2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What concerns YOU more on the Camaro?
How much it weighs.
35.20%
How much it costs.
64.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What concerns you more? Cost or weight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM

How would Csaba Csere vote?

http://carvideos.caranddriver.com/?b...tid=1662475117
Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 PM

Csere
Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 PM

First off, he neglects to mention the v-6 models which will carry the cars (especially the Camaro) and secondly people who spend 40k+ on a super v-8 coupe ( the SRT and/or Z28) aren't necessarily buying them as primary drivers. However, I do see the RT and SS possibly taking a hit.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
First off, he neglects to mention the v-6 models which will carry the cars (especially the Camaro) and secondly people who spend 40k+ on a super v-8 coupe ( the SRT and/or Z28) aren't necessarily buying them as primary drivers. However, I do see the RT and SS possibly taking a hit.
+1. I'm sure he's a respected man...but I don't think he's right.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Well.. I think he is... I mean.. Even if you buy a 40k vehicle you ARE concerned about gas prices... Look what has happened to all the YUKONS????
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
Well.. I think he is... I mean.. Even if you buy a 40k vehicle you ARE concerned about gas prices... Look what has happened to all the YUKONS????
Not if you're buying a 40k+ performance vehicle destined to be a weekend warrior. Although suitable for streets, I hardly think they'll be used for anything but weekend cruising and racing. Those buyers probably aren't concerned as much about gas as you're average Yukon buyer who's gonna use the truck every day for commuting, grocery runs, etc.

I will agree that the base V8's are much more in reach of those buyers who may be more inclined to factor in fuel economy; and they may suffer in sales.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 PM

i see.. MANY z06's been driven daily to work.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
i see.. MANY z06's been driven daily to work.
do they complain about their fuel economy, or gas prices as they relate to those Z06's? Or, assuming you don't know them all -- do you think they'd be complaining?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Unclear. It's not as if shaving a couple of hundred pounds would dramatically increase fuel economy.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
The last sentence is what the editorial was about.

The CO2 fears are hitting at the same time as high gasoline prices. So you'll lose people who simply can't afford $4.50/gallon gas as well as those who want to be environmentally correct. His prediction is pretty safe.

On the other hand, that 4.2 liter V8 he mentions only lasted a year or two, after which the 5.0 came back, much better than it had been in 1979.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Unclear. It's not as if shaving a couple of hundred pounds would dramatically increase fuel economy.

He mentioned weight specifically for both the Camaro and Challenger. A couple of hundred pounds? Well, losing it sure wouldn't hurt, but I agree, it wouldn't be an end all. Far more than that would be required.

I'm really beginning to fear for this car. As mentioned above, versions like the Z/28, (and SRT-8) probably won't be snubbed by consumers. Those car will be snapped up by well-to-do collectors who will never turn a steering wheel in anger.

It's the SS and R/T which might take the biggest hit. The V-6 cars will be oh, so critical for Camaro. Hopefully those will deliver the sort of fuel economy which consumers are looking for.

I'll tell you what my reality check is...

Yesterday was my Camaro Club's annual cruise to the Volo Auto Museum. It's really breathtaking to see about 40 Camaros on a picturesque road, on a beautiful day. There is also a very large Mustang/SVT show which a local dealer sponsors on the same day. We always change our route slightly so we can do a 'drive by' and show the Camaro colors.
These guys and gals in our club, are Camaro crazy. Many own, 2, 3, 4 or more Camaros.
A year ago, most were planning on a 5th gen purchase. Yesterday, no one I spoke to was actively planning to buy one. Scary.

Last edited by Z284ever; 07-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Yesterday was my Camaro Club's annual cruise to the Volo Auto Museum. It's really breathtaking to see about 40 Camaros on a picturesque road, on a beautiful day. There is also a very large Mustang/SVT show which a local dealer sponsors on the same day. We always change our route slightly so we can do a 'drive by' and show the Camaro colors.
These guys and gals in our club, are Camaro crazy. Many own, 2, 3, 4 or more Camaros.
A year ago, most were planning on a 5th gen purchase. Yesterday, no one I spoke to was actively planning to buy one. Scary.
You don't think the state of the economy has anything to do with that? If they were talking about purchasing a Challenger or a Mustang, I'd be concerned.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
You don't think the state of the economy has anything to do with that? If they were talking about purchasing a Challenger or a Mustang, I'd be concerned.
Oh, for sure the economy has something to do with it.

The biggest reason it seems though, is fuel prices. Anyone who's paying any attention, knows that the Camaro will be a heavy car with a big motor. As gas approaches 5 bucks per gallon, it makes people think twice about what makes sense as a daily driver.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM

The biggest reason it seems though, is fuel prices. Anyone who's paying any attention, knows that the Camaro will be a heavy car with a big motor. As gas approaches 5 bucks per gallon, it makes people think twice about what makes sense as a daily driver.
True, however the same can be said for the Challenger SRT8 (which has a gas guzzler tax). I for one expect the Z28 to out perform the SRT8 on the track and at the pump.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
True, however the same can be said for the Challenger SRT8 (which has a gas guzzler tax). I for one expect the Z28 to out perform the SRT8 on the track and at the pump.
I think that's what we have to focus on at this point . Times are tough enough for GM, and for society in general (economy, gas prices, etc.).

The Camaro is coming, and let's hope that in light of the current state of things, the car is a big success . Ok, so what, it's a couple hundred pounds heavier than it could have been, but it will still be a great overall performer, right?

I really hope that the Camaro can help to turn around GM's image ... like the Malibu has started to do. Show that GM is capable of building a world-class car .

Charlie, if all goes well, you'll hopefully get your wish of a light-weight 6th-gen . But in the meantime, why not give the 5th-gen a shot, and who knows, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by it?! And if you buy one, and convince those in your Camaro club to buy one, it'll only help strengthen the business case for a future re-design of the Camaro .

What do you say??

(ps: I haven't been around the board much in the past few days, and I suddenly got very depressed just skimming through the first few threads/titles in this forum ..... time for a pep-rally! )

Quick Reply: What concerns you more? Cost or weight?