2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do we know about the 5th gen so far?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Re: What do we know about the 5th gen so far?

The more I think about it the more my mind changes...

If it were available today I'd want the biggest V8 possible (supercharged if need be) and a racing tuned suspension and brakes ala Z06 (like the Z06 is to the Z51). That part hasn't changed. What has changed is now I want all that in a convertible with a 6-speed auto with paddle shifters.

And I no longer care what you call it, as long as you call it Camaro.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Not that my P.O. matters much, but I'd want this car to recieve the engine that will give it the best power to weight ratio possible to acheive the best acceleration off the line, since the car will probably only see top speed once or twice under it's lifetime under my ownership(closed course of course, or maybe out in the desert during the summer on a weekend). The second thing that matters to be most is that this car be able to tackle corners w/ aplumb, very little or NO body roll, should just dig in and go w/ the corner. Lastly, but by no means last in terms of importance, feelsome steering that lets me know exactly what's going on w/ the wheels upfront. I've driven several Bimmers and nothing inspires more confidence than an alert steering setup.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deutsch
Not that my P.O. matters much, but I'd want this car to recieve the engine that will give it the best power to weight ratio possible to acheive the best acceleration off the line, since the car will probably only see top speed once or twice under it's lifetime under my ownership(closed course of course, or maybe out in the desert during the summer on a weekend). The second thing that matters to be most is that this car be able to tackle corners w/ aplumb, very little or NO body roll, should just dig in and go w/ the corner. Lastly, but by no means last in terms of importance, feelsome steering that lets me know exactly what's going on w/ the wheels upfront. I've driven several Bimmers and nothing inspires more confidence than an alert steering setup.
Straight line acceleration has never been what Camaros are about. It was called "the Hugger" because it could corner and handle. The new Camaro must be true to its heritage, otherwise its not a Camaro.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Well, I don't know anything about the 5th gen but just reading this thread gets me excited. One thing it would love to see on the V8 cars is Displacement On Demand. Maybe a toggle switch like our traction control so we can get great mileage driving around town and still light 'em up when ricers are begging for a beating.

Does anybody know if DOD will be considered? It just seems like a technology that offers the best of both worlds.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss 2000 Z-28
Well, I don't know anything about the 5th gen but just reading this thread gets me excited. One thing it would love to see on the V8 cars is Displacement On Demand. Maybe a toggle switch like our traction control so we can get great mileage driving around town and still light 'em up when ricers are begging for a beating.

Does anybody know if DOD will be considered? It just seems like a technology that offers the best of both worlds.
I thought DOD was already a given. The concept has it.

Though minus a 'toggle switch'.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
I thought DOD was already a given. The concept has it.

Though minus a 'toggle switch'.
DOD is a given.... but remember the concept is just that, a concept, just because the concept has something does not man the production model will have it too….
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 PM

The ZL1 will have nitrous from the factory.

You heard it here first.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Caddy STS SAE 100 concept.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/photos.c...ac-sts-sae-100

Also check out that powerplant.
One of the coolest cars I have ever seen in terms of bells and whisles.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 PM

I have to say that I am discouraged by the talk of pricing among people of this board as well as some of our insider friends. I understand inflation and all of the factors that go into making cars more expensive, but I still think the Camaro needs to be priced BELOW the mustang to generate the type of sales GM is looking for. I will be in a position where I can afford a V8 Camaro but it would have been impossible a few years ago and I wouldn't have settled for a V6.

Anyways I want lots of power and luxury and performance and technology and I don't want to pay for it. I'll stop complaining now.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
DOD is a given.... but remember the concept is just that, a concept, just because the concept has something does not man the production model will have it too….
Oh, no, I wasn't assuming a production version was going to have it just 'cause the concept did. I just thought it had already been mentioned the production version WOULD have it, and then stated that the concept did. Sorry for the confusion...
Old 04-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Wow, if the production V8 will have DOD and of course flexfuel compatibility, I might do something I never thought I'd do: Trade in my beloved Z/28 If and when I make the deal, it will probably be in it's second or third year of production to avoid recall issues. Gawd I can't wait to see this thing on the roads!

Great thread!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 PM

so you're going to wait till '13 for your camaro?

I'd rather have a low-tech "cam in block" 325hp V8 than a fancy DOHC V6 that needs premium fuel. You would think the V8 would be cheaper to produce also. I like all of the options though...