2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Models Would You Like For The 5th Gen Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:12 PM

Re: What Models Would You Like For The 5th Gen Camaro?

It would not be a bad thing if there was a GM performance parts supercharger kit for the base V6 however (or better yet turbo kit).
Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Realistically, I don't imagine GM having more than 3 major trim level choices. The "RS" would probably be an appearance package on top of the base level... maybe a different exhaust, differently tuned suspension.
I do feel that there should be both a Z/28 and SS although go back and forth on what should be "top dog"

Keeping with Chevy's theme and historical accuracy I'd have to give the title to the SS. As was previously stated, the Z/28 only came about because of TransAm regulations. They had a minimum production of 600 and a maximum displacement of 5.0L.
They created the Z/28 option package, and for an engine, they threw the 283 crank and a 327 block into a box, waved their magic wand and viola... out popped a 302. Repeat 602 times and you have a car that meets Trans Am regulation.

I feel that Chevy has always kept the SS at the top of the line. Although, If only one V8 coupe were to be made.. I'd have to call it a z/28
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It would not be a bad thing if there was a GM performance parts supercharger kit for the base V6 however (or better yet turbo kit).
I think that would be a good marketing project for GM perfomace. It would only work if the base V6 is built to handle to power adder though.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:07 PM

I agree with the three models. But they should be seperated enough to spread the car over a big spectrum.

Camaro Base coupe: V6, 250 hp. Manual 5 speed (tremec) or auto

RS: 5.3L V8, 300-330 HP Manual 5 speed (Tremec) or auto (optioned as a stripper, maybe with a radio, to a Luxo-cruiser complete with Bun-warmers and 6 CD in dash changer, NAVI- etc)

Z28: 6.0- 6.2L 400-425 hp (Vette may have 450 by then, who knows?!?!)
6 speed manual, or auto

SS: 6.0-6.2L with functional cowl hood, different suspension settings, etc. Maybe different exhaust.

I truly don't see the possibility of the Camaro getting the LS7, but I do think it will get the LS2, and by then the Vette will have jumped, or the Camaro will get less hp.

Either way, mine will be the RS, with cloth interior, optional rims (if there are any good ones) and that's IT. Manual trans, a decent exhaust, intake, and a mild cam, and I'll have one bad *** daily driver.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
why not a version of the truck's 4.8L engine for a base model V8? if fuel mileage in a V8 is what you're after, what else does GM have to offer thats better?

how about LS2 heads on that ?

or my personal idea of a 4.8L crank in a 6.0L Block, long rod short stroke DZ-3?? I know it wouldn't be a 302, but it'd be cool, a 8500 rpm V8 in a camaro.......
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Base Camaro - Camaro for the masses
3.9L 240HP V6 - 14.8 1/4 et @ 95mph
optional 5.3L Vortec 295HP V8 - 14.2 1/4 et @ 100mph

Z28 - stiff suspension for street use w/ optional 1LE handling package for serious cornering
5.0(?) 325HP V8 (made by mating 4.8L crank & 5.3L block) - 13.4 1/4 et @ 108 mph

SS - The newest addition to Chevy's SS lineup
6.0L LS2 400HP V8 - 12.6 1/4 et @ 113 mph

ZL1 - Ultimate Camaro
7.0L LS7 495HP V8 - 11.6 1/4 et @ 122 mph
Old 01-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Yup, no question the base is the mid 200's hp v6 engine. That is where the camaro has to make the sales (no matter how odd i find it that most people don't want 300+ hp ).

The top will be 400-450 I believe. I haven't been into camaros long enough to care if it is a z/28 or SS, both say power to me.

Now, I would love to have a top model capable of beating the 475hp stang coming out, but I do doubt it is coming. All though if it is a few hundred lbs under the mustangs rumored 3900lbs it still may have a chance with less power.

Time will tell but i do see it working out to have 3 models,
Base 250hp v6
mid 325-250 v8
top 400-450 v8 closer to 500 the better right??
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

How 'bout a better lookin' car?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:36 PM

I think they should go with the RS as the base car with a 240-250ish hp V6 or so, thus making even the in effect base cars look pretty good (ie no *** UGLY wheel hubcap crap, etc) and seem special. Wouldn't cost anymore to label it a RS and would kinda be special somehow for everyone to be able to say they at least had a Camaro RS. I don't know, just an idea.

