2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Wife doesn't like 5th gen., now what do I do

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Prominent Member

Wife V2.0.....j/k......
Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
This June, we'll be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. I'm very grateful for the fact that my wonderful wife understands my passion for cars and realizes how much it means to me. She is completely supportive with respect to the choices I make, whether they be about vehicles, taking road trips or participating in a lapping day. She might think I'm nuts sometimes, but that would never cause her to try and throw a roadblock in my path!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM

I love my wife.. lol She wants a V8 hugger orange convertible with gun metal stripes like the concept.. she wants it Manual and she said.. can we get some bigger wheels that are gun metal to match the stripes???

oh yeah... i love my wife.

Last edited by jcamere94z28; 01-23-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM

The best wife in the world......

Well.....my wife loves the 5th gen and even before she saw it was determined that I get one. Even if she hated it, she wants me to have what I want.

When I was looking for a black '99 TA WS6, we were dating and she made herself late for work calling a bunch a dealers near her to see if they had a car. She found one and I bought it two days later - she absolutely loved that car, too.

My wife is the absolute best and I'm the luckiest guy in the world.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Tell her to stuff it...

Bargain w/ her and get the 2010 anyway.. It'll grow on her, I'm sure..
Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
First off....Camry or Accord?
Malibu. Nuff said. Sit her down in that, have her enjoy the thought of a Bow-Tie family. Tell her that they will match like a set of shoes and a dress!!
What picture did she see? Did she see the car in person? Did she watch Transformers with you?
I did tell her if we get to that point we should look at the Malibu as well as the other two.
The picture on my desktop is the white pre-production model front view.
She did watch Transformers with me but didn't like it.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Better yet, let her test drive one, and you might end up with 2 in the driveway...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM

umm??? who's car will it be? do you like it? my girl doesn't like any camaro, thats hasn't and wont stop me. from getting what i want.

has she seen it in person? that might change her mind
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM

lol I was the one that TOLD my Wife................ I mean My husband that we were getting a New Camaro, if he liked it or not.

I mean he got ticked off at me when we got our buick because it wasnt something he wanted, but I have gone his way several times in buying a car that I hated or didnt like. Its time I get something I WANT. NOW he loves the buick & he drives it more than I do lol. ( he works at a better place than I do)

So We are getting a Jetstream BLUE Vert with Silver strips & black Leather interior.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM

I dont think its that crucial at all. If she is driving it as her main car then yes. If its my car the wife accepts what I want.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Yeah, we've finally gotten our situation resolved. She didn't like sticks, so I sold my Formula for a CTS, which she loved, and I liked, but not as much as the bird. So we sold that for a vette, but I got an A4 to make her happy. She was, I wasn't. Ended up making a deal w/ her...she had already picked our Blazer, so I told her to pick whatever sedan she wanted, and we would get that, and when it was paid off, I would get me whatever 6 speed whatevercar I wanted. She agreed. So now she will have her choice of 2 cars that she picked, and she will leave me alone w/ my vette .

Luckily, the SS is a short timer, as she will be getting a Camaro down the road .
Old 01-24-2008, 03:09 AM

Kind of hard to comment too much not knowing what you financial situation is, how "demanding" your wife is (another word can be used in some relationships ) and how much practice you guys have talking through issues and negotiating.

.....but I will say it sounds like you may be getting the short end of the stick if you sold your car with the agreement to use the money on a new Camaro only to be forced to use it to buy her a new car. Good luck on that one.

As far as myself, my wife could take it or leave it when it comes to the 5th Gen or any "sports car" for that matter. But as someone else said of their wife, she knows how passionate I AM about cars. NO WAY and NO HOW would I ever buy a car without her "buying off" on it. I "make my case" and she either agrees or talks sense into me and we hold off.....and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's not all one sided.

Cases in point:

Married to my 1st wife (use the alternate term for "demanding" here) for 6 years. The only "cool" car I was "allowed" to have was the 78 Z28 I bought 5 years before we married.

Got divorced, moved in with my present wife, got my 92 Z28. In the 11 years since we've been married:
-- Got the 95 Z28 when the '92 started having reliability issues.
-- Got the 85 Vette, and she reasoned that the only way to restore it was to sell the 95Z.
-- After putting time and money into the 85 Vette I was absolutely disgusted with the only part I didn't do myself....the paint. I was "working on her" to replace it with a early 90's ZR1 Vette. She did some checking on the net behind my back, and while I was looking at more than 10 year old ZR1's, she found I could get a 1 or 2 year old LS1 Vert, or hardtop Firehawk or SS. Guess what? I got the 01 SS.
-- Got the 66 Vette off my Dad, and though I would have LOVED to keep the SS AND put money away to restore the 66, that wasn't realistic, so I sold the SS and started restoring the '66.
-- My '78 Z28 wasn't cutting it as a reliable or comfortable daily driver, so I convinced her to get a 96 Z28 off a buddy of mine relatively cheap as a DD instead to use until the '66 was done.
-- Hopefully the Vette will be done before Summer, and even though it WILL definitely be a "driver", it WON'T be a "daily driver". I can't see myself driving that 96 Z28 with over 105K miles the next 2 or even 3 years until the 500+hp "Bad-A$$" Camaro comes out AND is affordable (read: when dealer price gouging ends).

.....so I'm currently shopping for a lower mileage C5 Z06 to use as a daily driver until then !

A lot of it is give & take and/or being realistic about finances. But if it's all give on your part and all take on hers.....been there done that for 6 miserable years...not cool

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 01-24-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 AM

Well since the C6 we bought 1.5 years ago has become hers more or less...Lol... The Camaro will be mine.She drives it more since I use a company car most of the time. I wanted A candy apple red w/ gunmetal stripes and wheels. We compromised on Candy apple w/ silver stripes and chrome or silver wheels. She`s as excited as I am now. Personally I think you should explain to her you are selling your car to buy this new one, and it should be your decision.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 AM

I made my wife sign on with the new Camaro before we got married. I told her that was the only non-negotiable thing in our relationship. She seems to like it but she also knows how important it is to me.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Wives are funny animals..

I bought my 97 Z28 Convert 3 years before I even met my wife. I rarely drive it (only 35k miles) in the summer anymore. After we got married and had our first child she said the Camaro had to go. She had pretty much got what ever she wanted up to that point. When I told her that was not an option she was not happy. I told her that was one issue I was not flexible on. She tried for the next several years to get me to sell it, but finally realized it was like talking to a wall. That car was my first nice car I ever bought. It really means alot to me. When we built our house I added a 10 foot extension to the garage just to store my baby in the winter. Now the new Camaro is coming out. We struck a deal that I could get it if she gets a new mini-van. Well she is driving a brand new mini van so I have a green light to buy the Camaro when it comes out.

On a side note, she did ask if I was selling my 97 before getting the new one. I was like 'Ummmm... No...'

Last edited by embpic; 01-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Wife doesn't like 5th gen., now what do I do