2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did the Camaro get the rear park assist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'll be the first to admit that I sound a lot like you used to in discussions about weight. The difference is, I waited until I drove one to decide what bothered me, whereas you complained about the weight until you drove one, and then posted a thread about how much you enjoyed it, and haven't had much to say about the weight since then.

Having said that, '11 Mustang proves that Camaro could weigh significantly less, and I'm hoping the 6th gen is more competitive on that front.
Well, the complaints are over because NOW it's a done deal and nothing can be done about it. No sense complaining on THIS one, if the outcome can't be affected by those complaints. As long as I felt that there was the slimmest possible chance that corrections could occur, I complained LOUDLY. Now, I just don't care one way or the other.

But let my position be clear....

For me weight and size is still a huge issue with this car. I can feel every last ounce of this behemoth when I drive it. It is huge and it feels huge when you drive it. It's nice and all, but certainly no corner carver. Feels more like an excellent Monte Carlo or Impala rather than the nimble pony car I was hoping for. And once you get past the sales and PR types at GM, weight is a HUGE issue on this car to GM as well. Trust me.

Visibility is an issue to me as well. Lack of such, cuts deeply into my fun to drive factor. And if it's not "fun to drive" why even bother to buy a car like a Camaro?

And let's not forget about the interior design - which I have always and still do hate.

Like many here I want so much to love this car. But put it all together and I just simply can't. It has gone too far off what I'd consider my sweet spot.

I've written the 5th gen off as a car I'd ever want to buy. All my hopes lie in the 6th gen now. And now is the time to shape what happens with that. That's why I start threads like this: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=753640

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-08-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 AM

so lets say they change the angle of the roof line and the visability is suitable for you......youll buy 1 right? and maybe they will sell a few more. butthen how many people do they turn off to the car because it looks like an impala roof line? the car will have no more "sex appeal". those nice looking lines, no longer look good on it. and now there is something else to complain about. not everyone is going to be happy with the car. not everyone is goign to get their wish and have a custom car built to how they want it. people complain. and they like to. its always going to happen. chevy cant please everyone. but they can please majority. andthats what they did with this car.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Maybe you hate the visibility and the feeling of driving in a "turret"....
I bought the car for 2 reasons....LS3 and the incredibly cool styling and chopped windows....If you have a sunroof the airy feeling is completely handled and OWNERS dont give a hoot about complaints on visibility....lots and lots and lots of cars from corvettes to Mitsus (Eclipse GT) have challenged visibility. One more time with GUSTO.....set the darn mirrors OUT away from the car lines on passenger side and adjust interior mirror to catch the rest and if you trust your eyesight you cannot miss a car with a quick shoulder check.
GM PLEASE do not screw with the lines of this car. It is what is making the car sell. A few people are not happy with the look and visibility ...who cares? 100,000 people must be able to adjust their mirrors and deal with it.
GM took a big risk on this car and the weenies have not stopped being weenies. I say great job, because risks are just that risks....it obviously has sold some cars....I am convinced 5th Gen will turn out to be a classic in 20 years because of the chopped look and the "lousy" visibility in some eyes...
If we wanted a Mustang or an Impala we would of asked for one...When we all saw it in Detroit in 2006 we knew the visibility would be tight....we all clamoured for it....cant please the visibility cops?....GOOD.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM

You can get an agressive roofline and good visibility if you have the right architecture. Hopefully, the 6th gen will address that as well...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 PM

I think GM has heard from the visibility folks .....over and over....but next gen is what 4 yrs away?? kinda baked in now and lovin every minute...park assist...back to topic is baked in BUT would be nice as an option cause lots of guys and gals dont want it....
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
I think GM has heard from the visibility folks .....over and over....but next gen is what 4 yrs away?? kinda baked in now and lovin every minute...park assist...back to topic is baked in BUT would be nice as an option cause lots of guys and gals dont want it....
the 6th gen is years away, but it is being developed right now. its going to be on the Alpha platform.....is this an existing platform? if so what vehicles ride on it now?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
the 6th gen is years away, but it is being developed right now. its going to be on the Alpha platform.....is this an existing platform? if so what vehicles ride on it now?

