2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I just don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 PM

Re: I just don't get it...

Originally Posted by RussStang
The 3rd gen didn't exactly start out on a light platform either. Dan's point is that the car could be inexpensive to make light if it wasn't based off of a Caddy platform, and he is probably right. GM likely saw that Ford could make a successful Mustang off of a Lincoln LS platform, and they followed the example.
I see where you are going and in a way I agree...

but if you were the supreme ruler of GM what platform would you put the Camaro on?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I see where you are going and in a way I agree...

but if you were the supreme ruler of GM what platform would you put the Camaro on?
Dunno. Good thing I am not the supreme ruler of GM, just an observer. But Dan is likely correct. If the platform was designed with moderate vehicle weight in mind, the car wouldn't weigh what it might come in at. Of course, this is still all speculation, as the last few words in my last sentence point out.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 AM

But what about ergonomics? Would a smaller platform sacrifice interior space, rear legroom, etc? That's dooming the car to the same fate of the last one.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure sounds like a lot of folks on this message board and in the F-body community in general WANT this car to fail. When have Camaros ever been fly weights? The later 2nd gens certainly weren't. The big block 1st gens weren't exactly light. Do you want a 5th gen that weighs in like one of the lighter 3rd gens? Better get ready for some of those 3rd gen amenities then, like hand crank windows, no power door locks, and forget XM and Onstar. And a 500hp model? Why? So it can win some meaningless magazine showdown with the Cobra (or not, depending on gotta have factor)? Give us a LSX that's not impossible to turn wrenches on and the aftermarket can make it as fast as you want...till your money runs out.
100% Agree.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by shadydavy 95 TA
I hope I'm wrong, but it sure sounds like a lot of folks on this message board and in the F-body community in general WANT this car to fail.
I certainly don't want to see it fail either way, but I *would* prefer it to be something I want to buy.

When have Camaro's been flyweights?
Never, but I don't consider 3200 lb. to be "flyweight". I think it should be a middleweight rather than a heavyweight is all.

The big block 1st gens weren't exactly light.
Like RussStang, a big-block wouldn't be my choice in a first-gen.

Do you want a 5th gen that weighs in like one of the lighter 3rd gens? Better get ready for some of those 3rd gen amenities then, like hand crank windows, no power door locks, and forget XM and Onstar.
FWIW, electric windows are often lighter-weight than hand-crank. Power door locks, XM, and OnStar add very little to weight (not that I need that latter two anyway).

And a 500hp model? Why? So it can win some meaningless magazine showdown with the Cobra (or not, depending on gotta have factor)? Give us a LSX that's not impossible to turn wrenches on and the aftermarket can make it as fast as you want...till your money runs out.
Agreed. I don't think a 500hp model is necessary. And again, I'm w/ RussStang, if it's not too much of a pig, it could stomp the competition with WAY less than 500hp (particularly in roadracing or autoX).

If *I* were supreme ruler of GM?
I would make a line of mid to small (by today's standards) rwd vehicles. A sedan (Nova? Chevy III? no good names come to mind), a coupe/hatch (Camaro), a 3-door wagon (Nomad), a 5-door wagon, and maybe even a 5-door hatch a la Mazda 6. All in the ~2700 - 3300 lb. weight range, with 4-cyl, 6-cyl, and 8-cyl models scattered throughout in some fasion.

If I were limited to today's platforms for the Camaro, I would've started with the Solstice/Sky (I would've delayed those models if necessary to make the platform shareable with other vehicles).

When do I start?!

Oh yeah, and I'd make the Solstice Coupe!

Last edited by Dan Baldwin; 06-21-2006 at 03:24 PM.