2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sad News

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Sounds to me like the Mustang LX 5.0 stole the Z28's formula.
And who says Camaro was always behind the times compared to Mustang?!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Disciple

Here's a from left field flame suit and armor on idea.

The original Z/28 had a "small" motor dictated by the rules yet came with the "good" hardware. Since the HP race is getting stupid, especially when one goes to track events and sees many street cars putting down a lot more HP than race cars, and the V6 is rumored to deliver near LT1 performance, how about a V6 based Z/28 .... all the good stuff, suspension, brakes, seats, etc. from the SS in a less powerful configuration.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Prominent Member

No....never
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
No....never
Okay, I'll accept that.

How about this?

"There is nothing in the Z/28 heritage that calls for it to get the biggest, baddest motor offered in a Camaro ... in fact there would be no surprise if some other model Camaro was faster in the 1/4 mile."
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Not really.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the old LX formula, but I'd consider it FAR from a comprehensive performance package, in the same vein as what we're talking about for the Z/28. It was essentially a "motor in a box", and I DO mean box.

It was thrilling to row through the gears, but the handling just wasn't there, it was squirrely at high speed and it's brakes were kinda scary.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Okay, I'll accept that.

How about this?

"There is nothing in the Z/28 heritage that calls for it to get the biggest, baddest motor offered in a Camaro ... in fact there would be no surprise if some other model Camaro was faster in the 1/4 mile."
Interesting.....

Z/28 is not a one trick pony (ie., 1/4 mile only). But it's focus as a total performance package (during the years in which that focus was actually there), made it the Camaro 1/4 mile king. And historically, it usually had the baddest biggest motor in the line up as well.

I like the idea of a V6 performance package, Art. Certainly not a Z/28 though.

Here's a thought. What if Z/28 is as we describe, NA 450++ hp smallblock, all the road racer stuff, for a reasonable price (say mid 30's or so).

And what if a version of the SC LS9/LSA, with 500++ hp, is packaged as a ZL1, at a substantially higher price?

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-05-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Well, Most all Z28s I can think of had hardware over looks.

The 1st gen Z28 was low keyed (labels and an optional hood) as was the 2nd gen prior to it's return in '77 1/2 (rims and badging). Compared to the later IROC and the ricer wing on the Z28's 2nd return from the dead, the early 3rd gen Z28 was relatively low keyed next to other Z28s.

Are you serious!?! The 1st gen Z/28s low keyed!?! Don't tell me you're one of these morons that think the Camaro SS had the runway (racing) stripes and not the Z/28? The only other 1st gen to get the runway stripes was the 69 Indy Pace car. They were exclusive to Z/28.

Here's a from left field flame suit and armor on idea.

The original Z/28 had a "small" motor dictated by the rules yet came with the "good" hardware. Since the HP race is getting stupid, especially when one goes to track events and sees many street cars putting down a lot more HP than race cars, and the V6 is rumored to deliver near LT1 performance, how about a V6 based Z/28 .... all the good stuff, suspension, brakes, seats, etc. from the SS in a less powerful configuration.
I'm going to have to kill you for even suggesting that.
How about this?

Not true. For the 1 millionth time. The 1968 1/4 mile world champion was a Z/28 and it bested many a SS396 in its day. Granted it probably would have had a hard time against a ZL1 or Yenko, but just because it was a small-block does not mean it had "smaller" performance.
Originally Posted by Z284ever
Interesting.....

Z/28 is not a one trick pony (ie., 1/4 mile only). But it's focus as a total performance package (during the years in which that focus was actually there), made it the Camaro 1/4 mile king. And historically, it usually had the baddest biggest motor in the line up as well.

I like the idea of a V6 performance package, Art. Certainly not a Z/28 though.

Here's a thought. What if Z/28 is as we describe, NA 450++ hp smallblock, all the road racer stuff, for a reasonable price (say mid 30's or so).

