2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Will the new Camaro have a nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM

I hope they offer it as an option. If they do I will get it. If not I will just get a Garmin or something. I would also like XM and Onstar as options but who knows.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Lets get real here, if Camaro is to succeed it needs to have options that will bring in non-Camaro enthusiasts to buy the car. Nav is one thing that needs to be an option on all trim levels. I would like to see a pop-up screen like on the CTS, but I don't see that happening with the current interior design.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM

I really want NAV on my Camaro. All those that say they would never use it would be surprised how often it comes in handy. My wife and I got a Garmin for Christmas and figured we would only use it occasionally, but we take it with us every time we go out. I would really prefer a built in one, so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting it at home, and taking it down off the window every time I park the car so it won't get stolen.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM

I would like NAV as well.

If it's not an option, the spy shots of the interior suggest that it would be difficult to install due to the odd configuration.

It's possible that the lack of perfection is intentional. Leaving room for future improvements...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
Navigation is available from the factory in the following cars:

Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Honda Civic

And a few others I'm forgetting..... my point is there are quite a few cars now that aren't anywhere near premium automobiles that offer navigation, and at least one that I know of at a price point under $20k. GM must start offering this feature in pretty much every one of the cars they make. It doesn't have to be standard, nor should it. But it must be an option. The competition is doing it, and right now it's the number one complaint and dissapointment I am hearing about the Malibu and Aura is that they do not offer it.

It is disingenuous to assume a Camaro customer would not be interested in navigation at all.
I suppose you have a point. Chevy needs to be forward-thinking, since the new Camaro will be around in its 2010 incarnation, for several years. And nav options are indeed appearing on more and more cars. (I did not know it can be had on a Civic ).

I will say this - IF the Camaro comes with a HUD option, and IF also a nav option, then there's also a chance it will have that cool ability to show dynamic route guidance in the HUD to guide you to destination - which is pretty cool IMHO.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I would like NAV as well.

If it's not an option, the spy shots of the interior suggest that it would be difficult to install due to the odd configuration.

It's possible that the lack of perfection is intentional. Leaving room for future improvements...
I guess it goes back to what FBF has been saying - that we should not read too much into those mule pix. So far we've only seen exterior pix of what is likely a V6 variant... the mule interior pix could be just about any variant or mixture of variants of the new Camaro. Maybe the 'upgraded' interior with nav has a different stack molding with a slot for the screen. We'll need to wait and see.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 AM

For all of you that don't like the idea of a Nav, let me tell you this. It's a toy, a very cool toy. Guys LIKE cool toys. Is not Best Buy your Mecca? I use the Nav all the time. Not because I don't know where I'm going. Just because it tracks your progress, tells you what street your on, tells you what street you are looking for, and how far away it is. It even counts down the miles and minutes to your destination. It's kind of like a celphone. Sure we lived without them for years and years, but try and get along without it now.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM

what i want most on the camaro in regards to audio would be

1. a link for my ipod
2. Mp3 support,either the cd player reads it or a connection for a flash drive
3.Bluetooth built into the raidio
4. HD radio along with XM
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Mustang has it
Yep, and so does every single 2 dr sports coupe from 20k to 100k.
Its gunna have it optional.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
For all of you that don't like the idea of a Nav, let me tell you this. It's a toy, a very cool toy. Guys LIKE cool toys. Is not Best Buy your Mecca? I use the Nav all the time. Not because I don't know where I'm going. Just because it tracks your progress, tells you what street your on, tells you what street you are looking for, and how far away it is. It even counts down the miles and minutes to your destination. It's kind of like a celphone. Sure we lived without them for years and years, but try and get along without it now.
I agree it should be included but only as an option as not everyone needs or wants one.

Road signs tell me where I am. I have driven all over Southern Cal and most of the rest of the States with no problem and no wrong turns. The GPS come in handy in my Buddies Cessna plane as there are few road signs in the sky and when you get out of Ohio the landmarkes become harder to ID.

I just enjoy driving and if I pay a large sum for electronics in a car I want it in a 40 GB dash mounted hard drive like Cadillac has.

I will never say not to offer the GPS just give me an option so I will not be paying for what I don't want.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM

I have a friend who has a Garmin. He pays more attention to it than the damn road. Scares the **** out of me.

I have no need for one, but I agree 100% that the camaro should have it.

What was the biggest complaint from Malibu reviewers... NO NAV SYSTEM. That's a huge compliment to GM when the only thing they could bitch about was lack of a nav system (BUT can't you call onstar and get step by step directions?) But why give reviewers something to whine about? It needs to be in the new 'bu ASAP. If the Camaro is to "win over" reviewers, not only does it need to be impressive inside and out, it needs to have all the new electronic crap people don't really need but think they do
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM

I hope it has nav as an option, just for people who want it. Myself, I'll stick with my Garmin.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by sselie
I'd think twice about spending $2K on a factory nav system, when it's been shown that vehicles equipped with the manufacturers' factory nav systems actually depreciate more quickly than vehicles without this feature.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ale-usat_N.htm
... and especially in light of how much the prices of portable units have dropped in the last 8 mos!! They're becoming almost disposable!
Now I'm somewhat biased, because I have 4 vehicles in the stable that are almost all used on a daily basis by family members and I [b]love[b] being able to take my Garmin Nuvi 660 from 1 vehicle to another - and it's a heckuva lot cheaper (and easier to update) than any factory unit I'm aware of!

I'd have to agree with that.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sselie
I'd think twice about spending $2K on a factory nav system,.....
... .........and especially in light of how much the prices of portable units have dropped in the last 8 mos!!
A good point but, why should it cost $2K for NAV now when $400.00 gets you a very good portable unit? I don't see it..
And if it's intergrated into a stereo unit, which becomes obsolete at about the rate, both could be upgraded at a dealership in 4years or so...
But I don't see'em doing it soon b/c they have the "OnStar turn by turn" they're trying to sell.
Just hope they don't let the imports jump way ahead on this one tho....
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
A good point but, why should it cost $2K for NAV now when $400.00 gets you a very good portable unit? I don't see it..
And if it's intergrated into a stereo unit, which becomes obsolete at about the rate, both could be upgraded at a dealership in 4years or so...
But I don't see'em doing it soon b/c they have the "OnStar turn by turn" they're trying to sell.
Just hope they don't let the imports jump way ahead on this one tho....
Yeah, but OnStar turn by turn takes the gadget factor out of it. I want to look at the screen and SEE what's going on. It's purely a toy thing for me. I've used it for a couple of road trips, but mostly to track progress on the map it shows and to see exactly how many miles/minutes I have left in my trip.

Quick Reply: Will the new Camaro have a nav system?