is both fun and useful. And way up there on the neat list. Once you use it it will become just another part of your life that you wondered how you lived without it. Reminds me of my father-inlaw. He had DIAL UP until about a month ago. "I don't need all that speed, for what I do on the internet, my dial up is fine." Well he finally folded under my pressure and got Comcast high speed. It took him two weeks to admit that "how the hell did I live with out this for so long?"
Do you NEED Nav? Probably not. Once you have it and use it do you WANT it? Absolutely.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
Do you NEED Nav? Probably not. Once you have it and use it do you WANT it? Absolutely.
As a technocrat and gadget freak, I can see this. My ipod, my pda, my cell phone are all examples of things that I don't need but absolutely want. I don't put NAV in that same category. If I'm taking long trips, or a lot of driving where I NEED directions, fine. At this point in my life, I'm NOT. I don't stop for directions, I don't need directions - for where I drive and what I do I would rather have real-time ACCURATE traffic info. If I wanted NAV (and they are very cool) I'll buy a portable, because that way I can take any car I want and still have it.......it's not a matter of staying away from new technology, it's about what fits a person's lifestyle and what they're willing to pay for.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Sure sounds like some old codgers around here. "I don't want no new technology!" "I fear change!". "I don't need no more buttons." Jason said it best.
If you use a cel, net, DVR, then take the next step. NAV is yet another gadget that is both fun and useful. And way up there on the neat list. Once you use it it will become just another part of your life that you wondered how you lived without it. Reminds me of my father-inlaw. He had DIAL UP until about a month ago. "I don't need all that speed, for what I do on the internet, my dial up is fine." Well he finally folded under my pressure and got Comcast high speed. It took him two weeks to admit that "how the hell did I live with out this for so long?"
I am stil in my 20's no codger here.

Make no mistake, I would take it if its free but its not something Id pay for. Its not really needed. You cant realy compare it to internet. You use the internet every single day of your life. Navigation would rarely be used.

It is neat though.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Bear in mind that the screen is not just used for navigation. It is a sound system interface and for all we know, it may tie in to vehicle information, etc. Just playing devil's advocate on this one.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM

You might be right (I'm 48 ). I'm speaking from a little older perspective I suppose. I do agree, the comparison to internet wideband holds some water. I used to think wideband was a 'luxury'... but now there's no way I'd want to go back to dialup.

Makes sense for the Camaro to have nav as an OEM option. I'm still not convinced I'd order it in mine (I do intend to order my Camaro), but who knows. Yet another one of those things it might be wise to 'wait and see' on before deciding.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 AM

Age is no issue as I have wideband and all the toys. I have over 2000 songs in my MP3 and plan on adding as micro card for 4 GB more.

The issue here is the fact 75% of my driving is my 15 mile trip to work and back. I know how long it take I even know how long the stop lights are after driving it for 14 years. I don't have any use for this in my daily trips.

As for my road trips If it is some where hace not been before I have flown there and my car is at home. I can tell you Detroit is 3 hours from home. I can tell you where I get gas on my trips there.

I can tell you The Ohio River is 2 hours from home and I get Gas at the Upper Salem Exit before the next two hours to Charleston.

I know Charlotte is 5 and a half hours from home and you get gas in Mount Airy Before hitting town.

The fact is I would gain noithing here as I have driven all these roads enough to know where I am and how long to get there. I just would like the money on something I would not need or use to go to another option.

Now once they intergrate the web into the car it opens more doors later but now this has no use for me.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Age is no issue as I have wideband and all the toys. I have over 2000 songs in my MP3 and plan on adding as micro card for 4 GB more.

The issue here is the fact 75% of my driving is my 15 mile trip to work and back. I know how long it take I even know how long the stop lights are after driving it for 14 years. I don't have any use for this in my daily trips.

As for my road trips If it is some where hace not been before I have flown there and my car is at home. I can tell you Detroit is 3 hours from home. I can tell you where I get gas on my trips there.

I can tell you The Ohio River is 2 hours from home and I get Gas at the Upper Salem Exit before the next two hours to Charleston.

I know Charlotte is 5 and a half hours from home and you get gas in Mount Airy Before hitting town.

The fact is I would gain noithing here as I have driven all these roads enough to know where I am and how long to get there. I just would like the money on something I would not need or use to go to another option.

Now once they intergrate the web into the car it opens more doors later but now this has no use for me.
Do you ever go anywhere you have never been before?

Plus like Jason said, it's more than just a map on a screen. Many of them have bluetooth capability, many radio functions you can't get on a standard radio, vehicle info screen as well as a DVD player. No I wouldn't be watching TV on it, BUT 1 DVD holds close to 5 gigs of music. Couple that with the upgraded 6 disc option, you would then be capable of storing 30 gigs of music right there in your dash. The unit could also include certain voice features much like the ones Ford and Honda use right now.

So yeah, the option says Nav, but it could possibly be a whole lot more.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 AM

I think this thread needs a Nav because it has gotten lost.

Let's just all agree that Nav SHOULD be an option so that those of us that want it can have it, and those that think they don't need it don't have to pay for it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM

I wouldn't mind it being an option. Sure, my use would be much more limited because I've lived in Prince George, BC my entire life and I know it like the back of my hand. However, it would be useful because there's plenty of times when someone gives me directions to an area such as "Fern St." I may have a general idea where that is, but I could be mixed up entirely. And if I take my annual trip to Vancouver, it would be a godsend because I have absolutely no idea where anything in that city is.

So long as it's an actual screen integrated into the dash, I'd be likely to order it, especially if it can be integrated with my iPod, and not via an FM adapter.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

I guess it depends on where you live as to how much you use it. But where I'm at, I frequently travel to locations in Cinncinnati, Columbus, Dayton or like this weekend, the Detroit Auto Show.
I'm not an expert on it but,..
If you have an address of a hotel, store or Dr.'s office, you can just input it and it'll lay out a route, and maybe that route is easier or quicker than the one you've been driving for years..
If you are talking or daydreaming, it'll remind you of a coming turn, or that you missed a turn depending. And how to get back on track.

When I get a new Camaro, I'd like to be able to lay out routes to some car shows and events, to and from...

Do you NEED it, well, do you NEED a cell phone??
(or insert some other modern convenience)