2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I find myself asking this question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM

Re: I find myself asking this question...

What do you mean by showy? The Ram Air was more functional on the 02 Camaro than it was the 02 Trans AM? T-Tops were more functional on the Camaro but were for looks on the T/A What are you talking about?
I'm just saying that Firebird has always had more visual impact, inside and out, like more chrome, red-light gages, spoilers, airdams, decals etc...that's all.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
I'm just saying that Firebird has always had more visual impact, inside and out, like more chrome, red-light gages, spoilers, airdams, decals etc...that's all.
Showy as in Flashy high profile like things like a chopper motorcycle eye catcher type is the way I interpret that then. I have to disagree. Going to the 69 Camaro as the best example, you have the agressive V grille that the 5thgen has. But you also have a thin Chrome outline that ran along the grille, with the headlights standing out in the recessed grille. The front spoiler juts out from under the turn signals. Of course the cowl hood and fender flairs became more fender swooshes... The bow tie in the center the way it is on 5th gen, very flashy chrome bumpers mirrors and shark gills. Also Chrome Rally Caps and Beauty Rings and Chrome Camaro Script Emblems. Rear spoiler, and Racing Strips to boot.

On the other hand the 69 Firebird has painted split flat front end with chrome in the center of the grille. Ram Air however the same agressive spoiler. Vents behind the front wheels. Same wheel swooshes Chrome mirror and rear bumper.

If anything, Id say they were just different style... Just offering a little variety when and if the market is there... I think a two seater firebird would be neat, or a up scale in the way G35 is to Z350 if the market does come around for one. I think its fair to see what happens with Camaro for a while. Chrysler reportedly has said in relation to Challenger "We have other things to do before we play with this" Im paraphrasing. And Chrysler has Mercedees backing. Given the state of GM now, we could have two sub par cars, or consolidate and let Camaro earn its way back into the market place with a fair shot and see if there is room for another. Charger is ALOT more muscle car than the 300 which doesnt even sound like its running when your standing next to it. Not much overlap it seems. There are 11 Mustangs still on the lot by my work. It has to be nerve racking for GM...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 AM

I think it isn't too much of a stretch to say that the 2nd and 4th gen Trans Ams were more showy than the Camaro.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by RussStang
I think it isn't too much of a stretch to say that the 2nd and 4th gen Trans Ams were more showy than the Camaro.
I've heard "gaudy" used for the Firebird, too.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 PM

Im assuming by pointing specifically to the 2nd and 4th that it doesnt apply to the 1st and 3rd in your opinion.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Look at '67 (one of which I owned for several years, 400ci P/G) and '68...
Firebird had a HUGE chrome bumper surrounding the grill and headlights, fish gills behind the doors, sorta cowl hood, little firebird emblems on fuel cap and fenders, 2 big nostril scoops, etc...making the same year Camaro's almost bland.
3rd gens:
Large wrap around spoilers, gold BBS wheels, pop-up headlights, turbo hoods(why???), all red gages, more leather....but they did offer more variety in the '80's, probably why someone reffered more to 2nd and 4th gens...but you get the picture...and all that adds weight too.
I'm not saying performance wasn't comparable...don't get me wrong...just, they had more flair, and that's true.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 PM

I can see the argument against 2 chevrolet coupes (camaro and monte carlo) easier than I can see the argument for a firebird and camaro.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM

Firebird had a HUGE chrome bumper surrounding the grill and headlights, fish gills behind the doors, sorta cowl hood, little firebird emblems on fuel cap and fenders, 2 big nostril scoops, etc...making the same year Camaro's almost bland.
3rd gens:
Large wrap around spoilers, gold BBS wheels, pop-up headlights, turbo hoods(why???), all red gages, more leather....but they did offer more variety in the '80's, probably why someone reffered more to 2nd and 4th gens...but you get the picture...and all that adds weight too.
I'm not saying performance wasn't comparable...don't get me wrong...just, they had more flair, and that's true.
Yes I agree theyve always been different styles. but...

The 67 Camaro SS RS had hide away headlights, vents in the hood, though I dont think functional, Full Front and rear chrome bumper. Rally wheels Rally caps beauty rings and Rear spoiler.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The BIG problem with Firebird is, that it's most vocal supporters want it to be nothing more or less than a tweaked Camaro, with essentially no difference in it's formula, market or niche. That worked in the days when you could sell 100,000 Trans Ams per year (that's Trans Am only ), but it just doesn't work when Camaro and Mustang combined will capture over 80% of the current coupe market.
You nailed it like a broad who was interested when you were alone but acted like she didn't want it when her friends were around.

How much credibility can you really have when your arguement is I want a car that has "A through G" but I won't buy a Camaro because it has "A" through "F" with "G" being a pointy nose?

It sounds infantile to me.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Im assuming by pointing specifically to the 2nd and 4th that it doesnt apply to the 1st and 3rd in your opinion.
As far as appearance, no. I don't think the 1st or 3rd gen Firebirds were more outlandish. The 2nd and 4th gen cars could be easily more outlandish than their counterpart Camaros though, with the appropriate trim level.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 AM

As far as appearance, no. I don't think the 1st or 3rd gen Firebirds were more outlandish. The 2nd and 4th gen cars could be easily more outlandish than their counterpart Camaros though, with the appropriate trim level.
Well one thing I THINK we can agree on is that they are two different styles. I consider the Concept somewhat flashy/showy with the gills, the cowl and the after burner tail lights. But without being gaudy. If this discussion has done nothing else, its really highlighted in a way I hadnt realized the depth of what would have to be done to differentiate the cars.

To me Firebird has always appeared more areodynamic, where as the Camaro appeared somewhat stylish brute.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 AM

Bland you say?

No one has ever called my 67 Camaro bland. She still gets stares everytime I bring her out in public.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Bland you say?

No one has ever called my 67 Camaro bland. She still gets stares everytime I bring her out in public.
NICE CAR!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately I had to sell the 69 but this was it...

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 06-16-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
He'll never buy one, because it doesn't have 4 doors and people his age don't climb through the front seat.

People his age?

How old is he????

My mother -- who got her first Camaro (it was a demo ...) on September 30, 1966 -- and many after that one -- is --- well, I'd tell you how old she is, but she'd ground me til I was 81. (that was a hint) --- is still driving a Camaro -- an '02 T-top -- and she laughs when she hears anyone say that a Camaro or Firebird is hard to get into........
Talk about pressure-- she keeps reminding me that she's not getting any younger and we'd better hurry up and get this car done!!!

Seriously -- yes, I know that 2-doors are a turn-off to a lot of people -- and the market proves that!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 AM

Camaros were always styled better. The Pontiacs looked like they tried too hard most of the time.

Quick Reply: I find myself asking this question...