Then I'd go with the SS and Z28 both having the 400-425hp 6.2l or 6.0l if they're still using that at the time, either way is good enough (course the 6.2l is better...). To keep the Z28 from being just relegated to the "standard" model like it was with the 4thgens give it some special options, give it the special suspension and brake treatment the SS previously got. I think that would be more of what the Z28 should be and was originally, it shouldn't be the 500hp model IMO. Despite what people with rose colored glasses want to think the Z28 did not own the dragstrip or the street for that matter, it was the roadracer with a higher strung engine (but lower output compared to the 396 cars, especially the L78 I believe was the designation 396s..)... Also give the Z28 the special cowl induction hood ala the originals. With the SS make it more of the set standard V8 car, but I wouldn't go to the expense and effort of making one or the other a really significantly different car, ie no LS7 for one and such. It would be really great if whatever V8 models even maxed with regular options (no GPS and such) would come in under $30k, and if not under very close...

I say you can't have a "Super Sport" and then give it some 5.3l less than spectacular setup. Especially when the 5.3l wouldn't really be any cheaper for GM to make and install in the car, and actually having the seperate engine option would probably add cost. I don't like the idea of the getting the lower output smaller motor either though (even if it's more historically accurate...). I say skip the low output V8 altogether, if it's gotta be there I guess the RS is it w/ the V6 again being relegated to just a plain jane Camaro like others have posted...

If the car is designed well and doesn't weigh a crapload like the Challenger and GT500 it will be quite competitive at 425ish hp and get better gas mileage...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-09-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Base Camaro - V6 , with a optional low dose V8 . Im sorry , but you just cannot argue with sales the low HP V8 mustangs and the insanely popular low hp 89-92 Camaro RS . Dont separate the models , simply put ...a V6 model with a optional 300 hp V8 .

Camaro SS - todays equivelent to a 4th gen Z28 , and the answer to Fords mid model Mach 1 . 350-375 hp V8 , with specific suspension and trim .

Camaro Z28 - Go get that GT500

Camaro ZL1 - Not regular model . Ford will undoutably do another limited edition , bare bones Cobra R type model . Why not trump Ford on this one . Could Chevy ****** a couple hundred or less buyers for a stripped bare bones model , with a competition oriented suspension with a version of the LS7 .

Good post. I'd like to see an RS option though, even if it is just a looks thing like on 1st Gens.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

GM is not going to build another car to trump the Corvette.So I wouldn't get my hopes up for a ZL-1.They know they screwed up before when they did that.They would a helluva lot rather sell Vette's than Camaro's,no matter how new and improved it is.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:59 PM

I would buy a Z28 model, but If I knew they were coming out with an SS model, I would definitely wait for it. (But not for too long before I buy a Z/28)
Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by prohunter4
GM is not going to build another car to trump the Corvette.So I wouldn't get my hopes up for a ZL-1.They know they screwed up before when they did that.They would a helluva lot rather sell Vette's than Camaro's,no matter how new and improved it is.
this thing is gonna weigh a bit more than the Corvette, even with the LS7, it wont be in Z06 territory
Old 01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FS3800
this thing is gonna weigh a bit more than the Corvette, even with the LS7, it wont be in Z06 territory
That's not my point.I don't see them putting that motor in a Camaro unless it is a seriously limited edition.GM has a lot of crap to sort out in the meantime.They need to get their money problems straightened out, or learn to speak Japanese.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 AM

If you look at the way chevy has been leaning in the last few years, I would bet that the SS will be the top of the line. They have been training the public that SS means performance with the Impala, Monte Carlo and Silverado SS models.

I would like to see 3 models with some package choices.

Base Model v6 badged as the Camaro with an optional RS appearance package to make it look almost like an ss. Stripes, ground effects, nice wheels and dual exhaust.

Mid level Model Badged Z/28 with the LS2. 1le option with beefier suspension, brakes, and fewer interior luxiories.

Top Level Badged SS. More HP due to a ram air hood and less restrictive exhaust, upgraded stereo and interior, and a killer appearance package.

The SS would have higher HP numbers, the guage most consumers use to measure the performance of a car, and allow for the WOW factor of having the top of the line car, but the 1le would be the choice for those of us that are concerned with power to wieght ratios and all out performance.

Quick Reply: What Models Would You Like For The 5th Gen Camaro?