2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Camaro and Corvette Remain in GM's Future, According to Lutz

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I have no idea what's in writing and what isn't. Does it really matter, though? This whole procedure has been special, and hardly anything is being done by the book. I think this situation warrants the special treatment, but that's beside the point: there's plenty of stuff in writing that is being ignored.
Jake, one thing you need to ask about is how is the federal government going to dispose of their shares. If the shares are sold on the open market then the U.S. taxpayer will get at least some of our money back.

If however, GM buys the shares back, then the UAW very quickly becomes the majority owner of GM at the direct expense of secured, senior debt holders and without investing a single dime.

I do believe that there are serious issues with the structure of the "package" and it is, for the most part, difficult to discuss without delving into the world of politics since the government is now the majority share holder.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
I know. I'm just saying that now that the govt. owns majority, if they see something really good start to come out of GM after the bankruptcy, who's to say they don't want to hang on to it to get more money for themselves or even sell at a higher price than what was origionally paid for it? There's a lot of power at stake here. I just dont like this situation. And I'm sorry if the threads sometimes get political. It's kinda hard to keep politics out of it now that politics own it.
I don't think anyone likes it, but the "themselves" is us - it's our money. Selling at a higher price than what they paid for it is exactly what we want them to do.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

The fact is that the government has stated publicly that they intend to sell the ownership back to GM as soon as GM can afford to buy it, and that they have no interest in running GM. They have done nothing that indicates otherwise.
Honesty and straightforwardness has never been their strong point.

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I don't think anyone likes it, but the "themselves" is us - it's our money. Selling at a higher price than what they paid for it is exactly what we want them to do.
It was our money used to bail them out. So you want the govt. to sell it back to us for more than we paid for in the first place? Wouldn't that mean the govt. would make a profit using our own money against us?

Last edited by 95firehawk; 06-01-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk

It was our money used to bail them out. So you want the govt. to sell it back to us for more than we paid for in the first place? Wouldn't that mean the govt. would make a profit using our own money against us?
thats exactly what it would mean, and thats exactly what they plan on doing to us. it sucks.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bearcat Steve
Jake, one thing you need to ask about is how is the federal government going to dispose of their shares. If the shares are sold on the open market then the U.S. taxpayer will get at least some of our money back.

If however, GM buys the shares back, then the UAW very quickly becomes the majority owner of GM at the direct expense of secured, senior debt holders and without investing a single dime.

I do believe that there are serious issues with the structure of the "package" and it is, for the most part, difficult to discuss without delving into the world of politics since the government is now the majority share holder.
If GM buys the shares back, then GM becomes the majority owner of GM. IMO, it should then be up to GM whether to put those shares up for public trading.

PM me the stuff you want to say about the structure of the package. I think we can find an acceptable way to talk about it.

Originally Posted by 95firehawk

It's hard to address these points without getting too political, but I'll try.

Regarding honesty and straightforwardness, this is a new administration. This particular administration has stated publicly that they would be much more transparent than past administrations. My initial and not-very-well-informed impression is that they are doing a decent job in that regard.

As citizens, all of the government's money is our money. When the government gets the money back from GM, it would still be our money, and it would still go towards some or all of the same things that our money goes towards, except that there would be more of it. I can't see how this is a bad thing.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Regarding honesty and straightforwardness, this is a new administration. This particular administration has stated publicly that they would be much more transparent than past administrations. My initial and not-very-well-informed impression is that they are doing a decent job in that regard.
Since I cannot and will not go into further detail...let's just say that coming from IL I can easily see history repeating itself.

As citizens, all of the government's money is our money. When the government gets the money back from GM, it would still be our money, and it would still go towards some or all of the same things that our money goes towards, except that there would be more of it. I can't see how this is a bad thing.
Didn't look at it that way...good point.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
are those little gm badges coming on the camaro like they do the other cars? thats the first thing i need to take off. the govt. motors badge.....
When those badges first appeared a few years ago, I thought that I would remove them if I bought a GM car so equipped. But I'm leaving them on our SRX, as a sign of solidarity with GM in these trying times.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM

im taking them off.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Oh, and back on topic: I still fear that we'll get gov't interference with product planning. But other than waiting 5 years to see what product comes out, the best information we have right now on that front is what Lutz and Fritz (and even Obama for that matter) are saying on the subject. And based on this currently available info, the auto task force is more concerned with a viable business structure and a new board of directors than they are with dictating the design of actual product. The people who know the product will be left in charge of the product. Which, for us car guys, is a good thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Thats great to hear so hopefully theyll make the z/28 then since they say its already been done!! At least make it for one year and then thats it for all i care as long as i get one!! Lol!! And i definitely intend to special order mine because ima need it the exact way i want it wit all the special options! But i aint trippin about them being able to run off wit my money because i aint never let anyone do that to me before so why would i start now & wit a dealer?!? Lol!! They can get tha bizness just like anyone else for that matter because if **** hit tha fan id get my money back bets believe!! Lol!! So stay strong fellow chevy riders our line hopefully will be strong enough to pull through this lil droubt its in!! Its fanbase is strong enough to do so!!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
That should put some people are least partly at ease.
Mine definately. GM has other cars that are good, but in my mind these are the ones that are solid.... wouldnt be the same without them.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM

I saw Lutz on Fox, i think it was tuesday june 2nd, and when pressed about the government dictating little cars, he said "we're still going to build Camaro's and Corvette's"
Old 06-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by azfan
I saw Lutz on Fox, i think it was tuesday june 2nd, and when pressed about the government dictating little cars, he said "we're still going to build Camaro's and Corvette's"
Ive always liked Bob Lutz for things just like this