2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limited.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Once you've determined that power and gearing are similar, it boils down to the drag coefficient. The article in this thread says that Camaro's is 0.37. This thread on Camaro5 indicates that Camaro SS is 0.35 and the V6 is 0.36.

This page says that Challenger's is 0.353.

0.35 vs 0.37 is enough to make a few MPH difference. Does anyone know which figures for Camaro are correct?

Now this is the kind of info I want to read in this thread. What about frontal area differences between the Camaro and the Challenger? Can a car with a .37 drag coeficient be more slippery from a top speed perspective than a .35 car if the aforementioned .37 car has a smaller frontal area?

Of course if the SS is .35 and the Challenger is .35, then barring some aerodynamic thing that can't be detected by untrained eye, it's looking like 173mph Challenger means a 173mph delimited Camaro isn't out of the question.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Now this is the kind of info I want to read in this thread. What about frontal area differences between the Camaro and the Challenger? Can a car with a .37 drag coeficient be more slippery from a top speed perspective than a .35 car if the aforementioned .37 car has a smaller frontal area?
Frontal area! I knew I was forgetting something in the drag equation.

My guess is that the Challenger has a bit more frontal area. I don't have numbers, though.

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Of course if the SS is .35 and the Challenger is .35, then barring some aerodynamic thing that can't be detected by untrained eye, it's looking like 173mph Challenger means a 173mph delimited Camaro isn't out of the question.
Such an undetectable aerodynamic thing would reveal itself in the drag coefficient. We just need to find out which Cd is correct and then determine the frontal area.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM

JakeRobb, I would guess the same thing re the Challenger's frontal area - probably a skosh larger than the Camaro's.

I suppose you are right about cd revealing any aerodymanic quirk that would decrease top speed. I was thinking about how an early 3rd gen T/A looks less slippery than a 4th gen T/A, but the 3rd gen is actually better for top speed. But of course, now that I think about it further, an early 3rd gen T/A has a lower cd than a 4th gen T/A.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Great story, but that 155-160 was more likely 120-130 at best.

The 2 speed powerglide would be toast at anything above 120, and that's being extremely generous.

Giving the benefit that you perhaps upped your Vette L79 from it's maximum gross 350 horse rating (about 250-275 by today's measurement) to the level of an L76's 365 rating (still under 300 hp by today's standards), which is on par with the actual horsepower of the Z28 of that year (rated at 290, actually put out about 350, again under 300 horses today). With the 4 speed manual (without the extreme slippage automatics back then had), and 1967 era aerodynamics the Z28 topped out at 140. Although the Z28 has a 3.73 versus your 3.08, the slippage of the powerglide automatic wouldn't bring you anywhere near that neighborhood.

My first car was a 1968, 327 4 barrel Camaro coupe with a 2 speed powerglide my uncle gave me that my dad and I rebuilt. We redid the trenny and engine. My dad who at the time, while a trucker was also a licensed mechanic that specialized on Cheverolet. If I remember, it had a 3.07 axle (both 3.07 & 3.08 were available... go figure) & topped out at about 115.

Plus, you got extremely lucky with the CHP officer. I know quite a few, and they all are very cool guys and car enthusiasts, and I got out of alot of tickets on professional courtesy, but I know them well enough that they'd take a kid running a car anywhere near that fast to the local "compound", impound the car, and give a car to the parents.

Still it was still a great story.
Thanks Just to clarify, the powerglide I had wasn't stock, and came out of the same drag Coevette that the engine did. I caught a glimpse of the patro
man's windshield mounted red light thinking it was a motorcycle going the other direction! The officer said he didn't hear my engine at first, but the massive amount of air my engine was sucking in, and what the car was displacing. He told me he was turned away from the road standing next to his Crown Vic, and by the time he turned to see what he was hearing my Camaro blew past and he said he had no idea what it was. He almost called it in as a racecar on the highway because it sounded like a NASCAR to him( mostly due to 2.5" 1-chamber FLOWMASTERS dumped straight before the axle) . The logic behind our estimate of 155-160 was that I had the engine at about 7300 rpm, as it continued to climb until I lifted ( 7300 rpm was what it read the last time I checked), and that his Crown Vic hit the limiter wall @ 138 mph. At that point he said my car was pulling away from him like he was sitting still, and then he lost me over the horizon. I lifted a braked for traffic shortly before he called for a roadblock!

