2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweating the details - Camaro exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=07jWp-jzQUs
I suppose there's no way to make it sound something like that from the factory huh? That's one of very few LS based exhausts I've heard that actually sounded decent.

The 04 GTO's did sound better than the 05's (which is weird) but I think best GM exhaust would go to some way back muscle or more modern real SBC cars like L98 IROC-Z's or LT1's.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM

That GTO sounds awsome!...

Modern exhausts flow much better than they did in the '80's. In fact it's getting harder to see real gains in flow but aftermarket's usually sound a whole bunch better.

Even my '90 IROC had an infamous "crossflow" muffler, which had some sharp, restrictive turns inside that hurt flow.

I ran one of the first 2 1/2" true dual, side-by-side piped, exhausts that I know of.

I cut the factory pipes off just behind the (Hi-Flow)convertors and ran twin pipes following the factory routing, over the rear axle and there splitting to two "RPM" muflers, exiting similar to C4 Vettes.

It was deep, mellow when cruising and sounded mean @ WOT!..
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
They need to have the team that did the 04 GTO exhaust work on the 5th gen. Period. Probably the best sounding stock GM exhaust in history.
I agree with this guy!! '04 GTO exhaust sounds great!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

2OTL as opposed to one barrel on each side... and yeah, the 04s do sound great. (see sig)
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
If I wanted loud, I'd go back to the exhaust on my '67 Firebird 400, which was; Headman headers, 2 1/2"California Red long tube glass packs and rear wheel exits!
FWIW, my blue 67 Camaro Coupe has hooker competition headers and a 2 1/2" Flowmaster exhaust with H-pipe. My 67 RS has the stock log manifolds, a 2" exhaust and glass packs. I think I prefer the more subtle rumble and tone of the RS.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
http://youtube.com/watch?v=07jWp-jzQUs
I suppose there's no way to make it sound something like that from the factory huh? That's one of very few LS based exhausts I've heard that actually sounded decent.

The 04 GTO's did sound better than the 05's (which is weird) but I think best GM exhaust would go to some way back muscle or more modern real SBC cars like L98 IROC-Z's or LT1's.
I have to say, that exhaust sounds ideal to me. And feel free to flame away, but its because it sounds like a 302 Stang. I had an '89 5.0 with a cam, headers, x-pipe etc, and I LOVED the sound of that car. There's just something about the tone of a 5.0 that makes me wish that Chevy's sounded more like Fords. If one were to perform the same modifications on a Ford 5.0 and any Chevy, I think the Ford motor would almost always sound nicer. LT1's do have a nice grunt to them though..

Last edited by ForYourMalice; 04-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Nah, I don't think it sounds like a M*stang, I personally can't stand the way they sound. It is kinda like a mix inbetween, it doesnt have that annoying hollow droning sound but more of a growl. BTW, I always found the 4.6 a better sounding engine than the 5.0.

The best sounding cars I've ever heard and what most people at the millions of shows I attend are usually said to be big cammed, high compression Chevy small or big blocks with true dual Flowmaster 40's or the like. They are always the head turners. I always liked Chevys' exhaust sounds the best until the LS1.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'm with you Doug.

It doesn't have to be obnoxiously loud in order to sound sweet. Getting a good exhaust note is sort of an art form.

I know lots of guys who simply bolt the LOUDEST exhaust system up, and think it sounds good. But all it is to me is ear splitting noise. No tone, no burble, no nothing - just loud noise.
Yep , I care much more about tone too .
Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 AM
West South Central Moderator

the ZR1 I heard after the Dallas Auto Show sounded alright.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Heres the type of sound I think sounds best on a LS engine . Im just preferencial to the higher pitched gurgly type systems . It never would be this loud stock , but a quiet tone like this would be sweet .

This one is a bassani
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhu0wVw9ztg&feature=related
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 PM

That's definetly one of the better sounding C6's I've heard, a little high pitched though.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
the ZR1 I heard after the Dallas Auto Show sounded alright.
And there lies the problem. A 640HP car should not sound "alright." Ever heard a 600HP small or big block Chevy that sounded just alright? I've heard 305s that sounded great and like they had way more power than they made. I wish they'd change the firing order or something on the LS's.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 AM

And there lies the problem. A 640HP car should not sound "alright." Ever heard a 600HP small or big block Chevy that sounded just alright? I've heard 305s that sounded great and like they had way more power than they made. I wish they'd change the firing order or something on the LS's.
The problem with changing the firing order is idle shake would result. Too much idle shake and a large number of buyers will be unhappy. The firing order change made higher lift cams possible for street bound cars.

I like the sound of the LS motors, but I like the sound of flat firing Ferraris too...
Old 04-26-2008, 03:44 PM

I wish they'd change the firing order or something on the LS's.
LSx engines have the same firing order as the ford 302 HO / 351 and mod motors. Since it seems like even on GM sites everyone thinks the mustang is the prototypical best sounding car, what firing order would you change them too?

I think everyone complains about LSx exhausts because of what they're listening too. The LS1 fbodies sounded bad because of the single exhaust. LSx corvettes, especially stock but even some aftermarket, are too quiet, plus the central resonator pollutes the sound. The central resonator is also what gives the 05-06 GTO the dump truck sound compared to the racy 04 true duals with no crossover and straight through mufflers. Aftermarket GTO/corvette exhausts that get rid of the junk central resonator sound pretty good though as can fbodies with real true duals.

Last edited by notgetleft; 04-26-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Maybe it's not the firing order? I really don't know. I honestly don't hear alot of people saying that Camaros don't sound as good as M*stangs, quite the opposite up until the LS cars. They might be one of the worst sounding V8's ever, especially for being so powerful. Mine and my friends L98 cars sound like monsters compared to his 02 SS, (they all have aftermarket exhaust) even stock they had better sound. The Thirds have about 100 less HP than the LS1 cars, it just baffles me how much better the true small and big block Chevys sounded. It was like their signature, that deep roaring rumble. (not that high-pitched annoying hollow drone of the F*rds, or the odd inbetween sound of the Mopars) I remember reading reviews of IROC-Z's vs. 5.0's and even the authors often agreed the Chevy sounded better stock and was slightly louder, with single exhaust. There was also no need back then to put hours into trying to get it to not sound lame like they're doing now. The LS's are such good engines, technically probably the best overall V8 you can buy IMO, I just wish they sounded more like it.

Last edited by IZ28; 04-27-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Sweating the details - Camaro exhaust note