2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limited.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM

I got a ticket in my 67 Camaro for what the CHP officer and I could only guess was between 155-160 mph on California Highway 99 just south of Chowchilla, Ca. when I was 17. I had an L79 327 out of a 67 Corvette with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, 2-speed powerglide, and a posi rear end with 3.08 gears. I was doing top speed for so long that when I finally lifted for traffic I almost couldn't control my right leg enough to brake, it was jittering so much! Quite exciting but a very good lesson in speed on public roads.

The officer was pissed, obviously, but after asking me WHY I was going so fast, with my answer being "I'm just a stupid kid, sir....I just wanted to see how fast she'd go", his very next request was to see what was under the hood! I found out that day it IS possible to be exhilarated, proud, and absolutely scared $#!tless all at the same time.

As far as the top speed on the 2010 SS, with the bigger, heavier Challenger SRT-8 geared so closely to the SS (in overall gearing) and it being able to attain 173 mph on the autobahn via Motor Trend, I don't see why the Camaro couldn't at least match that, unlimited.

Last edited by Logansneo; 04-16-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by whizkid89
a man i recently talked to said the manual SS get's up to 170 mph.
That man lied to you.

Originally Posted by Logansneo
The officer was pissed, obviously, but after asking me WHY I was going so fast, with my answer being "I'm just a stupid kid, sir....I just wanted to see how fast she'd go", his very next request was to see what was under the hood! I found out that day it IS possible to be exhilarated, proud, and absolutely scared $#!tless all at the same time.
That's great!

As far as the top speed on the 2010 SS, with the bigger, heavier Challenger SRT-8 geared so closely to the SS (in overall gearing) and it being able to attain 173 mph on the autobahn via Motor Trend, I don't see why the Camaro couldn't at least match that, unlimited.
Once you've determined that power and gearing are similar, it boils down to the drag coefficient. The article in this thread says that Camaro's is 0.37. This thread on Camaro5 indicates that Camaro SS is 0.35 and the V6 is 0.36.

This page says that Challenger's is 0.353.

0.35 vs 0.37 is enough to make a few MPH difference. Does anyone know which figures for Camaro are correct?

Last edited by JakeRobb; 04-17-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM

would something like the ground effects package (which is functional) help with the drag coefficient?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
would something like the ground effects package (which is functional) help with the drag coefficient?
It would almost certainly change the drag coefficient, but probably not for the better. In most cases, functional ground effects reduce lift at the expense of drag. Without having specific data on this kit, though, all we can do is guess.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM

i guess your right. it is causing the car to be pushed down. i figured in a way it would make it more aerodynamic.

it wouldnt help for the top speed but it sure would help it handle/steer better at top speed.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Disciple

There aren't any tracks around here that a 155 MPH speed limiter will slow me down on.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

0.35 vs 0.37 is enough to make a few MPH difference. Does anyone know which figures for Camaro are correct?
Don't know the answer to your question but you'll also need frontal area to get total drag.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

it is causing the car to be pushed down.
Again, we don't know the specifics of the ground effects kit. We can only guess that the above is true.

i figured in a way it would make it more aerodynamic.
What does "more aerodynamic" mean? That's like saying that one car has "more handling" than another. I think you're trying to say that you thought there would be less drag, but that's not what those words mean.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 PM

more aerodynamic with the ground effects, as opposed to the camaro without the ground effects. and aerodynamic as in how smoothly does air pass by it(less drag)
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM

I got a ticket in my 67 Camaro for what the CHP officer and I could only guess was between 155-160 mph on California Highway 99 just south of Chowchilla, Ca. when I was 17. I had an L79 327 out of a 67 Corvette with a 600 CFM Edelbrock, 2-speed powerglide, and a posi rear end with 3.08 gears. I was doing top speed for so long that when I finally lifted for traffic I almost couldn't control my right leg enough to brake, it was jittering so much! Quite exciting but a very good lesson in speed on public roads.

Great story, but that 155-160 was more likely 120-130 at best.

The 2 speed powerglide would be toast at anything above 120, and that's being extremely generous.

Giving the benefit that you perhaps upped your Vette L79 from it's maximum gross 350 horse rating (about 250-275 by today's measurement) to the level of an L76's 365 rating (still under 300 hp by today's standards), which is on par with the actual horsepower of the Z28 of that year (rated at 290, actually put out about 350, again under 300 horses today). With the 4 speed manual (without the extreme slippage automatics back then had), and 1967 era aerodynamics the Z28 topped out at 140. Although the Z28 has a 3.73 versus your 3.08, the slippage of the powerglide automatic wouldn't bring you anywhere near that neighborhood.

