2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Mark LaNeve: Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
"..........if it has a big honkin' V8 that gets good gas mileage -- and blows every other car in its class away on the drag strip -- and it is best-in-class on a road course........

..............do you REALLY care how we market it? (I keep getting emails talking about commercials with wall -to - wall burnouts -- so you want us to preach to the choir????)"
It would be much easier to feel at ease if we could go to the dealer and put our fears to rest. See/hear that big honkin V8, see that window sticker within reach, and with items listed that pastes a huge smile on our faces!..
When I do, I'll reserve my table at the Tastey Crow, and love every bite with my Camaro parked in the drive...

Last edited by 90rocz; 03-24-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 PM

I'll eat Big Bird if you get one with a V8 in my driveway for under $33K by March.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 AM

I think the premium pricing thing is being blown way way way out of proportion .
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I'm not worried

I don't think we'll be disappointed when it finally comes out, but I do believe the Camaro needs to be seen by the public as more than just a single option pony car. I'm glad to see that, because it should make the transition easier in the future for it to move into other areas of fuel efficiency and still retain the image of a powerful figure.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
People keep bringing up the Mustang and it's sales. Yes, Ford sells A LOT of V-6 mustangs, but when was the last time you saw a V-6 in a Mustang Commercial? I don't recall ever seeing one.
The recent Mustang commercials here are a guy dreaming about doing donuts in a Mustang Pony Edition (up-level exterior, V6 engine)
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
You ought to drive one of these new V6 cars before you make judgement. My 2007 CTS is a ball to drive....and its far short of the HP of the newest direct injection V6. It revs...and revs quickly.
As long as the V8 is an option what does it matter how GM markets the car? And as mentioned earlier...the LS2 deserved to die. The new V6 can fill its place comfortably....and after that the 6.2 with MDA should be the next option on the ladder.

I think the V6 will be a real nice car for a lot of people.
With 300 hp it's going to kick a lot of car's butts.
What I was meaning by my post is that I don't care if I don't see a single ad for the V8. If they spend every cent of the marketing budget on the V6 that is fine by me.
As long as that V8 option is still on the order sheet.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
The recent Mustang commercials here are a guy dreaming about doing donuts in a Mustang Pony Edition (up-level exterior, V6 engine)
That's a first! Haven't seen it yet!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:13 PM

i think that the base V8 Camaro will be priced somwhere between the mustang GT and the G8 GT.. considering the G8 is more car, there's no way the base V8 Camaro will cost more than it, IMO
Old 03-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Let just have this:

Base Camaro: 260 hp V6
RS Camaro: 300+hp V6
Z28 Camaro: 400hp V8
SS Camaro: 430hp V8

I'd think we'd all be happy.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM

not a muscle car

Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark LaNeve: Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car

Posted Mar 22nd 2008 9:01AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

The hits just keep on coming for fans of the Chevy Camaro. Just yesterday, we quoted Bob Lutz as suggesting that the Camaro could get a four-cylinder engine option. Now we hear that Mark LaNeve, VP of sales and marketing for GM North America, says that, "We won't position it as a muscle car," speaking again of the 2010 Camaro. Sure, you could spend hours debating the terms "muscle car" and "pony car", but we're pretty sure that very few ever thought of the Camaro as a fuel-efficient option. But, that's exactly how GM will position it. "The mainstream positioning will be fuel economy, design and a V-6," says LaNeve.

The truth seems to be that GM just cannot afford to sell a couple hundred thousand Camaros a year with V8 engines rated at around 20 miles per gallon combined. But, before V8-lovers get too upset, remember that it is the fuel efficient engine options which make the fire-breathing V8 an option at all. Without mainstream options like either a direct-injected V6 or even a small turbocharged 4, there is simply no way that Chevrolet could ever reintroduce the Camaro at all.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ForYourMalice
No. It will be the LS3. Scott all but came out and said it. The LS2 is being phased out.
no he didnt.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Ok -- Calm down.......

..........if it has a big honkin' V8 that gets good gas mileage -- and blows every other car in its class away on the drag strip -- and it is best-in-class on a road course........
big honkin V8? are you suggesting that the camaro will have a bigger engine than people here are discussing? i thought they were going with something like the LS3 which displaces only 6.2 liters? are you saying theres plans to put a large engine in the 5th gen, that would be SWEET!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
As long as a V8 is available
For an enthusiast like me, thats all i care about. To the others that just want a sporty looking car, i hope they sell tons of base models.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
big honkin V8? are you suggesting that the camaro will have a bigger engine than people here are discussing? i thought they were going with something like the LS3 which displaces only 6.2 liters? are you saying theres plans to put a large engine in the 5th gen, that would be SWEET!
maybe thats PROOF of the big block coming back!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ctsls7
Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark LaNeve: Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car

Posted Mar 22nd 2008 9:01AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

The hits just keep on coming for fans of the Chevy Camaro. Just yesterday, we quoted Bob Lutz as suggesting that the Camaro could get a four-cylinder engine option. Now we hear that Mark LaNeve, VP of sales and marketing for GM North America, says that, "We won't position it as a muscle car," speaking again of the 2010 Camaro. Sure, you could spend hours debating the terms "muscle car" and "pony car", but we're pretty sure that very few ever thought of the Camaro as a fuel-efficient option. But, that's exactly how GM will position it. "The mainstream positioning will be fuel economy, design and a V-6," says LaNeve.

The truth seems to be that GM just cannot afford to sell a couple hundred thousand Camaros a year with V8 engines rated at around 20 miles per gallon combined. But, before V8-lovers get too upset, remember that it is the fuel efficient engine options which make the fire-breathing V8 an option at all. Without mainstream options like either a direct-injected V6 or even a small turbocharged 4, there is simply no way that Chevrolet could ever reintroduce the Camaro at all.

There was very little news in this article, and I don't see how it's a "hit" for fans of the Camaro.

It's pretty obvious looking at gas prices that you have to sell on affordability and usability and not just muscle. The muscle will sell itself.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Mark LaNeve: Camaro won't be positioned as a muscle car