As far as drag coeffecient I understand frontal area is needed for proper calculation, but if you lower a car substantially does that not also reduce drag?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Speeding ANYWHERE in Ohio is generally crazy! Especially if you have a Michigan plate....some of those troopers WILL pull Michigan-plated cars over for doing 7 over.
Vice-Versa to you Ohio-ains...... In Michigan, Ohio lisence plated cars aren't exactly welcome..... Especially during college football season
Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Logansneo
As far as drag coeffecient I understand frontal area is needed for proper calculation, but if you lower a car substantially does that not also reduce drag?
Lowering a car would make a slight reduction in frontal area (less exposed tire), and can change the way air flows around the car (which would be represented as part of the Cd).
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Logansneo
I got a ticket in my 67 Camaro for what the CHP officer and I could only guess was between 155-160 mph on California Highway 99 just south of Chowchilla, Ca. when I was 17. I had an L79 327 out of a 67 Corvette with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, 2-speed powerglide, and a posi rear end with 3.08 gears. I was doing top speed for so long that when I finally lifted for traffic I almost couldn't control my right leg enough to brake, it was jittering so much! Quite exciting but a very good lesson in speed on public roads.

The officer was pissed, obviously, but after asking me WHY I was going so fast, with my answer being "I'm just a stupid kid, sir....I just wanted to see how fast she'd go", his very next request was to see what was under the hood! I found out that day it IS possible to be exhilarated, proud, and absolutely scared $#!tless all at the same time.

As far as the top speed on the 2010 SS, with the bigger, heavier Challenger SRT-8 geared so closely to the SS (in overall gearing) and it being able to attain 173 mph on the autobahn via Motor Trend, I don't see why the Camaro couldn't at least match that, unlimited.
great story And despite Guy's criticism, with your explanation afterword, I believe you.

150+ wasn't bad at all in my Impala. It has a huge frontal area, but it also has only .34 Cd and a long wheelbase. It had wide speed rated tires, a lowered suspension, and added power. I hit 150+ on 2 separate occasions on a long stretch of interstate near where I live. I've only been caught going 100+ once, but I was in my Mom's car that had a 130mph governor.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM

It isn't all that unheard of. A friend of mine who posts here every once and a while buried the needle in his modified 4th gen on a straight stretch of 2 lane road up in Michigan's thumb.

My philosophy is, if you're going to do it make sure the only life you're putting at risk is your own. If you're dumb enough to take it to 150 and beyond on a curvy or non-glass-smooth stretch of road, the only person you can hurt is yourself....
I agree.

The only issue is the one poor person who happens to pop up because the guy flying at 150 wasn't paying attention for only a second or so, perhaps around a bend or hidden behind a rise in the road.

To say one should drive that fast on a public road is a given..... and in my case, I'd be a BIG hypocrite since I've done it... and know 155-160 in a 4th gen is a All-hands-on-deck affair.

However, I don't want to see ANYONE wind up dead, or just as bad, a parapalegic for the rest of their life.... innocent family on a drive or the person doing the run.

My reccomendation (a plea actually) is that you don't do anything like this unless you have a road that is close to perfect (again, straight, smooth, traffic and wildlife free, and at least a couple miles long) as possible.

Any 4th gen V8 can reach 140 in a short distance on a regualr freeway in between groupings of traffic, and can handle the speed and braking easily

But that extra 15+ mph is a whole different catagory, requiring a whole different type of road.

I may have disagreements with some of ya here, but I rather keep arguing with ya instead of reading about ya.

Speeding ANYWHERE in Ohio is generally crazy! Especially if you have a Michigan plate....some of those troopers WILL pull Michigan-plated cars over for doing 7 over.

