2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the ripped off retro look...Where do you go down the road? 70's again

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Why the ripped off retro look...Where do you go down the road? 70's again

Okay I must vent here.
If you look at the transition of the Corvette from C5 to C6 you will see that the design in and out gets more futuristic, modern and missile like. That just seems to be the natural way of newer things regardless if its cars or toaster ovens.

I think that the retro look is looks good at a glance, but I think that the interest will be short lived. I am very anxious to see how Ford handles the first refresh of the Mustang down the road.

So if the Camaro arrives in 09, my question is where do you go from there. Traditionally there is a refresh of some kind every 6 years or so. So does the 60's look morph into the 70's look and so on. Personally I was never a fan of 70's or 80's styling, but thats just me. I still think that the third gen to the fourth gen Camaro styling set the bar pretty darn high.

I know there 60's Camaro on steroids will sell big, but I don't think its good for the overall longevity of the revived car we love so much. Again history will tell.

Regardless of the new Camaros appearance, I have no issues period with the LS2. Way to go GM

Last edited by wrd1972; 08-12-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Re: Why the ripped off retro look...Where do you go down the road? 70's again

Sorry, but if you'd like to complain about retro, join a Dodge board where they're gloating about the Challenger's "modern" style.

I honestly see the Camaro as very modern with retro touches. Honestly, I don't find it quite as retro as even the Mustang. I think the Camaro is very tastefully done and not tacky nor overly retro in the least bit. And believe me, I'd be the first to rant about it being too retro.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:34 PM

This Camaro is one of the least retro generations. While the 4th was obviously futuristic looking, it seemed to me to be a reflection of the 70's 2nd generation Camaros. Just because it actually looks like a Camaro, doesn't mean it's retro. Just my opinion

But at the same time, I like the fact that some see retro, some see a little, and some see none at all, but all seem to see that it is truly a Camaro. Good question though about where they will go from here....and on the Ford side, how long will they go with the retro look?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NOS2006
Sorry, but if you'd like to complain about retro, join a Dodge board where they're gloating about the Challenger's "modern" style.
So for voicing my thouhts and not conforming to your likes and taste I should just get the **** out and get a Hemi..
Gee thanks for the good dialog

I really was not complaining, you would see this if you thouroghly read the post. My comment is where do you go in the future. I never bashed the new design at all.

Last edited by wrd1972; 08-12-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM

As stated ^, if anything is ROR it's the Challenger. As for where to go next on Camaro, perhaps some more styling elements that where left out of the concept, from any generation. IMO design wise the possibilities are endless. Many things from making the tails more round, to any other elements from the past, as long as they work design wise as well this next Camaro. The Camaro IMHO looks surprisingly modern, and very missile like & aggressive looking (I really love this thing , and I knew it would be back), despite the fact that the 69 model was the main focus and where the designers drew their inspiration for it. Also IMO, I don't think where to go from here, is as big a problem as the retro naysayers always say. JMO!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I still think that the third gen to the fourth gen Camaro styling set the bar pretty darn high.
I think it was a step back. 4th Gen appearance to me (IMO) is boring and bland compared to the 3rd Gen stlyling. They just ran the 3rd Gen's too long (10yrs).

I'm gonna buy a 4th as they are still nice; but the ultimate to me is a 3rd Gen w/ a 4th Gen drivetrain...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z

I'm gonna buy a 4th as they are still nice; but the ultimate to me is a 3rd Gen w/ a 4th Gen drivetrain...
Blue IROC or a white 92 Z with LS1 and t56....

Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM

I think that the retro look is looks good at a glance, but I think that the interest will be short lived. I am very anxious to see how Ford handles the first refresh of the Mustang down the road.

So if the Camaro arrives in 09, my question is where do you go from there. Traditionally there is a refresh of some kind every 6 years or so. So does the 60's look morph into the 70's look and so on. Personally I was never a fan of 70's or 80's styling, but thats just me.
Why would it go to 70's retro? thats what the 4th gen was. It should be an evoloution of the 5th the way BMW evolves. I hope anyway. I dont think the interest is short lived. I bought a 69 33 years after it was produced. I still like the 05 and 06 Mustang. I never understand when people say if the car looks like a 69 the next one will look like a 70... as if the Engineers and designers have no say in preventing that. In other words, if the concept had been more retro or true to the 69 then I would think the refresh in 5 years would look like the concept, not a 70 anything. I dont think the Dodge boys or Ford boys will have any problems with the refreshes. The Camaro concept will probably give them ideas on how to do their flavor of the same idea. Camaro has its style back and is back to what it used to be. Id like to see it keep it this time with mild refreshes instead of throwing everything out.

