2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Tap shift tidbit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM
MLL

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
Just checked a fews pics I have of the steering wheel on the auto, only 2 paddles, no buttond like the Vette has! Pretty cool! like 1fastdog said, right paddle has a "+" for upshift and left paddle has a "-" for downshift. I think this is much better, looks like GM is listening to the customers once again.
That is not true. There are no "paddles." What you are refering to are just little wings to indicate which side shifts up and which shifts down. The actual actuator is a button on the back of the steering wheel spoke.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 PM

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ml#post1516656

I took pictures of the paddels at Indy on the Silver SS car. There looked to be 2 sets of paddles.

There is the new convetional + and - paddels, but then there are large rectangular blocks that come out of the back of the steering wheel.

I would have liked to see nice large aluminum paddels...but meh, these will do.

Last edited by Big Als Z; 12-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
MLL

Ok, once again, those are not the paddles, just little wings that are part of the steering wheel casting and they DO NOT MOVE. They simply stick up with the "+" and "-" to indicate which side does what. The actual actuator button is on the back of the spoke. Look at the picture below and you can see what I mean.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Cool. The redundant upshift and downshift buttons/levers on the C6 never made any sense to me. This is the way it should always be, Ferrari got it right!

I can only hope that bringing the tap shift utilization up in every conversation with any I have met on the Camaro development folks made some difference.

I got to drive the first tap shift Corvette at Carlisle some time back. < Let's be clear that I'm a manual kind of guy and the Malibu I bought for my wife is the first non-manual car I have ever purchased. >

Anyway... I was asked what I thought about the tap shift in the Corvette... and I answered, " Kinda stupid to offer up and down shift in two positions..."

Granted, I have driven sequential manuals exclusively prior to driving the Corvette, and the 'vette was the first 'vette built with the paddles. Maybe someone absolutely new to this would find it OK. Not me.

Camaro is getting the more "logical" utilization, at least to me it is.

Once again, I voiced what I thought would be a better ay to many folks. If it made the difference I'm glad... however it came about, it's better. That's all that matters.

The seats just flat smoke what it is offered for Corvette. I figure I know why... as the 'vette seats have to fit in the car and putting a better supportive side bolstered seat would rule out anyone with a greater than 34 inch waist in that application. Camaro is a bit higher stance and more bolster doesn't face the entry issues it would in Corvette. Nonetheless, Camaro wins here too.

Bottom line, Camaro folks get a better driver's experience on those two points.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MLL
Ok, once again, those are not the paddles, just little wings that are part of the steering wheel casting and they DO NOT MOVE. They simply stick up with the "+" and "-" to indicate which side does what. The actual actuator button is on the back of the spoke. Look at the picture below and you can see what I mean.

Right you are! The "hoops" provide a "rest" for the fingers which are not involved in shifting and they allow a solid connect to the wheel in a turn.. It's an elegant deal in the final analysis.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-02-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Good info. I like the idea that Chevy chose to go with upshifting on one side and downshifting on the other. I'd rather have seen actual paddles like the F430 instead of buttons but it's better than nothing.

Is there a position on the console shifter to put the car in manual mode?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 AM
MLL

Yes there is a "M" position on the shifter next to "D".
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Those Aussies know a good seat when they see one. The GTO seats are some of the best OEM seats I've sat in (in a reasonably priced car).
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 AM

Agreed on Camaro's seats. They felt GREAT when I sat in the IVER car. Who is the supplier may I ask? Johnson Controls/Recaro? Lear?
Id say that the Camaro's seats are somewhere in the range of the Cobalt SS's cloth seats, and the GTO's.

As for the paddles...so the +/- signs are just indicators, not the paddles themselves? And that the rectangular objects coming out of the back of teh steering wheel are the paddles?
Wow...they got the right idea, but executed it like crap.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM

I am sure that the paddles will blow away Chrysler's offering with the hemi's, as I never got the hang of it for up-shifting(only down shifting), but I will still have to test drive with them. Funny I don't even plan to test drive the options I want(see sig) just a V-6 and now an SS with a auto.
Thank God for the seats(hopefully), they have always been horrible on the Camaro. A friends Ford Ranger had adjustable seats including the side bolsters that were way ahead of the camaro's