2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the new Camaro have a nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Future nav systems will be more involved and will be connected to the internet.

The little thing on your dash will go the way of the CB radio before long as that was only the first step.

The new systrems will tell you not only where the gas station is but how much the gas is and who is cheapest.

Also some parking lots will be set up to tell the NAV where the open spots are.

It will be soon enough [1-5 years] the one that comes with the car will far supass the dash units.

Funny how you hear some complain about invation of their personel info but they are more than happy to have a GPS pinpoint where they are and put all their info in a Face Book. Go figure?

One step forward two steps back.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I disagree with the notion that they should be standard in every car. Not everyone wants one and with navigation being available on cell phones, onStar, and in standalone devices I don't think the expense of integrating it into the car is worth it. If I want navigation, I'd rather get a garmin or other standalone - then it goes into any car.
i'm with you.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena
i'm with you.
I'm not...

Standalone devices, aka Garmins, TomTom's....are a pain in the butt. Cords, suction cups, and hard to use interfaces = BAD. Plus, they lend themselves easily to smash-n-grab thieves.

Believe it or not, there's lots of people out there who can't/won't read maps or understand street directions/divisions and addresses. Nav is one of those things that people buy because they don't think they need it--and in many cases don't, but often end up loving it.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 AM

Just make it optional, then those of us that really want it can have it and those that don't won't.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by christianjax
Just make it optional, then those of us that really want it can have it and those that don't won't.
I think that is very likely that it will be optional. In fact, I am banking on it. I don't know why people would think it would come standard and hike the price up when GM is not only well aware that it needs to be competitively affordable, but have stated it many times.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 AM

Now, I'm not exactly well versed in knowing what GM's nav systems look like. My experience is with ones that are in a standard din-sized head unit. The ones I'm thinking of slide out of the dash, fold up to show the screen and are a complete pain in the neck. Now, if nav is an option can I expect that we would not see this style, because of how fragile and prone to damage they are?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 AM

2 cents...

1. To think/worry that navigation will be standard in the new Camaro is ludicrous. Navigation is not standard in any car that comes to mind. Hell, my dad just bought a $90,000 Benz and even at that price point he had to pay extra for the Navigation (even though he has Tele-aid, which is just like On-Star).

With that being said, if it is offered as an option, why be mad? Just don't buy it.

2. On-Star just as good as navigation. NO. It simply is not the same. Number one, On-star is a pay service of 18.95 a month. Number 2, that doesn't even include Turn-By-Turn. So you have to pay even more to get that feature. Number 3, being able to actually see a map makes a big difference. If there is something unexpected blocking a big portion of my route, I can look down at my map and plan a new route. Also, most nav units, there is a reroute feature. I don't want to have to call up On-Star again to have them redownload a new route into my radio. And from what I hear, they are unable to do that anyway. (Last statement has not been verified by me.)

3. That all brings me to my final point. YES. GM should over nav from the factory to everyone who wants it. Me personally, I would rather take my Camaro with no audio system at all. I will be tearing all of that crap out anyway and going aftermarket, including in-dash nav
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Unhappy BOY I Hope So

I enjoy the one in the C6! I cannot believe they do not offer it in the new Malibu. What a MISTAKE!!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by fredl11
I enjoy the one in the C6! I cannot believe they do not offer it in the new Malibu. What a MISTAKE!!

I agree...not only is nav useful in many situations, but it's one of those options that passengers see and go "wow, this car IS fully loaded." Especially in the mid 20k range, a lot of people are wishing for their automobiles to appear upscale, to which the Malibu's exterior already lends itself.

It doesn't have to be touch-screen or have a fold-out display, but a simple button interface would do. Anything but BlondeStar.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Don't care, I have a sense of direction.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Slap
2 cents...

With that being said, if it is offered as an option, why be mad? Just don't buy it.