I just read your signature, I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
Ohio has been ****-land for speeders since the 1970s. They frequently exercise the right to pull over anyone going less than 5 mph over the speed limit... especially if you have out of state plates.

Originally Posted by AdioSS
great story And despite Guy's criticism, with your explanation afterword, I believe you.

150+ wasn't bad at all in my Impala. It has a huge frontal area, but it also has only .34 Cd and a long wheelbase. It had wide speed rated tires, a lowered suspension, and added power. I hit 150+ on 2 separate occasions on a long stretch of interstate near where I live. I've only been caught going 100+ once, but I was in my Mom's car that had a 130mph governor.
No criticism was given. I simply stated why that speed of 155-160 was highly unlikely based on the information given. I didn't critisize the guy, and in fact he actually said he believed he went that fast, not that he had dead on accuarate speed measurements of a special speedometer (the 67's speedometer only went up to 120). At the same time, I didn't doubt his story and in fact coimplemented it. If he didn't take offence, I don't think anyone else should.

About your own top speed.

If I recall, you have a Impala SS which has a natural top speed of about 145 mph. Between some simple mods, and the fact that I believe there is a speed governer that can be removed with a simple chip, going over 150 in an aerodynamic early-mid 90s Impala SS is easily done. The Caprices the CHPs were running had a top speed that varied between 145 and 148 in testing as I recall. Again, getting one over 150 is easily done, and good mods (intake, exhaust, tuning) could take one close to 155 since it has a similar drag coefficient to a 4th gen Camaro (believe it or not!!).

One last thing.

Early in this thread, a poster voiced a refusal about going extremely fast in a car as heavy as the new Camaro.

Actually, you WANT something that has some heft to it when you are moving along at 150 plus. Things like crosswind, pebbles, minute dips and rises in the road will convince you of that in a big hurry, especially to those who have actually driven at that speed.

A fox Mustang was a horror above 135. Yet, my SC felt better at 140 than it did at 80. I've read plenty from people who have ran their Impala SS at top speed who comment at it's stability where at the same speed in my Z28, my attention was cranked up to 110%.

As long as the new Camaro has sufficient downward force, I expect it to be light years more stable than the 4th gen Camaro at 155. The SRT Challenger has been reported to be stable near it's top speed as well.

Heft isn't an enemy when you are traveling that fast as long as aerodynamics and a planted suspension are done up right.

Last edited by guionM; 04-18-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by guionM

To say one should drive that fast on a public road is a given.....
I'm assuming you meant "shouldn't".
Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Name:  3b71c3a6.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  18.6 KB

B
Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033

B
Did you go out and do that just for us? Sweet.....CRAZY....but sweet!

P.S. To all moderators, everything from this moment forward CAN and WILL be held against you in a court of law!

And I promise to stop sharing stories from my childhood...where I come from this is considered contributing to delinquency!

Last edited by Logansneo; 04-19-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033

B

So you're doing 145 and taking a picture? You're either really stupid or the car's on a lift or there's another fool involved who instead of being "safely" (ok maybe it wouldn't matter anyways) belted in, has decided to put his life at risk and distract you by taking a close-up...

Just brilliant.

Oh by the way, you'd go faster if the gas tank was near empty and the car was yellow.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by trm0002
So you're doing 145 and taking a picture? You're either really stupid or the car's on a lift or there's another fool involved who instead of being "safely" (ok maybe it wouldn't matter anyways) belted in, has decided to put his life at risk and distract you by taking a close-up...

Just brilliant.
hahaha, exactly what I was thinking. When I'm going 145mph, I'm definatly not thinking "Oh I should take a pic of this for the camaro guys" or "hey terrified passenger next to me, do you mind taking a picture of the speedometer"
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by trm0002

Just brilliant.

Oh by the way, you'd go faster if the gas tank was near empty and the car was yellow.
Or it could be on a dyno.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 AM

thats definately not on a dyno. i dont know of any dynos wherethey will let you do that.

Quick Reply: Speed limited.......