2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Lutz Interview: Camaro began as "pure concept", mum on Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Lutz Interview: Camaro began as "pure concept", mum on Z28

It’s hard to interview General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz without at least mentioning the Chevrolet Camaro. The car represents a huge investment for the automaker, and more recently a point of some controversy. In an exclusive interview with Leftlane, we asked Mr. Lutz about the Camaro’s journey from concept to production, timing of the [...]

More...
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 PM

".....you are going to have cars that the public desperately wants and you’re going to have to say to the public, ‘I’m sorry, I can’t give you one of those."

That doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy" at all.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Take note of the comment from Lutz...

“But that’s the point we’ve always been making, that with fuel economy mandates without a concomitant increase in gasoline prices, you are going to have cars that the public desperately wants and you’re going to have to say to the public, ‘I’m sorry, I can’t give you one of those.’”
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM

You certainly HAVE to read the entire interview to capture MaxBob's verbal intent. I couldn't make heads or tails of the snippet, but I get him on the full read. It's about CAFE, not Z28s.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

No Z/28, then I'm not interested.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM

I know the Z28 name carries a lot of heritage, but I don't understand the "either I get a Z28 to be the happiest person in the world or I'm not getting a Camaro at all" mentality. Get an SS, upgrade the suspension, and buy your own supercharger. You'll probably spend less than what the Z28 would have cost.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Lutz said: "discourage the sale of large powerful V8s"

That's some scary stuff right there.

Bob
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ForYourMalice
I know the Z28 name carries a lot of heritage, but I don't understand the "either I get a Z28 to be the happiest person in the world or I'm not getting a Camaro at all" mentality. Get an SS, upgrade the suspension, and buy your own supercharger. You'll probably spend less than what the Z28 would have cost.
Putting a supercharger on a factory n/a engine is a long way from buying a factory s/c engine. I'm not sure what people don't get about that. Same for the suspension. I'm not buying a new car just to make a hack hot rod out of it. I'll buy something else with 500-550hp, since there are a fair amount of choices now...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

What really, really makes me laugh is that the LS3 six speed is the MOST POWERFUL Camaro ever offered in the history of the car. It's got bigger brakes, better suspension, more tire on the ground... Yet people still complain.

Get this through your whiny, rock hard heads... The market for a 500+ HP supercharged V8 is just too damn small to mess with right now. The Camaro has to hit the ground running with affordable models to be a success. I'm happy there *is* a fifth gen Camaro. You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be buying one in about 2 years when my truck payment is done. More than likely a six speed 422 horse model.

Keep in mind that the 422 horse LS3 car is *just* as powerful as the premium, top of the line Challenger. It's also lighter. The Challenger RT is 390 horse. None of the mustangs currently offered are close unless you're talking the supercharged models, and then you're in the 50k+ range.

If your outlook is "No Z-28, no Camaro" then you need your head examined.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM

I am still hoping that by taking a look at what the market wants and gas prices and all this and that, they come up with a Camaro 150-250lbs lighter, with an even better suspension and if anything 435hp. It would probably get better mileage, handle better, and would be my perfect Z/28 from the factory....

Save ridiculous 500hp supercharged motors for the Mustang, I'd rather have a car that can handle and not pay a gas guzzler tax to do so..
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I agree with what Bishop is saying. I know that a lot of people are frustrated about there being no Z/28 right off the bat. I'm one of them. But I for one was totally against a s/c Z/28 because in my mind, I did't feel like that's what the Z/28 is. I don't want to get off track, so that's another topic for another thread. I'm just happy that I have the option to buy a new 2010 Camaro. If there's no Z/28, well I'll upgrade the motor and suspension on an SS when I'm ready to buy. Lets just be glad that we all will have the opportunity to buy a new Camaro in the very near future and that GM is putting a lot of effort into getting this car right.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
What really, really makes me laugh is that the LS3 six speed is the MOST POWERFUL Camaro ever offered in the history of the car. It's got bigger brakes, better suspension, more tire on the ground... Yet people still complain.

Get this through your whiny, rock hard heads... The market for a 500+ HP supercharged V8 is just too damn small to mess with right now. The Camaro has to hit the ground running with affordable models to be a success. I'm happy there *is* a fifth gen Camaro. You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be buying one in about 2 years when my truck payment is done. More than likely a six speed 422 horse model.

Keep in mind that the 422 horse LS3 car is *just* as powerful as the premium, top of the line Challenger. It's also lighter. The Challenger RT is 390 horse. None of the mustangs currently offered are close unless you're talking the supercharged models, and then you're in the 50k+ range.

If your outlook is "No Z-28, no Camaro" then you need your head examined.
Im impressed with both the LS3 and the 5th gen, Im happy with the V6 comming from Caddy and being a serious powerplant but thats not for me. what I like most is that video that showed the near 500 hp LS3 with just a cam swap.

I cant imagine no Z28. The meat and potatoes are already there. Swap for Lighter somewhat exotic parts, bump in power or not. The biggest part would be lightening up the car at a higher price point and that doesnt take away gas milege. Of course I could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by bobscogin
Lutz said: "discourage the sale of large powerful V8s"

That's some scary stuff right there.

Bob

Yes -- it is...........and he's referring to government mandated CAFE standards.

The U.S.Government is passing laws that tell you what you can drive. Rather than allow the free market to determine what will be built and sold, they'll mandate it.

If this upsets you (and personally, I think it should) you need to write to every lawmaker you can find.............
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 PM

Aww man!!!

I might just purchase the SS then...Even though I was going to lease it and wait for the now almost impossible to have 2011 Z28.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by blackflag
Putting a supercharger on a factory n/a engine is a long way from buying a factory s/c engine. I'm not sure what people don't get about that. Same for the suspension. I'm not buying a new car just to make a hack hot rod out of it. I'll buy something else with 500-550hp, since there are a fair amount of choices now...
blackflag gets it .

It's not about (at least to me) the name "Z28". What it IS about is 500hp+....the closer to 556hp, the better. Like I said in another post, they can call it a Berlinetta for all I care. I'd STILL want it.

I have no interest in modding the hell (and destroying the warranty) out of a brand new car to get the power I want. I want something that will shove me back in the seat, and put a huge grin on my face, and make the person in the passenger seat say "holy ****" when I hammer it.....all the while still under factory warranty. Why? .........Why not?

I absolutely LOVE the looks of the 5th Gen. I have no problem taking a "step down" in handling from my C5 Z06 to the 5th Gen. But If I can't get AT LEAST the same (and hopefully MORE) acceleration from that 5th Gen as my Z06, then I'm not interested. I'll take the same amount of money that "bad-@ss & blown" Camaro would have cost me and either get a used C6 Z06 or a new C6 (or C7?) in a few years. If I end up having to go the Vette route I'll be trying to convince my wife she "needs" a 5th Gen for her next new car.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Lutz Interview: Camaro began as "pure concept", mum on Z28