2. On-Star just as good as navigation. NO. It simply is not the same. Number one, On-star is a pay service of 18.95 a month. Number 2, that doesn't even include Turn-By-Turn. So you have to pay even more to get that feature. Number 3, being able to actually see a map makes a big difference. If there is something unexpected blocking a big portion of my route, I can look down at my map and plan a new route. Also, most nav units, there is a reroute feature. I don't want to have to call up On-Star again to have them redownload a new route into my radio. And from what I hear, they are unable to do that anyway. (Last statement has not been verified by me.)
Exactly. Everyone is getting their panties wound up for what? For a possible option? The Mustang (read: It's competitor) offers one as an option, therefor, the Camaro will most likely offer one. So, if you don't want it don't get it.

Everyone who states they've survived without a nav, has never gotten lost, or will just take a map with them certainly never experience the ease of traveling from point A, to B, to C, then to D. Like, if you were on vacation or had to go a hop around a few locations.

Like some people said, once you've used one, you will not go back. Just like the 'net, the cell, etc. the convenience cannot be argued.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Look, let's all get a grip on ourselves.

First of all, I would eat my web server if it is a STANDARD feature on the car. They just don't do that because they are expensive and they surely know not everyone wants one or can afford one. It is not standard on a Corvette is it? Put that into perspective.

The car MUST be AFFORDABLE. Making every buyer fork over 1k-2k more is surely a deal break for many buyers and Chevrolet knows this.

Are they nice to have? Damn right!
Are they cool to fiddle with? If you have to ask this question, turn in your man card.

So now the big question...

Will it be available? I think to be competitive in the market segment, yes. I think it will be an OPTION. That means if you don't want it, you don't have to pay for it. That also means if you DO want one, you will probably have the OPTION to pay for one.

Again, let's get a grip on reality.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Look, let's all get a grip on ourselves.

First of all, I would eat my web server if it is a STANDARD feature on the car. They just don't do that because they are expensive and they surely know not everyone wants one or can afford one. It is not standard on a Corvette is it? Put that into perspective.

The car MUST be AFFORDABLE. Making every buyer fork over 1k-2k more is surely a deal break for many buyers and Chevrolet knows this.

Are they nice to have? Damn right!
Are they cool to fiddle with? If you have to ask this question, turn in your man card.

So now the big question...

Will it be available? I think to be competitive in the market segment, yes. I think it will be an OPTION. That means if you don't want it, you don't have to pay for it. That also means if you DO want one, you will probably have the OPTION to pay for one.

Again, let's get a grip on reality.
Well Put!

With this being said keep in mind Chevy is GM's value leader and that means price point is important. Keeping it an option is important to those who want a very affordable car. Now if you get into a Caddy it is the price of admission and should be expected as well as the automatic nose wiper and heated steering wheel .

Even with the Bu lacking a Nav right now I would not be suprised to see it added next year as the first year GP also lacked it. Putting one in is as easy as installing a upgraded radio indash as they do in most cars. It would not take a major retro fit.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 PM

Looking at my OnStar renewal letter for my Grand Prix, I notice a Safe and Sound Plan for $18.95/mo or $199/yr and a Directions & Connections Plan for $28.90/mo or $299/yr. I do not know if the latter includes the former or not. Doesnt matter, I use a $5 Rand McNally atlas where ever I go. And what ever happened to the human connection of calling someone up to find out the best way to get there?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Well Put!

With this being said keep in mind Chevy is GM's value leader and that means price point is important. Keeping it an option is important to those who want a very affordable car. Now if you get into a Caddy it is the price of admission and should be expected as well as the automatic nose wiper and heated steering wheel .

Even with the Bu lacking a Nav right now I would not be suprised to see it added next year as the first year GP also lacked it. Putting one in is as easy as installing a upgraded radio indash as they do in most cars. It would not take a major retro fit.
Makes sense to me. I'd not be surprised to see a nav option on the new Camaro. I can see how it is becoming a more popular option. It also makes sense that it would/will likely be an OPTION... certainly not standard.

Quick Reply: Will the new Camaro have a nav system?