I still think that the third gen to the fourth gen Camaro styling set the bar pretty darn high.
If you think 5th gen is 60's retro then 4th gen(98-02) is certainly 70's retro. Even more so because it doesnt have other GM infulences...

I know there 60's Camaro on steroids will sell big, but I don't think its good for the overall longevity of the revived car we love so much. Again history will tell.

Regardless of the new Camaros appearance, I have no issues period with the LS2. Way to go GM
The LS2 sounds good! I cant wait to see what an LS3 sounds like...

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-12-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 AM

the mustang went from not being "retro" to becomming "retro" why cant they switch back the other way? Now i could see the problem on like the vw beetle because they have a huge past and people expect to see the same kind of car, but on a camaro or mustang, i think they could always switch from retro to completly not retro.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM

Okay I must vent here.
If you look at the transition of the Corvette from C5 to C6 you will see that the design in and out gets more futuristic, modern and missile like.
I am sorry you lost me right about here. The C6 carries C3 retro lines ALL over it! The only thing that is totally new is the headlight design and that is similar to the Viper and to a smaller degree the S2000, though that is more of convergent design than copying.

Tell me that you can see the resemblence. If not get your eyes checked.

Last edited by 91_z28_4me; 08-13-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:42 AM

They do both have 4 wheels and 2 seats. V8.

Yup, they resemble each other.

Bob

PS....in all seriousness, you can probably find a "resemblance" in many generations of many cars. I don't see where the C6 shares much of anything in common with the C3. Same thing with the 2nd and 4th Gen F-Body. That is, of course, just my opinion.

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 08-13-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 AM

The cues are there, but not the execution. We all know that vettes have some sort of high rise hood, side vents, 4 tail lights, swoopy or bulging fenders to some degree, ect...

Those elements will probably continue, just as the new Mustang has similiar traits as the original (side scoop, big grille w/ round headlights, big silver horse running in the grille, 3 element tail lights. Now the fox Mustangs..there was no heritage at all in that. They started getting it back w/ the SN95's, and went all the way w/ the new one. The Camaro concept is similar in that respect in that it shares certain design traits w/ the old ones, while looking new and fresh. I would imagine that the new new Camaro will carry over a modern interpretation of these classic Camaro elements.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 AM

So for voicing my thouhts and not conforming to your likes and taste I should just get the **** out and get a Hemi..

I really was not complaining, you would see this if you thouroghly read the post. My comment is where do you go in the future. I never bashed the new design at all.
You do the same thing you would for every other refresh, a nip here a tuck there. There is no reason they cant make the design more modern or try different past cues. Retro changes nothing.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:23 AM

It will naturally evolve as all cars before it have.

The 2nd Gen had 1st gen characteristics, the 3rd Gen had 2nd gen characteristics, the 4th gen had third gen characteristics.

The 6th gen will be new, but as always will have its predecessors characteristics both in design and execution.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
...but the ultimate to me is a 3rd Gen w/ a 4th Gen drivetrain...
Ha...me too! I loved my 92 RS, it got a heck of alot more compliments than my 02 Z-28 (actually, I never got stopped or asked with the 02, ever).

Going back to the topic, I agree the 5th gen is not too retro. The new Challenger simply looks too much like the old one. Some critics say Camaro "fails" the retro look, while Mustang and Challenger got it perfect. I say Thank God!

As previoulsy noted, this timeless design can be updated every year for the length of its production. We don't have to necessarily go 2nd gen design for the 6th gen. When time comes for the 6th gen (unless it goes hiatus again...) they can build a totally new design.

I seriously didn't like the retro look at first. I'd rather see a whole design, like the 4th gen is very different from the 3rd gen. But, I'm now dreaming about driving one in black with red stripes every night. I never fantasize about a non-existing car before in my life.

Aria

Last edited by Mushasi; 08-13-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Why the ripped off retro look...Where do you go down the road? 70's again