My first car was a 1968, 327 4 barrel Camaro coupe with a 2 speed powerglide my uncle gave me that my dad and I rebuilt. We redid the trenny and engine. My dad who at the time, while a trucker was also a licensed mechanic that specialized on Cheverolet. If I remember, it had a 3.07 axle (both 3.07 & 3.08 were available... go figure) & topped out at about 115.

Plus, you got extremely lucky with the CHP officer. I know quite a few, and they all are very cool guys and car enthusiasts, and I got out of alot of tickets on professional courtesy, but I know them well enough that they'd take a kid running a car anywhere near that fast to the local "compound", impound the car, and give a car to the parents.

Still it was still a great story.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM

shoot down the guys story
Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
All internet egos aside, why would you ever want to go faster than 155mph?

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
not to sound mean or anything.......

...but what about:

"......we know there are a lot of people out there that THINK they can handle a car at 170 -- when in reality most cannot!......"

The simple fact is that people should never try driving at these speeds on any public road - -and frankly, most people (and some journalists..) "think" they drive better than they really do......

GUARANTEED:

>>>>a vehicle crash at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour will ALWAYS be 'spectacular' -- and I do not mean that in a 'good' sense.......
In all honsety, I've learned to take anyone's story about running above 150 mph on a public road with a grain of salt and a quiet chuckle because you know at least 75% of them are fancyful exaggerations at best. 15% scare the begeezus out of me because they confuse being crazy (in a good way) with being downright morons (in a bad way) and try to drive at that speed with other drivers on the road, or on roads with bends (BOTH Scott and myself will call anyone who drives on the Pennsylvania Turnpike at 150+ mph a utter moron... both of us are from towns at the turnpike exits and are extremely familiar with it... and how traveled it is).

Handling [i]any[i] vehicle at that speed is a whole different ballgame, and unless you have a long, flat, smooth, desserted, 2 mile streach of road, I simply do not support ANYONE attempting running a vehicle that fast.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
In all honsety, I've learned to take anyone's story about running above 150 mph on a public road with a grain of salt and a quiet chuckle because you know at least 75% of them are fancyful exaggerations at best. 15% scare the begeezus out of me because they confuse being crazy (in a good way) with being downright morons (in a bad way) and try to drive at that speed with other drivers on the road, or on roads with bends
It isn't all that unheard of. A friend of mine who posts here every once and a while buried the needle in his modified 4th gen on a straight stretch of 2 lane road up in Michigan's thumb.

My philosophy is, if you're going to do it make sure the only life you're putting at risk is your own. If you're dumb enough to take it to 150 and beyond on a curvy or non-glass-smooth stretch of road, the only person you can hurt is yourself....
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

about 2002 i was driving back and forth from NY to MI quite often. there is a stretch of I 80 east of cleavland that is strait as an arrow and has 30 foot walls on both sides..

it was about 7 am and there wasnt another car around..well i went after it in MY G92 LB9 GTA..buried the speedo at 145 and kept it buried for about 5 minutes,, coverd about 12 miles..fun as hell till the end of the walls when there was a state patrol officer sitting there..he pulled out and i let off and got over and shut my car off..waited about 2 minutes for him to catch me..

comes to the window and says "son do you know how fast you were going?" i said "no officer i was keeping my eyes on the road".."i clocked you at 147"

he arrested me and i got a $1000 reciept from the ohio state patrol..

noone was around, ive traveled the road many times.

did it again after i built my carbed, cammed LT4, did 178...bouncing the 6,000 rpm revlimiter..got away that time lol
Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MY91Y84
about 2002 i was driving back and forth from NY to MI quite often. there is a stretch of I 80 east of cleavland that is strait as an arrow and has 30 foot walls on both sides..

it was about 7 am and there wasnt another car around..well i went after it in MY G92 LB9 GTA..buried the speedo at 145 and kept it buried for about 5 minutes,, coverd about 12 miles..fun as hell till the end of the walls when there was a state patrol officer sitting there..he pulled out and i let off and got over and shut my car off..waited about 2 minutes for him to catch me..

comes to the window and says "son do you know how fast you were going?" i said "no officer i was keeping my eyes on the road".."i clocked you at 147"

he arrested me and i got a $1000 reciept from the ohio state patrol..

noone was around, ive traveled the road many times.

did it again after i built my carbed, cammed LT4, did 178...bouncing the 6,000 rpm revlimiter..got away that time lol
i know exactly where you are talking about. there is a state highway patrol station onthat turnpike. maybe not the best place for it as far as cops but definately one of the safest places as far as traffic condition and road smoothness.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MY91Y84
Speeding ANYWHERE in Ohio is generally crazy! Especially if you have a Michigan plate....some of those troopers WILL pull Michigan-plated cars over for doing 7 over.

I just read your signature, I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Quick Reply: Speed limited.......