2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What concerns YOU more on the Camaro?
How much it weighs.
35.20%
How much it costs.
64.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What concerns you more? Cost or weight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by num1panthersfan
The price definitely because all this coverage has me all amped up. I really want a V8 but im hoping that GM doesn't let us down with expensive pricing!!!!

Im right there with you bro. The words that have been used like "upscale" frighten me when it comes to pricing. I dont want a corvette but I know I can buy a new one for 40K. This thing needs to be under 30K for a v8.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM

I've had some time to think over the weight and now with the massive amount of info preceding the release on Monday it seems to me that GM has moved the Camaro up in scale, some will say literally, but further away from it's pony car roots to more a sports coupe.

I have no doubt that this Camaro will perform and with GM Powertrain and some great work probably done at the Ring and other places this car will easily take down the Mustang and Challenger. Thats for the enthusiasts!

But I don't get the feeling that those cars were quite GM's target. I think that while this nameplate was on hiatus that GM decided to move into the sport coupe arena and take on cars like the Accord coupe, G37 and even 3 series. I don't think they want to just beat the Mustang they wanted to give a lot more content and work on fit and finish more than we've seen in past Camaros. The days of the sports car Vette and pony car Camaro actually being very close in performance and sometimes feel are probably over. This car has moved to the sports coupe arena and while still certainly capable of a drag race it's more about content now. This is a car people can live with and actually enjoy day to day rather than a compromise for the big power and sleek lines. IMO
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I've had some time to think over the weight and now with the massive amount of info preceding the release on Monday it seems to me that GM has moved the Camaro up in scale, some will say literally, but further away from it's pony car roots to more a sports coupe.
I tend to agree.

What we have here is a personal coupe, not a ponycar. Actually, I'd have a better time accepting this product had it been called Monte Carlo or Impala or something more appropiate to it's mass.

Anyway, it seems that there are plenty of people, (on the internet anyway), who aren't all that concerned about any strict definitions regarding what is or is not a ponycar. I hope they all buy and enjoy this car.

Me? I guess that I'm just a hopeless purist on the matter. At 3800-4100 pounds, the ponycar formula is simply totally destroyed in my mind. This car is not for me.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 AM

2008 Mustang GT500KR curb weight - 3920 lbs. / 0-60 in 4.5 / 500hp - 500 ft./lb.

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 curb weight 4145 lbs. / 0-60 in 4.7 / 425hp - 420 ft./lb.

2008 Chevy Camaro SS LS3 curb weight 3900 lbs. / 0-60 in 4.8?/ 420hp - 408 ft./lb.

Numbers derived from Edmunds, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend online sites. Camaro 0-60 numbers estimated, but Chevrolet stated that the automatic SS would post a 4.6 0-60, while the manual could only manage 4.9 (4.8 on other sites). I feel this is being extremely cautious on Chevy's part especially when you compare numbers with to the heavier, nearly identically powered Challenger. Hmm. Seems like Chevrolet doesn't want to hurt the manual Camaro test cars or they don't have someone capable of really caning the hell out of them!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 AM

Also the IRS on both the Challenger and Camaro should assist in propelling their respective 0-60 times beyond the higher horsepower in the Shelby.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
Also the IRS on both the Challenger and Camaro should assist in propelling their respective 0-60 times beyond the higher horsepower in the Shelby.
and why would that be, exactly?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 AM

I voted cost..

whistle I was at the dealership yesterday for a part ($3.10 vacuum part)
I asked about the new camaro because I dont see much of anything for it..

I told the guy I just turned 199,913 miles and trying to keep this thing alive until the new one sits in its place...

well he said they are taking a $500 deposit to be put on a list.. I told him I dont pay to be put on a list as that is just plain stupid..... he said a few people are on it..... good for them....!!!!

anyhow...
he said in december you can then start putting one together and pricing it..
he didnt give me a rough idea on the v6 as I wasnt interested (didnt know it was supposed to have 300hp either!!!!!)

he said I am looking at about $25k for a z-28 (to which im reading up here that the z-28 is gone or not coming out????)
and $38k for a loaded SS....