And what if a version of the SC LS9/LSA, with 500++ hp, is packaged as a ZL1, at a substantially higher price?
I'm getting sick of the ZL-1 talk. The ZL-1 was and should always be a big block. Unless you guys are suggesting dropping a big block in this Camaro... please... drop the discussion.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'm getting sick of the ZL-1 talk. The ZL-1 was and should always be a big block. Unless you guys are suggesting dropping a big block in this Camaro... please... drop the discussion.
Why? SS no longer means big block 396. Shelby isnt the 427 or whatever it was.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Are you serious!?! The 1st gen Z/28s low keyed!?! Don't tell me you're one of these morons that think the Camaro SS had the runway (racing) stripes and not the Z/28? The only other 1st gen to get the runway stripes was the 69 Indy Pace car. They were exclusive to Z/28.

Yeah, I'm alittle surprised by some of Guy's posts in this thread. I'm considering sending out a search party for him. I suspect he may be hog tied with duct tape in his closet, and some newbie is posting from his computer.

Don't worry, we're comin' for ya, buddy!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Why? SS no longer means big block 396. Shelby isnt the 427 or whatever it was.
SS never meant 396. The first SS Camaros were small-block 350s. (The big blocks came later and SS always was available in both small and big block configureations.) Shelbys weren't all big blocks either. And furthermore, GM's most recent ZL-1 was a limited edition aluminum big block displacing 454 cubes.

The only reason ZL-1 has been suggested up to now is because it sounds cool and has heritage. However it doesn't have the heritage, branding and marking value of "Z/28". If such a Camaro is ever built, GM would be fools to market it as ZL1 instead of Z28.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Well, I don't think enough people have quite given our Podcast a fair listen much less take less than one minute to interact with it or a few minutes to tune in once a week. We have been doing the show for well over a year, we are offering a way to really get people voices heard, literally. We are not sure why more people don't take us up on that offer considering that it is a direct line to us as well as all our our listeners, and there are hundreds each week.

This hot topic here is also a hot one with us, and since it is so prominent right now, we thought that people might want to merge their thoughts here with our thoughts in the show.

That's all.
I listen to it almost weekly

SS never meant 396. The first SS Camaros were small-block 350s. (The big blocks came later and SS always was available in both small and big block configureations.) Shelbys weren't all big blocks either. And furthermore, GM's most recent ZL-1 was a limited edition aluminum big block displacing 454 cubes.

The only reason ZL-1 has been suggested up to now is because it sounds cool and has heritage. However it doesn't have the heritage, branding and marking value of "Z/28". If such a Camaro is ever built, GM would be fools to market it as ZL1 instead of Z28.
You know what I meant. The big blocks are pretty much gone from the muscle cars. The ZL-1 was the closest thing to a Shelby, NOT a Z28. The Z/28 was Boss competition. I was lucky enough to see a 4th gen ZL-1 I really thought it was a current 427 not a 454. I could be wrong on that though.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM

For the 1 millionth time. The 1968 1/4 mile world champion was a Z/28 and it bested many a SS396 in its day. Granted it probably would have had a hard time against a ZL1 or Yenko, but just because it was a small-block does not mean it had "smaller" performance.
Back on Page 7, I said in my post (102) that my Dad's '69 SS350 could "hang with" the SS396's, but the Z/28's would easily beat him . Now, it didn't always stay that way ... he built up a pretty stout motor, and then was running ahead of Z/28's in the 1/4 mile, but stock for stock, he always told me the Z/28's were the ones to really look out for .

The ZL-1 was, and still could be a 427 . Who cares if it's "packaged" in a smaller block, it's still big-block displacement, big-block performance . I would give GM the biggest gold star if they A) build a Z/28 that menaces the GT500, and B) build a (albeit, high-priced) 427 ZL-1 that blows away all .
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM

lol yeah there was nothing "low keyed" about a 1st gen Z28.

Cowl hood
Front spoiler
rear spoiler
Chrome Shark gills
Z/28 badging wich replaced the bow tie and was the only badging that was offset
optional RS package but I perfered without.
Racing stripes

The only thing you couldnt get was convertible or auto which there was no reason for anyway.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I was lucky enough to see a 4th gen ZL-1 I really thought it was a current 427 not a 454. I could be wrong on that though.
It was a Gen-III Small-block V8 . And yeah, 427 c.i. .
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM

A "true" ZL-1 would be an absolute stripper - dog dish hubcaps, bench seat, column shifter, no carpeting - and have the biggest, most exotic motor available.

Of course, it would also cost 2-3X as much as an average Camaro, and sit on dealers lots for a couple of years, until it could be sold at a huge discount.

Quick Reply: The Sad News