2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pix of Camaro conducting actual track testing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gab
that last pic had the state of Victoria (Australia) license plate. wonder why...
Because that's where the car's from.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Is it wrong that I'm really becoming attached to the 'fake' headlights?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
If I'm not mistaken that is the famed Karussell turn with the concrete high banked apex. Not a place on the track that would allow an inside tire lift as the suspension would be loaded on all 4 tires in the bank. At least that's how it was on GT4

Yeah I don't know where this turn is.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM

im gonna need 4 them 2 put a wing on that thing i love the look tho!!!

buut i think a wing will look good on it!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt

look at the differing angles of road in that picture. some of the turns of a dip you can go into so you can go faster, and that pic is an example of one. so naturally the right tire is on normal road, whereas the left tire is on a more angled road.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rasputin
look at the differing angles of road in that picture. some of the turns of a dip you can go into so you can go faster, and that pic is an example of one. so naturally the right tire is on normal road, whereas the left tire is on a more angled road.
Thats right before it lifted off and traveled around the globe so fast time stood still....

But back on topic, I really am hoping we aren't seeing this top of the line supercharged model. I want big brakes, 400-420hp, and that killer stance and I am sold. If we are seeing the SS with optional brakes then I think I am in love
Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt

Cool pic I don't think I've seen it before. Looks like the same turn maybe a little further into the turn than the first Camaro pic. The GTR looks like it's on slot car rails. I wonder if the road is dipping away from the car and it's stiff suspension is holding the wheel up or it's cornering so hard that it lifted the wheel. Probably a little of both.

I wonder if another pic of the Camaro were to have been taken a few frames after the first (where the GTR seems to be) if it would have lifted the wheel a bit.

I was thinking more of the apex of the turn on the concrete where I doubt a wheel would be lifted.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

There are some things to note here.

The car is at speed and I would say a very good amount of speed. The camera just froze the car.

Second point. This corner is banked a lot more than many realize. There are two corners that are heavily banked, each with concrete on the low side. This banking ans the speed is compressing the car not a soft suspension.

Third point. The concrete is very rough and in the pictures of the left rear tire lifting a little, the car is making the transition off the banking and not the two different angles the concrete is in the last photo. If this was a video you would be seeing the car not just going through the corner but the suspension going though some rough dynamics. But that is the reason they are there.

If you have the Grand Turismo game there the ring is on it and will give you the idea of how the track is laid out and how long it really is. This may be call a race track but is not like any other race track around, Not only is it long but it is very narrow and rough. If you can make a car run fast here it will run fast anywhere,

GM learn in the 80's you can track test a car on just smooth tracks as you will end up with a 1984 Vette. Big numbers on a smooth surface but a bad set of kidneys in the real world. They kept the 84 Vette on the proving grounds so much they missed it on the shock package for the Z51. They fixed it in 1985 but the 84 is still remembered for a bone jarring ride.

Keep in mind the Cobalt SS with stock Brembo brakes ran 8.22 a very respectable time.

I expect this SS will be just over 8 min a lap while the Z/28 will break into the 7 min range when it comes to the track.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM

I am glad we are analyzing the GT-R again, but I apologize for starting this up since it was sort of a tribute to the original discussion we had when the pic came out. Anyway back on topic
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM

loving the pics, just wish one of the photographers had video camera so we can see and HEAR that beauty fly by
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by M85Iroc-Z
loving the pics, just wish one of the photographers had video camera so we can see and HEAR that beauty fly by
"BZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz *click*hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

...As the 4-banger slowly idles down and the electric motors kick in...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 PM

this camaro is glorious...I like how its going so fast around the corner that the suspension is compressed about 2 inches or so from the pics posted yesterday of the car when it was just rolling around the pits. I would love to feel the lateral/positive force load on the driver when going around that track at speed. I am green with envy.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by pickardracing
"BZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz *click*hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

...As the 4-banger slowly idles down and the electric motors kick in...
has anyone ever told you that you are a very mean-spirited individual??
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Cool pix. No pics I've seen from the Challenger look even close to this aggressive or nice, not even close.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome! I am loving everything I see.

I don't even mind the headlights.

Quick Reply: New pix of Camaro conducting actual track testing..