2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new motortrend

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM

new motortrend

just got the new motortrend and the camaro came in 3rd. the mustang beat it in every speed category. they said the camaro isn't aging as gracefully as some cars do.they said "the camaro feels like a concept car or a toy" and a car you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in. they said the ford mustang is the quickest,best handling car with the lowest base price and friendliest cockpit. the dodge challenger srt8 came in second. they ended with saying that until chevy or dodge tweaks a substantial engine,chassis or body part, the mustang gt will reign as v8 ponycar champion. iam in disbelief.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Always take whatever car magazines say with a grain of salt. They remind me of those kids in school that are always ready to jump on whatever is the new hottness and bash everything else. The Camaro has only been out for a little over a year, and the Mustang a few weeks. Its pretty dumb to say its not aging gracefully. The performance of both cars is very close and can go either way.
And even if they do want it to reign as ponycar champion. Hell, theyre waaaaayyyy overdue anyways. Let them have their time in the sun for a year or two. We have Corvettes,Cadillacs and several other things to keep us busy.

Last edited by GMRL; 06-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

If a magazine told you that Polka music was the best music on the planet, would that make it so?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
If a magazine told you that Polka music was the best music on the planet, would that make it so?
It was back in the 50's, until Elvis arrived...
Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 AM

these aren't just opinions the mustang won in every speed category their was. before my corvette i had a 1994 z28 i love chevy, and i know this has been said a million times already but the camaro HAS to lose some weight....they put one of the most potent engines the ls3 in a tank
Old 06-06-2010, 03:03 PM

The cars are very close on the numbers. They're miles apart in feel and intangibles. People gripe a lot about the Camaro's cockpit, but I love it. It's ergonomic from a clean slate, instead of tweaking "how things have always been done." Some people will like it, some people won't, so what. I like the look of our '02 Avalanche, too.

The Mustang is definately more "tossable." Push hard on my wife's '06 GT and you'll say, "Wow, that was wild!" Push hard on my '10 SS, and it'll tell you, "Yeah, so?" They get to about the same place, although my wife says she'd never take the fly-overs from the interstate to the toll roads around North Austin like I do. How much do you want to feel like your ride is about to get away from you?

The '11 Mustangs have some great engines! They've tweaked the suspensions and outright fixed the lame-oh feel of the six-cylinder. They're dramatically different from the Camaro's, although they're aimed at about the same market. I like my Camaro much better. I think that there'll be plenty of customers lined up to buy both for a long time. I'm also really curious what a good engine and a sophisticated suspension would be like on a lighter chassis. But, the Camaro will get you grins from other drivers going by in SL 500's.

I think it's like the fist-fights that break out over whether or not you should put beans in your chili. Do you like beans? If so, put in some beans.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Yes, their opinions are just that. Opinions.
However, the problem is with all the sheep that hang on every word of the editors of these magazines.
If these guys say the Mustang is better, then it must be better. Now they'll go out and buy one instead of the Camaro because of what a magaizine said.
And they'll justify their actions by pointing out their favorite magazine said it was better.

So while people like us know better, the average person does not.

And I think this is what the OP has a problem with.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Competition will only make the breed stronger and keep GM from getting comfortable. Ford has said that the 2011 is it until 2013, so no more tweaking for a while. This sets the stage for GM to address the cabin design (already being rumored), maybe tweak the handling a bit and find another 15 HP in the V8s. If they could find a way to peel out a hundred pounds that would certainly help things too. Not to mention that we have the convertible and the Z coming.

I like the content and the options that Ford has going with the Mustang, but the Camaro looks better and has the "it" factor.

I just drove the 5.0 last week, and couldn't believe that my elbow opended the backward facing console door 4 times on the test drive. Heck it took them three years to add a trunk button (which now sits on the top of the console next to the traction control in a very forgettable location). It's these sorts of quirks that keep Ford in a fog. They just don't seem to think when they design things.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 PM

The bigger problem is not that the Mustang beat the Camaro but that if it was really 3rd that means the Challenger somehow managed to best it... that seems quite unbelievable.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Motor Trend is more emotional and moody than some of my worst ex-girlfriends.

It's almost like bi-polar disorder.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Question

Originally Posted by besz28
just got the new motortrend and the camaro came in 3rd. the mustang beat it in every speed category. they said the camaro isn't aging as gracefully as some cars do.they said "the camaro feels like a concept car or a toy" and a car you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in. they said the ford mustang is the quickest,best handling car with the lowest base price and friendliest cockpit. the dodge challenger srt8 came in second. they ended with saying that until chevy or dodge tweaks a substantial engine,chassis or body part, the mustang gt will reign as v8 ponycar champion. iam in disbelief.
The new Camaro looks good and has an IRS but is 400 lbs too heavy, has driver position issues and a poor greenhouse view. All are fixable but the have lame leadership at the top of GM. I have been a chevy man for decades. Mustang after generations of losing to us is now ahead. Lighter, faster and better engineered it represents the triumph of Ford leadership over poor GM management even with a $49 billion bailout. Ford took no tax money; they just put in a sharp CEO from Boeing who is smart, understands enthusists needs, finance,manufacturing, is astute and knows what we want to buy. He makes cars and especially Mustangs that rock. GM is a mess and limping along. Lutz quit twice in frustration. Camaro guys are stuck until the GM leadership is wiling to put an engineering budget in place, hire the best and kick ***. Mercedes tried to improve Chrysler and did so. They got so involved that the car quality from Germany suffered. They bailed out and Chrysler is now about to fold. GM is focused on Washigton DC not US muscle cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

I dont think you are going to get a 3350lb 4-seater Camaro that has quality and durability.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by graham
I dont think you are going to get a 3350lb 4-seater Camaro that has quality and durability.

Cant please everyone I guess.
I remember how many complaints people had about the 4th gens.
Now its kind of the opposite and you still get complaints.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 PM

beat by the challenger? lmao, yea right!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM

The new 5.0 Mustang is a better car than the Camaro SS or Challenger R/T-SRT-8 period. Better performance is what sells enthusiast and overall looks is what sells new buyers. I'd say all three cars are still great in their own ways though. What I don't understand though is how the slow Challenger somehow did better then the Camaro

Quick Reply: new motortrend