well I have had my current 1996 since 1996 so I dont mind taking out a longer loan - say 6-8 year - as I will own this next camaro for a very long time.....so I dont care about paying more in interest if I can get the payments down... but still at $38k - $3k gm card points = $35k..... maybe put a few k down but I dont need a $500+ a month car payment..
so the z sounds better to me if they still come out with it.....

the guy also said the obvious... they will not sell for less than msrp...
the msrp on my 2005 trailblazer ext was $36,900 to which out the door I was down to $21,400.... that aint gonna happen on a SS I know that....

however GM is doing the Employee discount right now... do you think they will exclude the camaro from that in the future? at work we get the gm employee discount which when I was buying a trailblazer wasnt a good deal over what I paid.... however if you take a car that they will not budge on....
$38k less employee discount of what... $3k-$9k...... $29k - 35k less another $3k for gm card points..... now that I can handle!!!!!!

we will see in december.... but I have the wifes approval on a new camaro... wether it be a v6 (to which im happier with knowing 300hp..) or a z-28 if they make one..... if not the SS will be a stretch if the planets align perfectly for me.....
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RootBreaker
he said I am looking at about $25k for a z-28 (to which im reading up here that the z-28 is gone or not coming out????)
First off, your dealer is a MORON! If he is going to call his customers stupid he should at least get his facts straight. But you are combining two bits of misinformation. First the Z28 will be a model above the SS. So its cost would be above the SS as well which your dealer likely doesnt have correct info on. Knowing that immediately discredits his pricing which was suspect to begin with. The second bit of misinformation, is the Z28 which is the higher model will not being comming out. That rumor was because of a Cheryl Pilchner interview where she said it would not be available at the START of production.

however GM is doing the Employee discount right now... do you think they will exclude the camaro from that in the future?
I think it will be based on how much their selling at the time. Supply and Demand

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-12-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM

I voted cost..

whistle I was at the dealership yesterday for a part ($3.10 vacuum part)
I asked about the new camaro because I dont see much of anything for it..

I told the guy I just turned 199,913 miles and trying to keep this thing alive until the new one sits in its place...

well he said they are taking a $500 deposit to be put on a list.. I told him I dont pay to be put on a list as that is just plain stupid..... he said a few people are on it..... good for them....!!!!

anyhow...
he said in december you can then start putting one together and pricing it..
he didnt give me a rough idea on the v6 as I wasnt interested (didnt know it was supposed to have 300hp either!!!!!)

well I have had my current 1996 since 1996 so I dont mind taking out a longer loan - say 6-8 year - as I will own this next camaro for a very long time.....so I dont care about paying more in interest if I can get the payments down... but still at $38k - $3k gm card points = $35k..... maybe put a few k down but I dont need a $500+ a month car payment..
so the z sounds better to me if they still come out with it.....

the guy also said the obvious... they will not sell for less than msrp...
the msrp on my 2005 trailblazer ext was $36,900 to which out the door I was down to $21,400.... that aint gonna happen on a SS I know that....

however GM is doing the Employee discount right now... do you think they will exclude the camaro from that in the future? at work we get the gm employee discount which when I was buying a trailblazer wasnt a good deal over what I paid.... however if you take a car that they will not budge on....
$38k less employee discount of what... $3k-$9k...... $29k - 35k less another $3k for gm card points..... now that I can handle!!!!!!

we will see in december.... but I have the wifes approval on a new camaro... wether it be a v6 (to which im happier with knowing 300hp..) or a z-28 if they make one..... if not the SS will be a stretch if the planets align perfectly for me.....
im sure there won't be any "Employee Discount" or any special finance rates the first year. The only way would be if it's selling pretty horribly, which would be a double edged sword if your hoping for that.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
im sure there won't be any "Employee Discount" or any special finance rates the first year. The only way would be if it's selling pretty horribly, which would be a double edged sword if your hoping for that.
I agree completely. Im not hoping for that. Im hoping things for me to fall into place about a year out used or new for me to swing one. What I am hoping for though is to use my 2000 GM bucks which I started saving for a discontinued Camaro before I had any idea there would be another. I just happend to need to pick a reward program and a car sounded like a damned good one until the reward points got knocked down. I always said it will be if the Camaro comes back and is done right Ill use them or theyll go toward a truck if at all. I never expected there would be other GM cars I would consider outside Camaro or the truck line.