Alpha is being developed as we speak. The first car on it will be the Cadillac ATS in about 2 years.

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 AM

so no cars have this platform? how do we know its any good? it will be smaller than the 5th gen,from what i have heard so far.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM

so no cars have this platform? how do we know its any good? it will be smaller than the 5th gen,from what i have heard so far.

Well, it'll be smaller and lighter. It's chassis dynamics are being designed to match or surpass competition like the BMW 3 Series and MB C Class. Mark Reuss has said that they are spending the time and money to get it's steering right.

ALL of those things would be good attributes for a 6th gen Camaro.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM

sounds pretty promising.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 PM

What the heck does weight, mass or a smaller 6th gen Camaro have to do with the rear parking assist on the 5th gen?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

so lets say they change the angle of the roof line and the visability is suitable for you......youll buy 1 right? and maybe they will sell a few more.
If my finances allow when the time comes, yes, I will probably buy a new Camaro if the visibility is fixed. Note that I have no problem with the roof line -- it's the C pillars that are causing the visibility problem.

butthen how many people do they turn off to the car because it looks like an impala roof line? the car will have no more "sex appeal". those nice looking lines, no longer look good on it.
I don't see how they can fix my problem while retaining the 5th gen look, unless they can figure out a way to create a material that you can see through from the inside but looks like painted metal from the outside, while retaining the structural integrity of metal. (I can't rule that out completely, but it's certainly a long shot. ) All of my hopes are based on a 6th gen, which would have to be a completely new design.

Note that the 2010+ Mustang looks great and has significantly better visibility than Camaro. It's selling just fine. I'm not saying Camaro should look like a Mustang, but that cars can look great without sacrificing good visibility.

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
One more time with GUSTO.....set the darn mirrors OUT away from the car lines on passenger side and adjust interior mirror to catch the rest and if you trust your eyesight you cannot miss a car with a quick shoulder check.
Well, you've missed my point once again. At least it was with GUSTO.

The visibility does not affect how confident I feel behind the wheel. I know where all the cars are around me. I know how to adjust my mirrors, and I know I can trust my eyesight.

The visibility hampers my ability to enjoy the car while driving. I assert that "enjoy-ability" is of the utmost importance for Camaro.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 AM

I heard this is an inspiration for Alpha:

Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
What the heck does weight, mass or a smaller 6th gen Camaro have to do with the rear parking assist on the 5th gen?
well thats all part of the new alpha shassis. which could possibly change the body lines of the 6th gen.which is what people were complaining about because of the visibility, which came about because of the rear park assist ugliness. what doesnt it have to do with it?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
If my finances allow when the time comes, yes, I will probably buy a new Camaro if the visibility is fixed. Note that I have no problem with the roof line -- it's the C pillars that are causing the visibility problem.

I don't see how they can fix my problem while retaining the 5th gen look, unless they can figure out a way to create a material that you can see through from the inside but looks like painted metal from the outside, while retaining the structural integrity of metal. (I can't rule that out completely, but it's certainly a long shot. ) All of my hopes are based on a 6th gen, which would have to be a completely new design.

Note that the 2010+ Mustang looks great and has significantly better visibility than Camaro. It's selling just fine. I'm not saying Camaro should look like a Mustang, but that cars can look great without sacrificing good visibility.

Well, you've missed my point once again. At least it was with GUSTO.

The visibility does not affect how confident I feel behind the wheel. I know where all the cars are around me. I know how to adjust my mirrors, and I know I can trust my eyesight.

The visibility hampers my ability to enjoy the car while driving. I assert that "enjoy-ability" is of the utmost importance for Camaro.
and the camaro is selling just fine(with "terrable" visibility) and not to mention, only 2 models(vs & v8 coupe)

Quick Reply: When did the Camaro get the rear park assist?